Poetic, beautiful and inspiring dharma books

thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 1 Month ago at 3/6/24 6:07 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/6/24 6:04 PM

Poetic, beautiful and inspiring dharma books

I have been on a bit of a poetry thing lately. Writing some and reading some old Turks and Persians. It has me thinking, are there any dharma books that have particularly beautiful verse or prose?

Besides the sutthas I havent read many dharma books for some time. I find the Tibetans have great poetry but can be a bit too coy/illusive. The dharma books I've received the most practical value from tend to be very pragmatic. I am largely unread in the world of Zen/Mahayana though I suspect some of what I'm pining after may be found within. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Month ago at 3/8/24 6:06 AM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/6/24 6:13 PM

RE: Poetic, beautiful and inspiring dharma books

"Moon in a Dewdrop" - a wonderful anthology of Zen Master Dogen's imaginative, poetic and descriptive writings on realization, reality, and dharma. This is a can't miss classic.
‎ ‎Nihila, modified 1 Month ago at 3/6/24 6:53 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/6/24 6:53 PM

Tao Te Ching comes to mind. Perhaps not Buddhist in essence but still beautiful and poetic.
Janice Barrett, modified 1 Month ago at 3/24/24 9:01 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/24/24 9:01 PM

Chris M
"Moon in a Dewdrop" - a wonderful anthology of Zen Master Dogen's imaginative, poetic and descriptive writings on realization, reality, and dharma. This is a can't miss classic. mario games

I've heard of this book but they seem to be sold out in stores around where I live. Does anyone know where I can buy or read it online? I would be very grateful for advice.
thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 1 Month ago at 3/24/24 10:04 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/24/24 10:04 PM

https://terebess.hu/zen/dogen/Moon-in-a-dewdrop.pdf
Martin, modified 25 Days ago at 4/1/24 12:37 PM
Created 25 Days ago at 4/1/24 12:37 PM

This is not exactly poetry and not a Buddhist dharma book, but I have really enjoyed the Mahabharata and particularly this English version: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/22253716 which is very readable (at the expense of fidelity to the original). As epics go, it kicks ass, and makes the Greek stuff look tame. But it is chock-full of philosophy, including the Bhagavad Gita, and strange stories, and was composed over a long period of time overlapping, at the start, with the Buddha's lifetime, and so it is a window into the ideas that were in the air at the time and in the period after the Buddha's death. But, mostly, it's a great read. 
shargrol, modified 25 Days ago at 4/1/24 2:18 PM
Created 25 Days ago at 4/1/24 2:18 PM

This is low on poetry but I find it inpiring in a practical way: Already Free: Tift, Bruce: 9781622034116: Amazon.com: Books

Breadcrumb