Mid-Brain point

thumbnail
Oliver Myth, modified 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 1:20 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 1:19 AM

Mid-Brain point

Hello DhO!
I've heard some people reference a Mid-brain point or something to that effect. Here is something Nickolai said in my practice thread:

Nickolai:
The cluster of sensations in the brain would have a gross mental overlay of 'I' and would be (for me) where the centrepoint of self would reside pre-MCTB4th. It then was seen to be just a cluster of sensations post MCTB4th with a mental overlay with no 'centrepoint' status. Both sensations and mental overlay arose and passed in a much more sticky-free and obviously transient manifestation.

It was this same cluster of sensations which I saw as just sensations and no mental overlay, mixed in with all the other sensations in the head and chest right right before I got my first cessation (1st path). It also seems that it is this same area with the mental overlay (as well as sensations in certain chakra spots) which got actualised with the 7th, 2nd and 6th jhana actual aspects and led to further shifts when the mental overlay of 'shadow' dropped away.

Could people who have noted this or something similar mark on a picture where exactly they sense this in the brain or any other interesting comments/sensations in the head area? Anything at all would be interesting. Remember: naievite, Who knows what good information you have stuck in your head that might help someone emoticon

Here is a good picture to use:

Thanks all,
Oliver
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 2:29 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 2:29 AM

RE: Mid-Brain point

Check this link for some advice Bruno once gave. There is a diagram with a point in the brain that might help.

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/page/Collection+of+tips+to+get+stream+entry
Stian Gudmundsen Høiland, modified 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 3:40 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 3:39 AM

For the lazy ones:

thumbnail
Oliver Myth, modified 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 4:13 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 4:12 AM

Fair enough. Would one describe the sensations taken as center point with any one of the sense doors or other category of perception in particular, like touch, thought, feeling, etc? Are they a mix?

When the link says it is "behind the eyes, around where the third eye point is", should I take that to mean directly level with the eyes, between the eyebrows, or slightly above the eyebrows? I have heard the third eye point as being in several of these places (and none of them are where the little picture shows). I think there may be a subtle but significant difference between them. I have practiced looking at the points a bit, so don't think I am just looking for theory to psycho-obsess about. I'm looking for some inquiry material.

It is worth noting that there are no actual nerves within the brain cavity. Would that make sensations impossible inside the brain cavity? Would that suggest that this center point has a physical location that is accessible (since it would be inaccessible inside the brain cavity) that can be found with a certain sense door (touch)? Can it be stimulated physically? Is it worth stimulating physically?

These are some of the things I am asking myself. Now I am asking myself if I can find or feel any sort of "third-eye complex"* and how that works for me (allowing for the fact that everyone's physiology is slightly different, it only matters if I find mine).

Oliver

*as mentioned in the link
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 1:09 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/13/12 1:09 PM

Oliver Myth:
Fair enough. Would one describe the sensations taken as center point with any one of the sense doors or other category of perception in particular, like touch, thought, feeling, etc? Are they a mix?

When the link says it is "behind the eyes, around where the third eye point is", should I take that to mean directly level with the eyes, between the eyebrows, or slightly above the eyebrows? I have heard the third eye point as being in several of these places (and none of them are where the little picture shows). I think there may be a subtle but significant difference between them. I have practiced looking at the points a bit, so don't think I am just looking for theory to psycho-obsess about. I'm looking for some inquiry material.

It is worth noting that there are no actual nerves within the brain cavity. Would that make sensations impossible inside the brain cavity? Would that suggest that this center point has a physical location that is accessible (since it would be inaccessible inside the brain cavity) that can be found with a certain sense door (touch)? Can it be stimulated physically? Is it worth stimulating physically?

These are some of the things I am asking myself. Now I am asking myself if I can find or feel any sort of "third-eye complex"* and how that works for me (allowing for the fact that everyone's physiology is slightly different, it only matters if I find mine).

Oliver

*as mentioned in the link

What i realized recently is that there is a conceiving of form in certain places in the body due to habitual patterns of placing attention. The above description is one of the habitual patterns I recognise in my own experience. Perhaps it is not par tof yours and if it is not, and you do not recognise it as being a habit, then don't make it into a new habit of placing attention there. However if you see it already is a habit you see something that wasn't seen before and can stop concieving.

They are just sensations and a slight mental overlay in my own current expericne around that spot due to habitual patterns.
thumbnail
Oliver Myth, modified 12 Years ago at 2/15/12 4:50 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/15/12 4:46 AM

I like that. I will most definitely not craft or create anything new by refocusing attention on new areas. I really don't need to, I'm aware of plenty of pleasant patterns and movements of body/awareness that keep me feeling the warm and fuzzies.

I'm sure I will need reminding of what you are saying in the future tho (maybe?)... It makes me sad to think that.

On another note, I've recently become aware of how the body lights up on it's own. It's quite pleasant and non-attachment-esqe. That would be the normal natural way that we sense things physically, yes? Especially as opposed to directed attention to parts of the body. Maybe that's already common sense to you

Thanks,
Oliver