Nathan's Practice Log: Live from the Pacific Crest Trail

thumbnail
Nathan Frank, modified 12 Years ago at 4/9/12 11:05 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/9/12 11:05 PM

Nathan's Practice Log: Live from the Pacific Crest Trail

I'm leaving in 6 days to hike the PCT. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is a hiking trail that runs from Mexico to Canada. I'm very excited to have the opportunity to mediate outdoors in a different location for the next five or so months. I don't know how often I will be able to update this, but I am going to at least try as I am desirous to be part of a dharma community... Even if it is only online! Who knows, perhaps some unforeseen good may come of it.

I am taking a break from reading The progress of Insight by Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw while I write this. This is a different style of meditation than what I am used to, but I believe that if I am open-minded and willing to take the suggestions he makes, that I will get what he says they result in.

I make a goal to spend the next three days practicing this form of meditation exclusively.

-N
thumbnail
Nathan Frank, modified 12 Years ago at 4/14/12 7:03 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/14/12 6:58 PM

RE: Nathan's Practice Log: Live from the Pacific Crest Trail

For the last three days I have practiced the method of basic insight meditation as suggested by Ven. Mahasi Sayodaw. Like any new endeavor, judging my progress by my feelings of enthusiasm or frustration is probably not a good measure of facts. It was recently suggested to me that since uncertainty is a hindrance to concentration, to focus on and start from a position of what I am certain of. So, what do I know for certain regarding my practice as it relates to this new stage of development? To be honest, I feel that all I am certain about thus far I said a moment ago: Feelings aren't facts. Keep practicing regardless of them, good or bad, and more will be revealed.

I am also willing to be certain of the following "on loan" until I am able to be certain of it through the purchase of my direct experience:

"At the moment of breathing in, there is just the rising movement of the abdomen and the knowing of the movement, but there is no self besides; at the moment of breathing out, there is just the falling movement of the abdomen and the knowing of the movement, but there is no self besides" - Ven. Mahasi Sayodaw, The Progress of Insight

GOAL: I will continue to practice this form of meditation and to do so in a spirit of joy.

PS: I leave to begin my PCT hike in two days!
The Meditator, modified 12 Years ago at 4/15/12 5:07 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/15/12 5:03 PM

RE: Nathan's Practice Log: Live from the Pacific Crest Trail

Nathan,
I did not know it before, it seems amazing, PCT Only I do not understand where you will take time for your meditation during your trip but I think you will have enough walking meditation.emoticon
I wish you luck
Meditator

Breadcrumb