Announcements Announcements

DhO Hacked and Upgrade

General

ATTENTION!: It appears that our server has been hacked through this version of Liferay, meaning it is no longer secure, and so expect instability as we deal with this and attempt to upgrade to Liferay 7, which we failed to be able to do last year the last time the team attempted it, but we have no choice at this point, so bear with us as we try again. Save any long posts in a text file before posting them. You can follow me on Twitter at @danielmingram for updates if the site is down. Apologies for any complexity this causes. We will work as fast as we can. We have backups of the database, so hopefully nothing will be lost. Thanks to all helping with this complex process.

Message Boards Message Boards

Minding the gap
Answer
1/20/10 8:36 PM
Hello!

I haven't posted here very much but used to post some at the old site -- perhaps some of you recognise my handle.

Anyway, practice has been hit or miss for a while, but lately I've been able to get back into it. Last night I was sitting and had an insight. I was doing Shinzen Young-style noting, categorising everything into one of the senses -- seeing (anything in my visual field -- eyes closed), touching (all tactile sensations), feeling (emotional), hearing, smelling, tasting (not much of that) and thinking. Not paying attention to content, just which sense door. I found that I could generally sense two streams at once, say, seeing and touching. One would be much stronger, the other weaker. I think Daniel states in MTCB that the brain is a single-threaded sensory processor and only one sense can be in awareness at a time. If that's true, my observational skills are not yet keen enough to see it. Regardless, my insight was that when there was a context switch between whichever was primary and another one, I saw that for a brief instant the other would disappear. So if I was seeing with touching in the background, and my attention shifted to hearing, there was a momentary realisation that there was no seeing awareness at all. I guess "no eye consciousness" would be the technical term. If I was seeing that I was hearing and seeing that I was touching, I could also see that I wasn't seeing seeing, see? ;-) The awareness was fleeting, and just as quickly as I could detect it the condition would vanish.

I'm still trying to figure out how this fits in...

Comments welcome!

Cheers!