Help with noting whilst sitting.

thumbnail
Piers M, modified 11 Years ago at 7/24/12 1:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/24/12 1:52 PM

Help with noting whilst sitting.

I think I pretty much get what I'm "supposed" to be doing on a Mahsi style retreat as regards noting when I'm doing formal slow walking as well as goin about my other day to day business viz. eating, bathing, walking around etc.
My question is what exactly should I be doing or noting when I am in sitting meditation. From reading Mahasi Sayadaw's "Practical Insight Meditation"my understanding is that you are not supposed to mentally note the rising and falling of the abdomen (RAFA for short) but rather just observe this process. The noting aspect comes in when sensations in the body arise and you turn your attention towards them instead. For examples you've been sitting a while observing RAFA when your knee starts to throb and you note "throbbing" or there's an itching snesation in your nostril and you note "itching" or you hear the bark of a dog and note "hearing" etc. And when nothing in particular areises you turn your attention back to observing RAFA. [It's worth saying that despite reading this from Mahasi Sayadaw's words, a teacher in Thailand actually told me to note RAFA - but maybe something got lost in translation as his English was not fluent]
1) Is this more or less correct so far?
2) Without wanting to jump the gun, what comes next as it were? I've already spent years using the "Goenka Method" seemingly without much progress. I've done countless retreats observing bodily sensations not at a subtle level either but mainly gross). I can already forsee that I might end up noting this or that initially when sitting for an hour but then ending up noting the pain in my knee for example again and again and again... "pain" "pain" "pain" plus getting perhaps bored and frustrated with that (and then noting that too).
I'm not quite sure what has kept me going back for more (Goenka courses) except for an understanding or deep faith that it's well worth trying despite the lack of progress for want of a better word. However, now I feel the time is right to immerse myself in another way of practice.
Thanks if you can help.
Piers.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 11 Years ago at 7/25/12 3:47 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/25/12 3:47 PM

RE: Help with noting whilst sitting.

Hi, Piers. What are you hoping to achieve from your practice?

Piers Mackeown:
...I might end up noting this or that initially when sitting for an hour but then ending up noting the pain in my knee for example again and again and again... "pain" "pain" "pain" plus getting perhaps bored and frustrated with that (and then noting that too).

Hmm, are you returning attention to RAFA between each noting of "pain?"

BTW, I don't know what they require of you at a Goenka retreat, but it's generally not necessary to cause yourself discomfort while sitting. Sitting in a chair is usually perfectly adequate. If you must sit in a posture which puts tension on the kneecap, try stretching the quadruceps beforehand.

Breadcrumb