Deepak Chopra, Robert Thurman - Vedanta and Buddha

Kalyan MitraG, modified 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 12:22 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 12:22 PM

Deepak Chopra, Robert Thurman - Vedanta and Buddha

Deepak Chopra and Robert Thurman dialogue on the topic of Vedanta. The ONLY cause of suffering is "not knowing the true nature of reality". Self realization and the means by which we come to understand the ultimate nature of reality is vital to true happiness.

Bob is very funny and insightful, Deepak is Deepak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_dZ4pc3vA

Enjoy it.

Metta
This Good Self, modified 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 8:39 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 8:37 PM

RE: Deepak Chopra, Robert Thurman - Vedanta and Buddha

Regarding Deepak... I always tend to jump to his defense!

In musical circles, there's a certain group of people who believe that the more obscure and esoteric and unpopular the music, the better it is. But that's just because they themselves are obscure, esoteric and unpopular... and there's a need to validate the self this way. There's also a belief in rarity value: "the more rare I am, the more valuable. The harder I am to understand, the more intelligent". They fall into the trap of self-validation by praising something external that is "like me".... viz. obscure and unpopular.

Deepak is to western spirituality as The Beatles are to music. Maybe not as cool or as beatnik as the Venerable Bhukatamaniprjkfnnslwjkezxjkrd, but far more useful and down to earth. People, musicians, restaurants...they become popular for a reason. Deepak's work is straight-forward, no nonsense and complete. I don't mind that he's not enlightened. I am impressed by the fact that he doesn't wear saffron robes nor walk around like he's trying to keep his head from moving too much (have you seen these guys?emoticon ).

After all is said and done, it's just about finding a way to keep attention steady and quiet the mind, isn't it?

Thanks for the link.
Kalyan MitraG, modified 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 9:35 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/4/12 9:35 PM

Yes, I agree with you about Deepak. I only meant it in a positive way. Deepak is unique, one of kind, has been doing this for 30+ years. I love his books and speeches. Just brilliant.
This Good Self, modified 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 12:00 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 12:00 AM

oh sorry. I jumped to conclusions!
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 2:20 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/5/12 2:20 PM

Deepak Chopra is worse than SARS.
Robert McLune, modified 11 Years ago at 10/8/12 1:20 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/8/12 1:20 AM

Kalyan MitraG:
Deepak Chopra and Robert Thurman dialogue on the topic of Vedanta. The ONLY cause of suffering is "not knowing the true nature of reality". Self realization and the means by which we come to understand the ultimate nature of reality is vital to true happiness.

Bob is very funny and insightful, Deepak is Deepak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_dZ4pc3vA

Thank you for that. Completely turned around my view of Chopra.

Breadcrumb