Recommendation -- for the scientifically trained, skeptical newbie

Robert McLune, modified 11 Years ago at 11/21/12 5:57 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/21/12 5:57 PM

Recommendation -- for the scientifically trained, skeptical newbie

(This will be old hat to the veterans -- I'm talking here to people like me but maybe a month or year behind me in the process of figuring out what All This is about.)

The post's subject describes me. I am trained in science (doctoral level and beyond), and don't like touchy feely, new-age-ish fluff. So as I practice, I continue to read and study, sifting what I consider gems out of the large volumes of what I consider dross. In that quest for understanding, I recently came upon Shinzen Young (hat tip to Mario for pointing me in that direction).

I've just watched this Google Talk of Young's, and I found it quite simply jaw dropping. As far as is possible, he completely strips out everything that appears as fluff to the newcomer -- he talks about taking the "mist" out -- and produces a carefully constructed, lucid description of Buddhist meditation (although it's clear he believes the underlying "core" technology is more widespread than Buddhism) and what it's all about. He builds to a conclusion that is on the one hand, quietly articulate and stripped of emotion, but on the other hand ... well I don't think "thrilling" is too strong a word for it.

If you're curious about what All This is about, but find that a lot of what you read and hear leaves you bemused and asking "WTF are you *talking* about!?", then watch this video. It's long, but I can't recommend it highly enough. The overall impact for me was as quickly as possible to get to my computer so I could write this recommendation so I could then get onto my ass and get to work with practice.

Run, don't walk, to listen to this guy. Me, I'm off to sit.
John Wilde, modified 11 Years ago at 11/21/12 6:17 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/21/12 6:17 PM

RE: Recommendation -- for the scientifically trained, skeptical n

I like him too. If you haven't already seen this, check it out:

www.shinzen.org/Retreat%20Reading/FiveWays.pdf

It's delightfully geeky; the guy is a compulsive systematiser, but in a light and playful way.
Robert McLune, modified 11 Years ago at 11/22/12 12:26 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/22/12 12:26 AM

RE: Recommendation -- for the scientifically trained, skeptical n

John Wilde:
I like him too. If you haven't already seen this, check it out:

www.shinzen.org/Retreat%20Reading/FiveWays.pdf

It's delightfully geeky; the guy is a compulsive systematiser, but in a light and playful way.

I've been looking at it over the past few days. I'd swear he's trying to build an algebra of mindfulness! I really hope he doesn't though, 'cos you just know some kid would then come along and Gödel the shit out of it and then where will be? emoticon

Breadcrumb