Choice quotes from MCTB

thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 8:21 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 8:20 AM

Choice quotes from MCTB

It's been a year since I downloaded and started to read Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha. I'm not sure how to commemorate this day besides posting a few passages from the book that stick with me still and inform my practice:

right after the Analogy of Shootin’ Aliens:
I have already mentioned numerous possible exercises, perspectives and emphases that may be used when exploring our reality for the purpose of awakening, and I will continue to mention more as we go along. However, I recommend that the foundation of your practice be The Seven Factors of Enlightenment investigation of the Three Characteristics of the sensations that make up your reality. If you find it too complicated to try to investigate all Three Characteristics at once, then I recommend quick and precise investigation of impermanence. If this seems too difficult, I have found the simple practice of noting very quickly to be more than sufficiently powerful for gaining clear and direct insights into the true nature of thing. Should you find that the numerous instructions and avenues of inquiry I present to be too confusing, remember this paragraph and stick to these simple but profound practices. “When in doubt, note it out!” (pp.43-44)

Inner relationship between compassion and dukkha:
As stated earlier, a helpful concept here is compassion, a heart aspect of the practice and reality related to kindness. You see, wherever there is desire there is suffering, and wherever there is suffering there is compassion, the desire for the end of suffering. You can actually experience this. So obviously there is some really close relationship between suffering, desire and compassion. This is heavy but good stuff and worth investigating. (pp.62-63)

Example of strong insight practice:
This last example is a description of practice from a particularly strong and advanced practitioner. “I sat down on the cushion and the cycles of insight presented themselves effortlessly. There was a shift, and very fine, fast vibrations arose instantly, dropping down quickly, and then they shifted out, getting vague for a few seconds. Concentration restabilized and revealed the quick ending of sensations one after the other, perhaps 5-10 per second, and then things began thickening somewhat, getting somewhat irritating, but vibrations remained the predominant experience. It was just that their unsatisfactory aspect became more predominant, and there were a few sensations relating to the Big Issue.

“I may have noticed a few hints of what dualistic perspectives remain and the basic pain and confusion they cause. There was a shift, and a more panoramic and easy perspective arose, accompanied by more coherent and synchronized vibrations including most of sensate reality, including much of space, at perhaps 5-15 per second. There was a short period of barely noticeable but mature equanimity in the face of these as the vibrations became more inclusive. Any sense of practicing dropped away entirely.

“A minute later, two of the Three Characteristics presented completely in quick succession, including the whole background of space, revealing something incomprehensible in the nature of subject and object, and reality vanished. Reality reappeared quiet, clear, beautiful and easy. I solidified space in that afterglow so as to enjoy the formless realms for a few minutes, rising up through them and back down to boundless space. A vision relating to the Big Issue arose.

“I stabilized on the vision, noticing the feeling of it, and before I knew it I was out of body, traveling in a strange realm, having interactions that replayed the issue of the Big Issue in symbolic or mythic form. I saw something about this issue that I never had before, how an old, unexamined and fictitious train of associations lead to my inability to come to some more balanced understanding of this issue. This epiphany broke my concentration, and I returned to my body. I then dropped out of the formless realms, allowing a new insight cycle to begin again. When I got up off the cushion, I noticed that the psychological insights that arose in the other realm gave me an increased sense of humor and a more compassionate perspective towards those involved in this issue. They were just trying to be happy, just as we all are. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.” (pp.130-131)

There are other passages, but these are the three that immediately popped into my mind.

What are some of yours?
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 10:16 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 10:16 AM

RE: Choice quotes from MCTB

Fitter Stoke:
It's been a year since I downloaded and started to read Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha. I'm not sure how to commemorate this day besides posting a few passages from the book that stick with me still and inform my practice:

As stated earlier, a helpful concept here is compassion, a heart aspect of the practice and reality related to kindness. You see, wherever there is desire there is suffering, and wherever there is suffering there is compassion, the desire for the end of suffering. You can actually experience this. So obviously there is some really close relationship between suffering, desire and compassion. This is heavy but good stuff and worth investigating. (pp.62-63)

I remember that I never really understood this passage. The statements imply that if there is "desire for the end of suffering" there will be more suffering, because "wherever there is desire there is suffering", so to end suffering you have to at least get rid of your desire to do so...
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 10:26 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 10:26 AM

RE: Choice quotes from MCTB

Morgan Gunnarsson:
Fitter Stoke:

I remember that I never really understood this passage. The statements imply that if there is "desire for the end of suffering" there will be more suffering, because "wherever there is desire there is suffering", so to end suffering you have to at least get rid of your desire to do so...

It's not the case that all desiring leads to suffering, though. Any attempt to develop a skill - be it swimming, speaking French, or meditating - involves desire. When it comes to ending stress, though, some paths are better than others. This is where discrimination comes in.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu talks about this subject almost endlessly. If you look into his essays and talks, you'll find plenty to satisfy your curiosity.

Breadcrumb