Ping-Pong Noting [aka Social Noting] Networking Thread

thumbnail
Alan Smithee, modified 11 Years ago at 3/8/13 12:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/8/13 12:47 PM

Ping-Pong Noting [aka Social Noting] Networking Thread

This thread is for those interested in practicing Ping-Pong Noting [aka Social Noting] with other practioners to be able to connect.

As far as I can tell, Ping-Pong Noting as I currently discuss it was developed by Kenneth Folk. The technique involves two [or more, I suppose] practioners -- who are connected via Skype, phone, or some other gadget or technology [but it can also be done in person!] -- "noting" back and forth between each other.

As Kenneth recently posted on his website: "Social noting offers a window into another human’s moment-by-moment experience, sharing and receiving in a profoundly intimate but non-threatening way. Social noting builds on an ancient Buddhist mindfulness (satipatthana) technique, making it interactive.

"Two (or more) people can call out their experience together, back and forth, ping pong style (or around a circle), using simple, one-word labels for experience as it arises. 'Seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, smelling, thinking, fear, joy, loneliness, love, anger, connection, itching, tingling, burning, pressure, lightness, heaviness, anxiety, hope'… all of these experiences can be shared with another human being as they occur, two people becoming one, simultaneously witnessing and normalizing each others’ experience. Social noting is the closest thing we have to Mr. Spock’s Vulcan mind meld from the original Star Trek television show. But social noting doesn’t feel kooky or even invasive; it just feels great."

A Ping-Pong Noting [or PPN] session can last 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes -- or however damn long you want it to! -- 45 or 60 minutes: This is a decision made between the two practioners before the session begins.

Kenneth recommends that: "It is understood that this call is exclusively for the purpose of noting together; there will be no ordinary conversation, and when the agreed-upon time has ended, both people will say goodbye and hang up. This agreement to just note, without chitchat, and to promptly end the call when the timer ends, is what makes the pop-noting protocol work."

You can read Kenneth's complete article here The Pop-noting Protocol

What I recommend is that people who are interested should simply post their forum names on this tread. One should also include 1) the general times [and time zone!] and days an individual is available, 2) the length of the sessions they'd be interested in, 3) the method of communication they'd prefer to utilize for the practice, 4) your cutting edge of practice AND meditative techinques you utilize, and 5) your goals and aspirations for engaging in social noting. Then, folks who are interested in participating can contact that person via the "messages" function on the site. After receiving the private message, the communications can continue from there -- in private.

Obviously, I don't recommend putting ANY personal information [phone numbers, emails, addresses, etc.] on this thread. Simply put the above listed data and then continue the communications in private.

If you post on the thread that you are interested in social noting, but, down the line, find that your circumstances change, you can always come back and EDIT your information on the thread, thus changing your details, or simply writing "I am not available for Social Noting at this time," etc.

PPN is a great way to reinforce practice. It is also a great way to create and sustain SANGHA -- a community of practioners.
thumbnail
Alan Smithee, modified 11 Years ago at 3/8/13 12:59 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/8/13 12:56 PM

RE: Ping-Pong Noting [aka Social Noting] Networking Thread

Alan Smithee

1) I'm central time. My availabilities are generally M-Fs, in the mornings and/or afternoons. Weekends are usually bad because I tend to have a ton of stuff to do, but Saturday sessions can occasionally [though infrequently] be arranged.

2) I'd be good for verbal noting sessions lasting anywhere from 10 minutes to 60 minutes, depending on availability.

3) I'd prefer to have sessions via Skype.

4) I am pre-1st Path. I'd consider myself a chronic EQ yogi. I'll be practicing 4 Foundations noting [sensations, feeling-tones, mind-states, thoughts] during social noting sessions, but you can use whatever style of noting your prefer, I don't care.

5) My goal in engaging in social PPNing is to help reinforce my noting practice [I'm relatively new to noting], and also to help me develop my verbal noting for longer and longer periods. On my own, when verbal noting, I generally peter out after 20 minutes or so, but I find that when social noting I tend to sustain it longer.
thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 3/8/13 7:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/8/13 7:52 PM

1) I'm +3 hrs from Greenwich time-zone. Available in the afternoons / evenings on M-F, and anytime in Saturday.

2) Noting out-loud, for 20 minutes (Usually by that time I switch to silent noting).

3) Skype only.

4) I'm Pre-Path, bouncing between DÑ and EQ. I'll be practicing 4FN but focusing in body sensations and feeling-tones only, and occasionally note mental states and thoughts. This is my practice nowadays, and it would be easier for me as English is not my native language.

5) Goal: compare notes (no pun intended emoticon ) and see if the group practice shows additional benefits, or interesting stuff like tuning into the same ñanas. For that to be possible I don't know if the notes should include body parts, eg. tension-throat, compression-chest, etc.
Bjorn Hjelte, modified 11 Years ago at 4/30/13 3:27 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/30/13 3:27 AM

Hi, I thought this was a funny idea, thanks for posting it! I would mainly just be curious to try this out, never done it before.
1) I live in Sweden, GMT +1. Availability varies a lot, think it would be easier to just send a message. or you could add me or facebook or something like that.

2) interested to try the pingpong noting

3) Skype works for me

4) Pre-Path, not sure exactly

5) Goal: mainy curious to try it out
Vi Va -, modified 11 Years ago at 5/1/13 10:27 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/1/13 10:27 AM

Yes, sure, we could try that. I'll add you later (I'm not on my computer now) and we can decide a day. emoticon
Vi Va -, modified 11 Years ago at 5/5/13 10:32 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/5/13 4:25 AM

Pablo . P - what's your skype name?

I'm viktor_vnh

-

1) GMT +1 (available most of the time since I have a free lance work)
2) Everything from 10-30 minutes.
3) Skype
4) Shifting between Equanimity and Dark Night... shifting between high and low motivation... shifting between high and low concentration... have practiced for about three months, using a few different techniques... noting, noticing, body-scanning.
5) I tried today with Pablo, so I can say that my goal is to enhance my motivation and my concentration, as both these qualities were enhanced by the short session we had...
thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 5/5/13 7:46 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/5/13 7:46 AM

Viktor, I haven't found you in the users list in the Messages section. I'll search you in skype.

Breadcrumb