MCTB in Spanish !

thumbnail
Andy Coke, modified 14 Years ago at 4/5/10 7:39 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/5/10 7:39 PM

MCTB in Spanish !

Yes! today we launched the first few paragraphs of the translation to spanish of Daniel's book, here

it will be a long and slow process, so if you want to give us a hand and/or has any comment do get in touch with me!

Cheers!
Andy
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 4/7/10 12:26 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/7/10 12:26 AM

RE: MCTB in Spanish !

Yeah!

Thanks for that!

Daniel
Bernardo V, modified 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 4:03 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 4:03 AM

Hi Andres, hello Daniel.

I have interesst in such project. I've been thinking about translating it to portuguese for sometime, and now with a spanish translation I think I would be much easier and faster to do. So, Daniel, and also Andres, you're both ok with it I could begin to plan something in this direction for the upcoming mounths (or years). We could arrange something and translate different parts, and use each other's translation - if you can read portuguese, which is not so different from spanish after all - as reference for a faster and higher quality translation. And also discuss redering of terms, translating tricky parts, and stuff like that.

Kind regards,
Bernardo
thumbnail
Andy Coke, modified 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 4:46 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 4:46 AM

Bernardo! I think I'm not understanding what you mean exactly. I'm in exam period, so if you don't speak in terms of vectors I'm slow emoticon

If what you want to do is to translate prtuguese-spanish & spanish-portuguese, I reckon it could be a good idea to have a look and discuss it for some terms, but seems to me a better idea to keep it from the source: translating from english. So that it is as "pure" as possible. Mainly because, even tho my translation is accurate (doing my best) the stlye is not brilliant. Of course it will be refined at some point, but I reckon the content goes first.

But yeah, discussing terms and tricky parts seems a great idea. I've done this a few times with Antonio (gracias Antonio!) and it is indeed very helpful.

Let me know what you think,

cheers!
Andy
Bernardo V, modified 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 11:49 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 11:48 AM

Hello Andy,

I meant that we could use or compare each others translation in order to do it faster and better, but always translating it from the english, of course. I think that it could be helpful because a lot of stuff that Daniel wrotte on the book sounds natural in english, but it would sound unusual in spanish or portuguese, and it could be rendered in a commom form for both languages. Maybe that is more related to the style, and as you said, there's no way for it to be so brilliant in the end. But it could also happens for technical detaiIs, and like you said, to get the content right is the main thing.

Just as an example, before I had seen your rendering of the title, I had no idead how to translate it without making it sound really weird in portuguese. Now I came up with something with which I'm happier: 'Dominando as Principais Técnicas do Buda: Um livro de dharma fora do comum'.

I won't have much time this next week, and I'm going on a two week retreat after that. When I get back maybe I can already start with something, or just say when it would be possible (maybe in july or august, when I'm back home, in Brazil). In the mean time, I wish you luck with the exams and the translations!

Regards,
Bernar
thumbnail
Andy Coke, modified 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 12:08 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/14/10 12:08 PM

Alright, I understand now. Yeah! its a great idea!

Thanks for the wishes. Right now I'm not working on the translation, but I will get back to it soon after exams.

Good luck with your retreat man!

Keep in touch then,
Andrés.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 5/16/10 1:32 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/16/10 1:32 AM

I am so happy that people like the book enough to translate it. I hope that people get something out of this and that all of your work reaches and helps people and makes a difference.

Thanks to everyone who has helped translate it into the various versions,

Daniel
Guillermo Z, modified 13 Years ago at 5/16/10 1:26 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/16/10 12:48 PM

Hi Andres,

I am happy to hear about your translation and I would be more than glad to help you with that.

I am native Spanish speaker (I come from Venezuela, living in Germany).

I propose the following:
  • I will have a look at the parts that you have translated so far, perhaps I will give you some feed-back
  • Then we can split the chapters of the book, translate them and then discuss the work periodically (e.g. every two weeks?)

In order to keep control of the translation I propose two things
  • Version control: we can do that in MS Word or use the DhO wiki for that. From the format you are using, I guess your writing it LaTeX, which is even better for publications!
  • Paragraph control: we can use a double column system (left English, right Spanish) in order to have a better overview of the meaning without getting lost in translation (once I made this with English/French and worked out pretty good)

What do you think?

I am definitely in!

Saludos,

Guillermo

PS: in vectorial term for the geeks out there: we need a biectjve-linear transformation from Real English to Real Spanish space
emoticon
thumbnail
Andy Coke, modified 13 Years ago at 5/16/10 1:50 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/16/10 1:50 PM

Guillermo Z:

PS: in vectorial term for the geeks out there: we need a biectjve-linear transformation from Real English to Real Spanish space
emoticon

Now we are talking! Love the detail that you said "real"!

This sounds to me like great stuff, why don't you drop me an e-mail to dharmandy [at] gmail dot com and we organize ourselves?

cheers!
Andy
Bernardo V, modified 13 Years ago at 5/18/10 9:26 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 5/18/10 9:26 AM

Hi Guillermo and Andres,

if possible, include my email too, and send me a copy of the documents as you work on them. I've neved translated anything this big, so if could be helpful to checkout how your're working. My email is bernardovasconcelos (at) gmail.com.

Kind regards,
Bernardo

Breadcrumb