Working with the throat

M N, modified 10 Years ago at 10/11/13 5:59 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/11/13 5:47 AM

Working with the throat

Hi!

I'm beginning to work with the throat, because I suddenly realized that there is a massive inbalance between the importance of this area and the amount of time/energy that I spent developing it, wich is to say, way too little.

So, I just wanted to ask if someone here did some kind of specifically throat-oriented work before, and in general if anyone has some advice, suggestions or warnings to give me about working with this specific area.

Suggestions on how to work with primary energy centers in general are welcome as well.

Also, if you happen to have any experience related with it, even if not working with that intentionally, that would be very useful for me, if you are in the mood to share.

Theoretical knowledge of any kind is welcome as well, even if not supported by direct experience.

Bye!
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 10/11/13 10:09 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/11/13 10:09 PM

RE: Working with the throat

I'm interested in the subject too, hopefully someone will chime in.

My work is mainly about posture. It's easy to see that you can stretch the throat on your front line, releasing tension in the jaws and temples, and letting your throat open as when swallowing. But there's another stretch on your back, not only feel like hanging from a string attached to the crown chakra, but also from the shoulder level to the back and sides. The chest then hollows indirectly and the diaphragm drops. Depending on how block my throat was, I felt cold energy flow, bubbling or simply opened and empty. That's my two cents.
Change A, modified 10 Years ago at 10/12/13 9:30 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/12/13 9:30 AM

After you have stretched the throat on your front line and the back, see if these two get connected. If that happens, then the hanging from a string attached should not just happen from the shoulder level to the back and sides but to the front and sides as well. If the front and the back get balanced and connected, then the hanging from a string attached to the crown chakra should go away.
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 8:35 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 8:35 PM

Hi Change, I don't get really what you say. When stretching both ways, the energy line (nothing big) goes down to the diaphragm and scattered reaches the dantien (4 fingers below the navel). That energy line is what should be expected as a connection of front and back lines? It's interesting that you mentioned the pulling from the six directions, much like Yiquan's (martial) exercises. I tried just a little bit, it brings to the foreground a tough energy block at the middle of the chest. If I avoid the pulling forward, just let the chest and diaphragm sinks, no blockage appears. Will try how to add the remaining directions carefully.
Change A, modified 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 10:00 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 10:00 PM

Pablo . P:
My work is mainly about posture. It's easy to see that you can stretch the throat on your front line, releasing tension in the jaws and temples, and letting your throat open as when swallowing.

Consider the above as the front line.

Pablo . P:
But there's another stretch on your back, not only feel like hanging from a string attached to the crown chakra, but also from the shoulder level to the back and sides. The chest then hollows indirectly and the diaphragm drops. Depending on how block my throat was, I felt cold energy flow, bubbling or simply opened and empty. That's my two cents.

First see if the feeling of hanging from a string attached to the crown chakra and from the shoulder level to the back and sides both get connected. Then see if this line goes forward from the crown chakra and connects with the front line.

If this happens, see the result.
Change A, modified 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 10:05 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/13/13 10:05 PM

You may try the head stand as I think it can balance out the head through throat with the chest.
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 10/15/13 2:49 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/15/13 2:49 PM

Now I understand what you meant, thanks. I can connect both lines. Just by inclining the mind towards it, anytime, a coolness flows from the crown to the third eye. If relaxed enough, the front line goes down to the diaphragm or the dantien. But never thought that the energy flowing up and down the back and front line would be strong enough to keep me still and relaxed in a good block-free posture. I just need more practice. Thanks again.

Mario, regarding general throat blockages, from the East you have many Taoist's "six healing sounds" videos (can't recommend any), and from the West I've heard good reviews of Per Bristow's Voice Method. He does a deep work on relaxing all the muscles in the zone. All in all, a few classes of voice projection/placement (impostar la voz) should give you enough data to enable anyone to work on its own.
Change A, modified 10 Years ago at 10/16/13 10:20 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/16/13 10:20 PM

When you are relaxed enough and the front line goes down to the dantien, does it stay there?

See if it can move further down towards the legs or the leg lines can move towards the stomach and everything connects seamlessly from head to toe.
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 10/20/13 8:38 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/20/13 8:38 PM

Usually, I can connect dantien and legs or head to dantien but not both. Either standing or lying in bed I sense the warm vibration in the inner thighs from the soles up to the Hui Yin (which instead is cool) and then up to the dantien (which is warm again and the vibrations are more intense). When seated, the warm energy goes up the back and then flows cool down from the crown to dantien. Energy blocks in the chest and throat are more stage specific, but those at the abdomen are more permanent. I'm working this with 5 minutes fast diaphragmatic breathing (plus breath retention). Some progress I'd made but not enough yet, but I must confess that I do it only once per day. More work to be done. Thanks for your help! I'll post any further progress.
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 10/21/13 5:15 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 10/21/13 5:15 AM

Tonight (at bed) I could connect chest with dantien. The key was to visualize the line not at skin level but deeper (probably the psoas). Also felt the qi running in the outer side of the legs, though the connection to the torso isn't clear. The thing is that the jhana factors showed up, the eyes went up to the brow and got into a very light OBE. Afterwards I could do Shinzen's gone noting much easier.

Breadcrumb