Kilesa-vāsanā & Jneya-āvaraṇā: Request for info

thumbnail
Anne Cripps, modified 10 Years ago at 12/16/13 1:34 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/16/13 1:34 PM

Kilesa-vāsanā & Jneya-āvaraṇā: Request for info

:-) Hi DhOers!

I am seeking information on Theravadin teachings about kilesa-vāsanā (which may be translated as impressions/imprints/ perfumes of the kilesas; Skt: kleśa-vāsanā) and jneya-āvaraṇā/jneyāvaraṇā (which may be translated as coverings/ obscurations/obstructions of what-is-to-be-known; I don't know the Pali, and have given anglo-Sanskrit for this latter term). Mahayana and Theravada teachings agree that these remain, until dealt with, in the mental continua of persons who have reached the 8th Mahayana Bhumi or 4th Theravada Stage: thus I think this subject may be of interest to others on DhO.

A common analogy of vasana equates the kilesas with fish that have been carried in a bag (mental continuum), the vasana being the pong that remains in the bag once the fish have been removed. The only reference I have found to kilesa-vasana in my admittedly meagre Theravadin literature appears in A Treatise on the Paramis by Acariya Dhammapala, as a note to eradicating the “mental impression of hatred”, in the section on "the method of practising the perfection of virtue”. The note is also the only obvious reference to the jneyavarana that I have seen so far in Theravadin literature…
On the subject of the vāsanā or “mental impressions” the commentary to the Udāna says: The vāsanā are particular dispositions to actions existing as a mere potential force built up through the defilements [kilesas] that have been brought into play through the course of beginningless time. Found in the mental continua even of those who are devoid of defilements (i.e of arahats), they function as springs for conduct similar to the conduct followed while the defilements were yet unabandoned. In the case of the Exalted Buddhas, who through the fulfilment of their original aspiration abandon the defilements along with the obstruction of the knowable [jneya-āvaraṇā/jneyāvaraṇā], no vāsanā remain in their mental continuities. But in the case of disciple-arahats and pacchekabuddhas, who abandon the defilements without removing the obstruction of the knowable, the vāsanā remain.” The classical example of this is the case of the Venerable Pilindavaccha who, though an arahat, continued to address other bhikkhus by the word vasala [outcast; person of low birth], a derogatory term used by brahmins to refer to those of low caste. This bhikkhu, however, did not use the word due to conceit or contempt for others, both of which defilements he had utterly destroyed, but merely through the habitual force of past usage, since he had been a brahmin through many previous lives. See Ud.III,6 and its commentary.

The case of Pilindavaccha appears just to be a verbal habit but the vasana can also affect thinking, and so speech and action based on that thinking. (Kilesa-vasana are not to be confused with the kilesāvaraṇā, obstructions to liberation, i.e to arhathood.)

The above reference to “the obstruction of the knowable” suggests that a term similar to jneya-āvaraṇā/jneyāvaraṇā is known in the Theravada. In the Mahayana (where this terms is also sometimes confusingly translated as “obstructions to omniscience”) the jneyavarana include both kleśa-vasana (Pali: kilesa-vāsanā) and imprints of illusoryself-grasping (Skt: ātma-grāha-vāsanā), the latter giving rise to subtle dualistic perceiving (hence the Mahayana reference to realising the ‘emptiness of phenomena’, such as the skandhas, in addition to realising the 'emptiness of a self imputed upon the skandhas'). The 8th bhumi and beyond is occupied with clearing up the jneyavarana.

Any info from Theravadin sources on the kilesa-vāsanā and whatever-the-Pali-is-for jneya-āvaraṇā/jneyāvaraṇā would be much appreciated. (-:
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/16/13 5:24 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/16/13 1:58 PM

RE: Kilesa-vāsanā & Jneya-āvaraṇā: Request for info

If I recall correctly there is a relevant footnote in the more recent PTS translation of the Parinibbana of the Buddha somewhere early in some included footnotes drawn from commentary attributed to Buddhaghosa.

I'll try to find some links...

ok, here you are:

The Buddha’s Last Days: Buddhaghosa’s Commentary on the Mahaparinibbana Sutta
trans. Yang-Gyu An, 2003
ISBN 0 86013 405 9

£17.60

www.palitext.com

"analogy of vasana equates the kilesas with fish that have been carried in a bag (mental continuum), the vasana being the pong that remains in the bag once the fish have been removed."

Again, if I am not misconstruing my recollection of the reference, this relation to the stink of fish or to the stages of a fire going out in relation to disturbances of the mental continuum is treated in four stages in an early footnote within the first few pages of this excellent new translation. It has been about a decade since I passed along my copy of this work and so I do not have one to hand to quote from for you.

- triplethink
thumbnail
Anne Cripps, modified 10 Years ago at 12/16/13 11:58 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/16/13 11:58 PM

:-) Many thanks, Nathan; I've ordered a copy, and will post details.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 8:51 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/17/13 6:31 AM

Anne Cripps:
:-) Many thanks, Nathan; I've ordered a copy, and will post details.
Your welcome and, Welcome! Welcome to the DO - the home on the Range with all of the Dude's.
Hopefully I'm not completely off about this one, it was not my most stellar Monday ever, if I'm off base on this, I'll buy your copy off of you! I'm a fan of the Buddhaghostie, he's the mostie. You may well find most of what you're after in his big book of lists - The Visuddhi's-MaggaZine.

Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga

triplethink /// 2REM / 2WIT / Touche'd & a microphone
thumbnail
Anne Cripps, modified 10 Years ago at 12/18/13 4:45 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/18/13 4:45 AM

:-) Many thanks for the welcome Nathan! And for your suggestion of checking the V’magga…I’ve perused Bhikkhu Ñanamoli’s translation (including notes), but not found specific reference to kilesa-vasana or jñeyavarana.

However, there is reference in the V’magga to the sabbaññuta-ñāṇa (all-knowing/omniscient knowledge; Skt: sārvajña-jñāṇa) and anāvaraṇa-ñāṇa (unobscured/‘unobstructed’ knowledge; Skt: anāvaraṇa-jñāṇa), around which appear differing interpretations…who’da thunk it?!:-) The topics aren’t unrelated to this thread. For several years I have amateurishly sallied into seeking explanations of these terms (e.g omniscience), but so far remain uncertain where 'jñeyavarana' fit into some.

Checking a hunch on what might be the Pali term for jñeyāvaraṇa, I found an online abstract from the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, which mentions Venerable Pilindavaccha. In author Peter Harvey’s words…
A seeming case of an unbroken negative pattern in an Arahat is, though, found at Ud.28-9. The monk Pilindavaccha speaks to other monks in disrespectful terms used to address outcastes; when the Buddha investigates the cause of this, he explains it as due to Pilindavaccha having been a proud Brahmin for his last five hundred lives. That is, his behavior is purely habitual. However, the Buddha says that it is not due to hatred, implying that it is to be seen as a harmless empty shell or echo of past bad behavior. The commentary (Ud.A.192-196) sees the monk as an Arahat and says that his behavior was due to unabandoned "impressions stemming from the defilements" (kilesa-vasanas) (193). It explains such "impressions" thus:
that which, even in the continuity of one in whom the defilements are wanting, is the mere capacity, built up by defilements cultivated from time without beginning, to constitute the root-cause of conduct similar to conduct on the part of those in whom defilements have not been abandoned, is a disposition (adhimutti) of such a kind. It is not, however, to be found in the continuity of the Lord, wherein the defilements have ... been abandoned by way of abandoning any obstruction to that which is knowable (neyyavarana) (Ud.A.194).

That is, even enlightened people, apart from the Buddha, have character features related to past bad karma, even when such features no longer issue from current mental defilements.

So the Pali for jñeyāvaraṇa (conceptual veils) is neyyāvaraṇa*!

Thank you again for your input, Nathan. All the best to you (-:

* Not ‘talking at’ you, Nathan, but just a footnote for the sake of the practical purpose of this thread, I should add that, having become aware of a ‘conceptual veil’ (such as conceiving beings belonging to a particular physical group as inherently spiritually inferior, despite oneself having no attachment to superiority or to subtle illusoryself-grasping) one may look into ones reasons for it and, through insight, abandon it, which unfortunately has not been mentioned in the two quotes I’ve produced. Unintended harm can result from conceptual veils.

Breadcrumb