Consciousness on-off switch discovered deep in brain

John M, modified 9 Years ago at 7/3/14 10:16 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/3/14 10:12 PM

It would be interesting to know how (if at all) this relates to fruitions / NS.
Max L, modified 9 Years ago at 7/6/14 1:27 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/6/14 1:26 PM

RE: Consciousness on-off switch discovered deep in brain

Nice article. I noticed that the effect the researchers observed was described as "drifiting into unconsciousness," which suggests a mechanism different from that of fruition. Still, seems possible that there could be a lot of overlap between what they are describing and the highly synchronized states one can experience later in the vipassana sequence.

Counter-intuitively, Koubeissi's team found that the woman's loss of consciousness was associated with increased synchrony of electrical activity, or brainwaves, in the frontal and parietal regions of the brain that participate in conscious awareness. Although different areas of the brain are thought to synchronise activity to bind different aspects of an experience together, too much synchronisation seems to be bad. The brain can't distinguish one aspect from another, stopping a cohesive experience emerging.
Adam, modified 9 Years ago at 7/9/14 9:34 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/9/14 9:34 AM

RE: Consciousness on-off switch discovered deep in brain

I wrote a blog post about the case that calls into question Crick and Koch's theory about the function of the claustrum and also talks about how salvia might provide insight into what's going on:

http://the-lagrangian.blogspot.com/2014/07/epilepsy-consciousness-and-salvia.html

As far as we're concerned, if Crick and Koch were right, the claustrum would probably be the site at which formations are produced out of sense data, which was what prompted me to dig deeper into the research.

Enjoy!

Breadcrumb