Ego Development Theory

Paul Bradford, modified 9 Years ago at 9/1/14 8:24 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/1/14 8:24 AM

Ego Development Theory

I found the following document very interesting. The author constructs a variation of the Stages of Insight scientifically using responses to questionaires. It's worth skimming to later sections if you are bored by the beginning.

http://www.cook-greuter.com/Cook-Greuter%209%20levels%20paper%20new%201.1'14%2097p[1].pdf
thumbnail
Jake , modified 9 Years ago at 9/1/14 1:27 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/1/14 1:27 PM

RE: Ego Development Theory

I like this article emoticon Thanks for posting it. I have read a few earlier versions of this paper and this looks like an even better presentation of the material. 
But you don't mean to refer to the stages of the progress of insight do you? And if so, how would you correlate those stages to these stages of ego development? 
My impression is that she is laying out stages of ego development, or identity development, and that she is identifying some very advanced stages which also include a greater sense of the openness/impermanence/constructedness of identity, and hence embody 'insight' in the sense of the progress of insight. But my understanding of the research is that it is also possible for folks at lower levels of ego development (i.e., less mature) to progress through the insight process and experience awakening without necessarily embodying the qualities of higher-level ego development. 
thumbnail
finding-oneself ♤, modified 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 4:22 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/9/14 4:21 PM

So I ended up simming earlier sections a lot and later sections a lot less. Not even reading all of it, the ideas within this pdf turned out to help me a lot I think. I've been suffering a lot more than usual recently. I think these two variables may have contributed to some (conventional) insight into understanding compassion deeper than previously (maybe). I think I'm probably inside the Autonomous stage and the construct-aware stage because I have attributes of both. Like being pissed off about the unnecessary excess suffering of the world. But even disclosing where I think I am I feel the "cheif anxiety" of the construct aware stage: "Fearing that almost nobody understands them in their complexity and sympathizes with their experience, and that by fearing this, they are culpable of hubris. Concomitant with feeling not appreciated or understood can be a deep sense of loneliness." I'm definitely neurotic about being culpable of hubris. Anyway, whether or not any of this is true there maybe be a similar effect on me as being exposed to the progress of insight is. The progress of insight helped me meditate better, and this article seems to help me be more accepting of myself and others as we are. So something is at least working here.

And yeah, I can see how some of these stages are related to the stages of insight. I mean how can you be ego-aware without insight into no-self? Attributes of the Individuaist stage sounded like how I was around the A&P event.

Anyway. That was one of the helpful sources of information (if not the most) I've read since MCTB. Thanks for sharing.
thumbnail
Jake , modified 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 9:08 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 9:08 AM

I find models like this helpful as well in that they illuminate how our sense of self is 'layered' developmentally. So for instance if "you" are construct-aware that is where your conscious identity is, but all the earlier layers are there, operaing beneath the surface (until/unless you go into the archeoogy of 'you' and start to see those earlier constructs operating in real time-- this helps with the hubris thing). Also considering how my 'self' shifts up and down levels of development in different contexts (for instance, I'm pretty solidly mature at work, but in a college class I slide back into very adolescent dynamics maybe; or in romantic relationships I am very mature but in relating to friends from my teen years or certain family members maybe another whole layer rises to the top; or whatever). 

I think this developmental theory goes together really well with Roberto Assagioli's Psychosynthesis and his theory of 'sub-personalities' which states that the consious identity (ego) changes due to circumstance and we basicaly each have a set of 'sub-personalities' that come out under different circumstances. It makes even more sense if you have both horizontal sub-personalities (like multiple versions of a given level) plus vertical (sub-personalities made of earlier and later structures). 

Also, I totally agree that developmental theory helps alot with compassion because it helps us see the logic in others' positions. It's also awesome for parenting because it helps to be adaptive and to see where your kids 'edge' is and where their safety zone is and helps one be sensitive to helping them regulate themselves (when they may need to lean in and push their edge, when they need to be helped to lean back and feel safe/contained/familiar, etc). 
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 11:52 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/10/14 11:52 PM

Thanks for the link...fun skimming. I do love mapping and stages of development.~D
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 9 Years ago at 10/12/14 12:19 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/12/14 12:19 AM

A few people on this forum took parth in this study on elightenment experiences and ego development...
(D Z) Dhru ValI know a few people who post on DhO took part in Dr. J.A. Martin's psychological research on enlightened people. Some might have heard the buddhist geeks poscasts on the topic see Ep. 1 and Ep. 2

The full text is out...
J A Martin - Dissertion on Enlightenment

I assume the non-symbolic consciousness stuff will be familiar for most people here, for more details on the stages of ego development that the study talks about see here...
Ego Development

Breadcrumb