Heath's practice log

thumbnail
heath, modified 9 Years ago at 10/7/14 11:31 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/7/14 11:27 AM

Heath's practice log

Hello everyone! My name is Heath. This is going to be my new practice log. Previously I was keeping everything in notebooks, but this is so much more efficient and allows me to be more expansive, since I type faster than I write. After a few posts I will probably start to settle on a format that seems to make sense for an online forum. Eventually I will get around to posting some more background on my practice to help give context.

My last post on this forum should have been the first entry in my practice log, so I'm going to  link to it here: 'Some questions about noting'. I listed two questions about my noting practice that I'd love some kind feedback on if anyone feels inclined. Either way, I am looking forward to keeping a log here and participating more actively on the forum. This is going to really help me ramp up my practice. Thanks everyone!

1hr sit in my car this morning.

Today's practice continued the general downward trend in vividness and stability in my sits this past week and a half. Having a hard time settling into any technique. Tried just sitting and breathing contentedly and even then continued to get lost in thought. (Part of this I know is residue from not practicing over the weekend, combined with extended work hours (~12-15) for 5 days, and two nights of drinking...) I am happy that now I can get lost in thought and not be mad about it or feel like a failure. I also seem to be immune to feeling that a given sit is a "bad" sit or that I'm "not trying hard enough" or something to that effect.

For a moment I was thinking about the post I wrote yesterday, wanting someone to respond to it. All of a sudden Daniel's voice came into my head and, after reading my post, he said something like "I think your practice is good; you don't need any additional help right now. Just keep doing what you're doing." That was funny enough in itself. Once I noticed what was happening, I brought my attention back down to where the thought/voice seemed to emerge from and saw that it seemed to be of the same form and consistency, the same weight, as other thoughts/images that had come just moments before from my 'own' self (not an imagined someone-else) and realized that this Daniel-voice was just another one of the things that arise and pass away in my mind, did not come from 'me' and are not possessed by me. It was just one of the mind-stuffs that occasionally happen. This was something I've experienced many times before, but this time the realization seemed more solid. And of course I immediately got lost in thought again.

I also spent about 20 minutes attempting to look at my attention/awareness itself. The sense is like looking softly into a mirror that contains my 'face' looking back at me, but my face is not there, just my 'presence'. Sometimes I have felt like I alternating between these 'presences', trying to switch places, or trying to become the same thing, or something like that. I don't know if this is a concentration or insight practice or both. I find that this is almost my 'default'  meditation practice. When I first attempted to meditate when I was younger, this is what I would do. I thought meditation was about becoming very still and settling into myself and this is the practice that I ended up doing.
thumbnail
Karalee Peltomaa, modified 9 Years ago at 10/7/14 11:38 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/7/14 11:38 AM

RE: Heath's practice log

Hello Heath, kind regards from a fellow fast typist.   I too just signed on and my practice has gone to a new level and the results show it.   Geometric progression is starting to kick in.   I think too it is a mutual morale boost to see other practicers moving along a sure path to Nirvana.

colleen
thumbnail
heath, modified 9 Years ago at 10/8/14 6:20 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/8/14 6:17 PM

Definite dark night territory starting mid yesterday into today. Er... well, what else could it be? In certain respects I feel a bit iffy saying that when I start to 'feel bad' and weightier, emotional thoughts start pulling at me that I'm automatically in DN. Sharp sounds aren't bothering me as much as they usually would when I think I'm in DN, but who knows. I guess I'm either DN or Re-observation?

Anyways. Regardless of what the name of this particular state is, I pretty much know how I got here and what comes next. I decided earlier this afternoon that I'm just going to do what I think of as Zen / 'letting things be as they are' until I'm out of this territory so that I don't have to worry about how it's affecting my job/life. Lots of things going on right now that I can't afford to miss a beat on. This is a point where I think some knowledge of maps excels -- the ability to 'plan' your spiritual path, like Daniel has talked about. 

This past day and a half I've really appreciated what it means to just power through DN, accepting it totally as part of the path and just examining objectively what is happening. This morning's sit was interesting. Even though I had a very difficult time with thoughts/emotions, I would continually bring myself back to bare awareness and every few moments I could see them 'as they were', as just mind-stuffs arising, not me, and not mine. This experience is happening more and more frequently for me and I take it as a sign of progress. I'd like to see that kind of awareness extended to encompass more of my day and I can actually see that happening now. 

After this I move to concentration practices while I settle into a new phase at work, finish a move, and potentially begin a new relationship. 
thumbnail
heath, modified 9 Years ago at 10/8/14 6:22 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 10/8/14 6:22 PM

Colleen Karalee Peltomaa:
Hello Heath, kind regards from a fellow fast typist.   I too just signed on and my practice has gone to a new level and the results show it.   Geometric progression is starting to kick in.   I think too it is a mutual morale boost to see other practicers moving along a sure path to Nirvana.

colleen
Thanks for replying! I guess by 'signed on' you mean your practice / practice time has ramped up? 

I agree about the mutual morale boost. It's so refreshing to see that there are other people out there with similar pursuits. Good luck to you. 

Breadcrumb