Troll musings, and NYT bonus

Matt, modified 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 11:17 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 11:10 AM

Troll musings, and NYT bonus

One of my dubiously considered cannon shots last night made me wonder: if a problematic poster does not want to self identify with name and face, what are we bending over backwards to take care of by not giving firm feedback?

The only thing you can do here is post thoughts and quote other thoughts.  From faceless/nameless problematic posters, those thoughts tend to be a large step removed from sincerity.

FTW will be back under another name, may already be here under another name. I wonder if James Yen's name/face were genuine?

There's something ironic, or messed up in an ultimate sense, about careful nurture and defense of a dubious body of words floating in the aether at the expense of a hoped-for environment for the relief of real-life suffering.

There's also something very bold about trying to craft a way to make this perfect. In the old days, the guys gathered all around to politic and consider, sat for years, chiselled their deliberations into stone. Here any random brain spark gets sent everywhere and lights a fire.

I think this troll quote is pretty profound and indicative of what drives some of the painful blather here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03trolls-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

“Why didn’t you get so defensive when I said you had green hair?” If I were certain that I wasn’t a terrible reporter, he explained, I would have laughed the suggestion off just as easily. The willingness of trolling “victims” to be hurt by words, he argued, makes them complicit, and trolling will end as soon as we all get over it."
Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 1:47 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 1:47 PM

RE: Troll musings, and NYT bonus

An approach I took on early in life that has yielded good results is that as soon as it leaves "me" its no longer mine. That has helped with handling criticism of work, papers, grades, and much more beneficial poker and gambling =). If one no longer see ownership of what has left you then you can approach things much more reasonable.
Also then there is the realisation that no words can actually hurt you, your reactions etc are things you create yourself. Stop being a marionette, cut the strings.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words cant do shit. (unless its an order to break my bones=)

Or as the older saying goes.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names cant hurt me.
thumbnail
Daniel - san, modified 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 2:08 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 2:06 PM

Andreas:
Also then there is the realisation that no words can actually hurt you, your reactions etc are things you create yourself. Stop being a marionette, cut the strings.

This is my experience as well
Goenka tells a great story about when we first come to Vipassana practice we think the world is the cause of all of our problems - very ignorant
After years, when we've become somewhat established in practice, we are willing to share with the world 50/50, ok, I'll take half the blame
But after some time, many decades perhaps, it is realized, all of the emotional reactions that I experience rise from within me, every single one - they are mine and mine alone, and only I can uproot them. And there is a path
I am fortuante enough to have realized that within myself, though it is not a completely abiding experience, so I'm not fully enlightened. Even the partial realization of that dharmic truth frees one in so many ways. No I can just put leather on my feet and stop trying to cover the world. Finally we can relax and chill, or chillax : )
Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 6:04 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/10/15 6:04 PM

My understanding does not come from a buddhist standpoint really. Just life. And then later from a book on poker and how one should treat the pot. When you put money in the pot the money belongs to the pot, its no longer yours. Although the marionette stuff comes from a seminar with Anthony de Mello.

Breadcrumb