Shameless Plug for Shinzen Young's Upcoming New Book!

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 5:53 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 5:53 AM

Shameless Plug for Shinzen Young's Upcoming New Book!

I was blessed to get a preview copy of Shinzen Young's new book The Science of Enlightenment, and it is simply awesome!

This guy has so much maturity, depth of practice, and gloriously geeky ability to cross all major Buddhist traditions both practically and adademically, as well as synthesize across most of the meditative world while bringing it home and keeping it down to earth all at the same time, all that while yet using his strong science background to great effect! I don't know anyone else who could have pulled this off like he does.

It is a shining gem of a book from a super nice guy with deep wisdom to share, and share it he does. You can tell how long and how well he has been teaching and practicing the dharma on every single page. His storytelling is top notch. His humor, humlity, and humanity blaze through like bright sunlight. In short, Shinzen has totally rocked it!

Go Shinzen!

Yeah!
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 11:37 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 7:36 AM

RE: Shameless Plug for Shinzen Young's Upcoming New Book!

Sounds good!
neko, modified 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 11:35 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 11:35 AM

This rave review of yours seems to be raver than the rave review you've given for Culadasa's book. I am very excited emoticon 
thumbnail
Paul Kinkade, modified 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 3:45 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 3:45 PM

I have been a gigantic fan of Shinzen's for over a year now, and this review sounds spot-on from what I'd expect of him. It's great to hear one of my meditation role models speak so highly of another. 

I have The Science of Enlightenment on audio CD, so I'll be curious how much has changed. He also has two very, very helpful and deep YouTube channels. 
thumbnail
svmonk, modified 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 10:11 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/29/16 10:10 PM

Hi Daniel,

Thanx for the post. I will defintely check out the book.

I've practiced with Shinzen in the past and I can attest to his skill and solid grounding in both academic and practical Buddhist practice. One thing that is sometimes offputting to some is his massive media presence through Youtube and his tendency to sometimes come across as kind of like an LA type, maybe sounding a bit inauthentic. But I think that's just because he grew up in LA and so naturally that's how he comes across. I've always found his Dharma talks refreshing and interesting, and his meditation instruction has led, for me, to profound insights.

Spirit L Wiseman, modified 8 Years ago at 1/30/16 1:33 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/30/16 1:33 AM

When I  came back from Burma in 1987  and was literally stuck in Nihilism after going through the Progress of Insight Shinzen Young was THE ONLY person who gave me any clue or insight to what happened to me even though I was surrounded by practioners and teachers.....he told me ," Don't mistake one facet to be the whole jewel"
That was a jewel that fell into my dark night of the soul so I will always feel grateful to him.  So I am sure his book will be wonderful
thumbnail
Jo Jo, modified 8 Years ago at 1/30/16 5:49 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/30/16 5:49 PM

Thanks for the alert!
Do you know when it will be out? Is it a printed book?
On amazon I find an audiobook from 2005.
For some reason, I cannot access Shinzen´s webpages www.shinzen.org or www.basicmindfulness.org.

I have been a big Shinzen fan for the past 2 years, his youtubes helped me a great deal.
ANNA AIYAR, modified 8 Years ago at 1/31/16 1:59 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/31/16 1:52 PM

Paul Kinkade:
I have been a gigantic fan of Shinzen's for over a year now, and this review sounds spot-on from what I'd expect of him. It's great to hear one of my meditation role models speak so highly of another.  He also has two very, very helpful and deep YouTube channels. 

I feel the same... the more attained they are with wisdom, the more humble and human they become... Both Shinzen and Daniel. You'll are living examples of the "Ariya Sangha"... 

I thank nature with gratitude for having access to these communication tools (books, youtube channels) of deep dhamma talks.. 
Small Steps, modified 8 Years ago at 1/31/16 10:46 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 1/31/16 10:46 PM

The audio book is well worth listening to. Here's a link to the mp3 version of it, available for only $8.99 on amazon.
Mettafore, modified 8 Years ago at 2/1/16 11:13 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/1/16 11:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. Can't wait.
Jinxed P, modified 8 Years ago at 2/3/16 8:36 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/3/16 8:36 PM

Is this a new book, or a the written form of the audio book that came out in 2005 called "The Science of Enlightenment"
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 8 Years ago at 2/21/16 2:31 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 2/21/16 2:31 AM

New book! Still, it comes from some previous material, compiled from numerous talks and teachings, edited, re-arranged, so those very familiar with his stuff will likely recognize things, but still, it is well put together and he is worthy of support.
thumbnail
Dada Kind, modified 8 Years ago at 3/19/16 8:20 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/19/16 8:20 PM

http://amazon.com/gp/product/1591794609
thumbnail
Pablo CEG, modified 7 Years ago at 5/30/16 8:59 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/30/16 8:58 PM

Shinzen recently upload a new pdf with a new version of his model, probably to be published in The Science of Enlightenment. It's an intro to his ULTRA model, where not only its developed the "Nurture Positivity" (which was kind of sketchy in previous versions) but also added a new focus: "Express Spontaneity", the Taoist-Zen statement to put Enlightenment in action in every day life.   

Ultra

http://www.shinzen.org/Articles/IntroToUltra_short_2016.pdf

Auto Think

http://www.shinzen.org/Articles/AutoThink_ver1.8.pdf

An Outline of Practice

http://shinzen.org/Articles/artOutlineOfPractice.pdf

neko, modified 7 Years ago at 7/27/16 4:24 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/27/16 4:24 PM

It is now available for pre-order. Listed as to be published on September 1st, 2016

https://www.amazon.com/Science-Enlightenment-How-Meditation-Works/dp/1591794609
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 7 Years ago at 7/29/16 1:09 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/29/16 1:09 PM

I got the audio thing a few years ago, it's a nice trek through perennialism and comparison between contemplative traditions.

Breadcrumb