Actual Freedom simplified?

This Good Self, modified 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 6:36 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 6:33 AM

Actual Freedom simplified?

Did anyone work out a way to practice Actualism without wading through the maze of a website called actualfreedom.com?

I like to keep things simple, eh.  And I want to know what you figured out about this practice. 

Reason for asking is that I have a bad feeling that too much meditation leads to psychological dissociation (could be wrong, but that's what I'm reckoning at the moment).

Thanks mates.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 12:36 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 12:36 PM

RE: Actual Freedom simplified?

I did.  I will write it out, but there are several caveats.
          1)  Actualism (what the Australian's are talking about) is not, and never was, the meditation technique practiced by people on the DhO, KFD, and elsewhere.  Those are 'practice inspired by Actualism.' 
          2)  I'm not convinced that Actualism leads to Actual Freedom.  So far the people who are practicing it have not gotten there.
          3)  Debate about thiis topic is boring.

Without further adieu, here are two ways to summarize the Actualism method:
          -Get to feeling good all the time, get to feeling great all the time, get to feeling excellent all the time, get to feeling perfect all the time.
          -Prioritize enjoyment of the present moment over all things in life.  When things come up that interfere with this enjoyment, investigate them to determine if they are silly or sensible.

This is the Yahoo Group for the wiki: https://github.com/ActualFreedom/home/wiki
In it you should find everything you need.
Chuck Kasmire, modified 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 2:56 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 2:54 PM

Noah:
          2)  I'm not convinced that Actualism leads to Actual Freedom.  So far the people who are practicing it have not gotten there.
Neither was Richard. Somewhere on that website that I don't want to wade through either - he mentions that he is presenting actualism as a theory - it's an idea he had that maybe this would allow people to avoid the many years that he went through. He didn't know if it would work or not.
Something to keep in mind.
This Good Self, modified 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 7:03 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/20/16 7:03 PM

Noah:
I did.  I will write it out, but there are several caveats.
          1)  Actualism (what the Australian's are talking about) is not, and never was, the meditation technique practiced by people on the DhO, KFD, and elsewhere.  Those are 'practice inspired by Actualism.' 
          3)  Debate about thiis topic is boring.

Without further adieu, here are two ways to summarize the Actualism method:
          -Get to feeling good all the time, get to feeling great all the time, get to feeling excellent all the time, get to feeling perfect all the time.
          -Prioritize enjoyment of the present moment over all things in life.  When things come up that interfere with this enjoyment, investigate them to determine if they are silly or sensible.

This is the Yahoo Group for the wiki: https://github.com/ActualFreedom/home/wiki
In it you should find everything you need.
Thanks so much Noah.  Very helpful.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 11:21 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 11:18 AM

Is that descended from Barry Long ?

I read through some email arguments between them (act fre people) and him - but their claim was the same wasn't it, in that they held the end of the spiritual path to be complete freedom from emotion ?

I thought before coming here and reading about theravada that buddhism was about that too, but turns out I was wrong.

Other claim of Barry Long - right type of sex is essential for full enlightenment, and if buddha didn't do that then he was only half way there.

Big claims...
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 4:53 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 4:53 PM

Also worth checking out, if you haven't, is Daniel's post on his website about his endeavors with AF.

http://integrateddaniel.info/my-experiments-in-actualism/

Cheers!

Breadcrumb