Extensive temple stay in Thailand

M C, modified 7 Years ago at 3/23/17 11:04 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/23/17 2:29 AM

Extensive temple stay in Thailand

I am considering staying at a temple for about 6 months in Thailand. I am starting to look for the possibilities and clear up a few things.

1- I am not in a great position financially. One possible  arrangement I have in mind is one where I work in return. Are there temples that would be willing to let me do this?
2- What would be good places to do this?
3- It has to be non-silent and English friendly
4- Zen or Theravada is what I have in mind.
5- I want to get stream entry. The place can be goal-friendly for that purpose. But doesn't have to be.
Derek2, modified 7 Years ago at 3/23/17 9:02 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/23/17 9:02 AM

RE: Extensive temple stay in Thailand

The only temple I've spent any time at in Thailand is Wat Pah Nanachat. Typically they only let you spend a few days there until they've gotten to know you. After that, you can apply to stay longer.

The other possibility is that you can go to Section 5 of Wat Mahathat in Bangkok and ask them if they know of anything suitable for you.

All temples are funded by donations, and I've never experienced any pressure to make a donation, so your point number (1) is not going to be a problem anywhere.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 3/25/17 3:48 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/25/17 3:48 PM

I think Wat Suann Mokh may fit that description.  If you're really interested you could look up more, or email my teacher, who is a subject matter expert.  His email is dhammarato@yahoo.com, which he's given me permission to share.  He's always trying to get ppl to visit Thailand and stay at monasteries.
thumbnail
Andrew K, modified 7 Years ago at 3/26/17 11:40 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/26/17 11:40 AM

I think wat ram poeng fits the description- in chiang mai

they have a 28 day vipassana course for beginners and when I asked the abott if I could potentially stay longer, he sort of nodded in a vague way indicating that it could be possible depending upon my attitude and intentions etc.

the 28 day course is designed for stream entry, its english friendly and non silent; donation based of course

Breadcrumb