RE: Getting used to a long term retreat

Chi, modified 6 Years ago at 5/28/17 1:21 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/28/17 1:18 PM

RE: Getting used to a long term retreat

Hi taishi kun,

Im so happy you are able to spend time at panditarama.

Much of how you settle in depends on how your practice has been recently. Its a pretty rigorous schedule -- getting up at 3, in the hall by 330, in bed at 945 or so. So its totally ok and normal (i think) to feel tired and groggy at times (especially in the afternoons and especially toward the beginning of the retreat.)

Id say ramping up your sitting time, starting to move more slowly in daily life, spending more time alone will help you prepare for the retreat. Maybe even to eat only before noon.

I would suggest not thinking about it too much and returning to reality whenever the thoughts start running about what it's going to be like in retreat. We really have no control over how the body and mind will respond to such a shift in lifestyle and thinking about it causes stress and anxiety. It'll all be the way it's meant to be, how it always has been.

Re: taxi. If you ask, i think panditarama should be able to arrange something for you. The first time i went, i stayed in yangon panditarama for like a week i think, and then shared a bus with a bunch of other yogis to the forest. The second time, i forget how we went, but im not sure if i paid anything. Either way, have the admins at the monastery set soemthing up for you.

So happy for you!

Breadcrumb