Intro

Chris, modified 6 Years ago at 6/18/17 11:42 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/18/17 11:32 AM

Intro

Hi DHO!
Name's Chris and I thought I'd formally introduce myself to the forum. I've been a long time lurker and have made a few posts in the past with a different account, but I seem to keep having trouble with it so I just made a new one. Since I hardly made any posts and the membership changes so much I figured I may as well start fresh.

So a little about me, I've been formally into meditation and dharma stuffs for maybe 5 or 6 years, give or take. Informally I've always been inclined toward internal curiosity and investigation, but I only sought outside influence when i participated in a meditation day a while back, maybe 6 years ago like I said. From there I've done some short retreats in the 'enlightenment inensive' format which utilizes a dyad combined with koan contemplation. I've also done a week silent meditation retreat last summer with adyashanti (don't judge!). I don't have much of a regular practice which I seek to change.

In terms of where I think I am on the path, well, fuck if I know. Here's what I'm certain of: passed a&p event, went through the dooky nanas, and I'm pretty sure up to some point in equanimity.
Stream entry? Dunno, maybe, I certainly thought I may have at one point, but I'm not counting on it. Seems safer that way. I try not to worry about it too much in attempt to avoid spiritual materialism, if I understand the concept properly.

Somehow I ran into mastering the core teachings a long while back and I liked the down to earth, sensible no-nonsense approach. It has been probably just as long since I've read it so I feel the need to do so again, especially given that I'm a slower learner than I want to admit. But I am where I am and can't move on from anywhere if he than here. So thanks DHO for all the great data throughout the years, hopefully I can learn more and give something back if possible. Cheers to communal information sharing!

Chris
Causes & Conditions, modified 6 Years ago at 6/18/17 1:00 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/18/17 1:00 PM

RE: Intro

Welcome to the forum! 

What kinds of practices ar you doing right now?
Chris, modified 6 Years ago at 6/19/17 8:40 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/19/17 8:40 PM

RE: Intro

Thanks for the welcome! At the moment I practice inquiry with simple koans like ' what am i?' Occasionally I'll do walking meditation when I get a chance, and off the cushion I try to pay attention to my body and actions as much as I remember in an attempt to avoid getting lost in story land all the time.

I don't have much of a daily practice otherwise but I'm looking to change that and to attend more retreats in the future. I have mixed feelings about the adyashanti retreat I attended last year. He seems wise and all but the guru/celebrity vibe and lack of one on one contact with teachers turned me off. Also the instructions seemed so vague I felt as though I spent a lot of the time trying to figure out what the hell to do/how to practice.