Pragmatic Dharma in SF/Bay Area

Chris, modified 6 Years ago at 2/7/18 11:12 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/7/18 11:10 AM

Pragmatic Dharma in SF/Bay Area

Hi guys, I've only posted a couple times but generally follow along. Ive been practicing for a bit over a year now on my own and am at a point where I would love to connect with some fellow practitioners. 

Wondering if anyone is aware of a pragmatic Dharma scene in SF/Bay Area? This might be a dumb question as I know SF has lots going on when it comes to meditation, but I'm not sure about PD specifically. Or if there are any fellow DhO members that would be interested in creating one, that could be cool too. I've seen the posts about SPUDS and think that's pretty awesome. 

Thanks!
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 6 Years ago at 2/8/18 12:37 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/8/18 12:37 AM

RE: Pragmatic Dharma in SF/Bay Area

Hello -

There is not one right now that I know of.  However, if you would help me on the ground, I could help you start one through the advertising piece.  Generally your contribution would be to be in the same location, twice a month, for two hours, whether or not people show.  I've found that people don't want to do this if they doubt their experience level, but I would reccomend looking at it as completely peer led discourse with no one as the subject matter expert.

Any interest?

-Noah 
Chris, modified 6 Years ago at 2/9/18 1:59 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/9/18 1:59 AM

Hi Noah - thanks for the response. In short, yes I'd be interested and what you describe regarding an open, peer-led discussion is exactly what I'm looking for. While I doubt I'd be the most advanced, I have no problem taking an organizational lead. That said, I haven't really given thought to what starting a group like this would entail. I guess it would be good to feel out if there's some local interest first. It sounds like perhaps you've helped folks out before so would be great to hear what you think. Feel free to send me a PM if that makes more sense. 
ham, modified 6 Years ago at 2/9/18 2:00 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/9/18 2:00 AM

Hey Chris, I'm a bit new around here but I would be down for something liket this.

I think it would be good for me to get out there and meet practitioners....there's a hesitance in doing so that I think is worth exploring for me at the moment.

Let me know, if anything.
Amy, modified 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 7:59 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 7:59 AM

Hey all, while I'm new here and new to the pragmatic approach, I've got some years of Theravada experience under my belt. I'm in the East Bay and would be interested in a peer-led group, if it were in the East Bay (you know, horrible traffic consideration and all that.) I already belong to a Kalyanamitta group that I'm finding is greatly satisfying, but still not as pragmatic as I'd like to experience. Cannot host because I live in an apartment with husband and son, not condusive to group practice.
Chris, modified 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 12:24 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 12:24 AM

Congrats to Chris for forming his sangha! We always need more dharma communities in the world. emoticon

I am a student of Culadasa and Tucker Peck's. I am also in Culadasa's teacher training program and I am authorized to teach through Stage 4 of The Mind Illuminated.

I have been hosting a weekly sangha at my home in the Dogpatch neighborhood of San Francisco since September 2015. There are now 133 of us on our Facebook group. Several people come each week. We are mostly peer-led but I step up and talk about Dharma and meditation when I feel particularly qualified to do so. In general, we listen to audiobooks or lectures (or simply read to one another), discuss, then sit for 30+ minutes. 

I do hope that you'll join both sanghas as we could always use a little more refuge in this world!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayAreaPragmaticDharma/
Chris, modified 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 12:25 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 12:25 AM

Amy:
Hey all, while I'm new here and new to the pragmatic approach, I've got some years of Theravada experience under my belt. I'm in the East Bay and would be interested in a peer-led group, if it were in the East Bay (you know, horrible traffic consideration and all that.) I already belong to a Kalyanamitta group that I'm finding is greatly satisfying, but still not as pragmatic as I'd like to experience. Cannot host because I live in an apartment with husband and son, not condusive to group practice.

Amy, send me a PM. There are a couple teachers-in-training in Culadasa's tradition who may be interested.

Breadcrumb