dipping my toe into the sea of enlightenment

don hayes, modified 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 4:00 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 4:00 PM

dipping my toe into the sea of enlightenment

I am a Dharma orphan living 200 miles from the nearest Sangha.  I have at various places studied Zen and did the ten-day Vipassana retreat.  I have not kept records but over the years but estimate a couple of thousand hours of meditation.  Sam Harris says that meditation is preparation for the worst day of your life.  I can tell you that is a true statement, I developed a degenerative progressive nervous system disease a few years ago and all that meditation as really helped me.  I also have been contemplating the five daily remembrances for a few years before this. It has really helped with keeping equanimity during the process of my body getting less responsive all the time.

I recently upped my meditation to a straight hour in the morning and read The Untethered Soul a few days ago.  It has one of the best descriptions of non-duality I have ever read.  The combo seems to have kicked off a small revelation in my mind.  I can really step back outside of meditation and see my thoughts coming and going.  I have also had flashes of non-duality that only last a few seconds.

Looking for advice on where to go from here.  I know my Zen teacher would be like get back on the cushion.  I am on the cushion every day now that I am disabled I have plenty of time every day.  I can clearly see that my thoughts are not the consciousness seeing the thoughts.  I was planning on rereading Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha again. Thank you for the advice in advance.
Anna L, modified 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 7:15 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 7:15 PM

RE: dipping my toe into the sea of enlightenment

Hi Don, if you enjoy the non-duality literature then you might enjoy the videos on Buddha at the Gas Pump. Also Adyashanti. In terms of refining practice, I’m currently enjoying reading The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa emoticon 
thumbnail
terry, modified 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 9:21 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 9:21 PM

don hayes:

Looking for advice on where to go from here.  

"Turn left at the next star and straight on till morning." j m barrie

(sometimes you can gild a lily with 'advice' that is itself 100% gold)
thumbnail
terry, modified 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 11:53 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/13/18 11:53 PM

terry:
don hayes:

Looking for advice on where to go from here.  

"Turn left at the next star and straight on till morning." j m barrie

(sometimes you can gild a lily with 'advice' that is itself 100% gold)

I see I misquoted barrie; it should have read, "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." (I wouldn't want to misdirect you!)

terry
don hayes, modified 6 Years ago at 2/14/18 11:29 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/14/18 11:29 AM

Anna L 

Thank you for the tip on Buddha at the gas pump.
An Eternal Now, modified 6 Years ago at 2/14/18 11:11 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 2/14/18 11:11 PM

If you like Untethered Soul, you should do self inquiry (Before birth, who am I?) until there is doubtless self-realization.

Then go through the different phases of insights: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com.au/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

Also see my e-book: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/my-e-booke-journal.html
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 6 Years ago at 3/8/18 2:00 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 3/8/18 2:00 PM

don hayes:
I am a Dharma orphan living 200 miles from the nearest Sangha.  I have at various places studied Zen and did the ten-day Vipassana retreat.  I have not kept records but over the years but estimate a couple of thousand hours of meditation.  Sam Harris says that meditation is preparation for the worst day of your life.  I can tell you that is a true statement, I developed a degenerative progressive nervous system disease a few years ago and all that meditation as really helped me.  I also have been contemplating the five daily remembrances for a few years before this. It has really helped with keeping equanimity during the process of my body getting less responsive all the time.

I recently upped my meditation to a straight hour in the morning and read The Untethered Soul a few days ago.  It has one of the best descriptions of non-duality I have ever read.  The combo seems to have kicked off a small revelation in my mind.  I can really step back outside of meditation and see my thoughts coming and going.  I have also had flashes of non-duality that only last a few seconds.

Looking for advice on where to go from here.  I know my Zen teacher would be like get back on the cushion.  I am on the cushion every day now that I am disabled I have plenty of time every day.  I can clearly see that my thoughts are not the consciousness seeing the thoughts.  I was planning on rereading Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha again. Thank you for the advice in advance.

I'm sorry for your condition and it sounds like you are handling it very well.  Keep on meditating.  Meditation retreats are very important if you are able to do so.  If you have lived a good live and keep up your dhamma I assure your next life will very likely be wonderful.  A good one in heaven or a good one on earth.  But keep in mind even that wonderful life will eventually pass.  This is why you need to get out of the game, it is unwinnable..  Enlightenment and Nirvana are leaving the gamee.

Breadcrumb