Memories that seem to be also the present

Mark Edward Nelson, modified 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 8:15 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 8:10 AM

Memories that seem to be also the present

Hello,

I am doing concentration practice (breath, counting 1 to 8 and back).  About 30-60min most days for several months now. Still trying to get to access concentration.
I have noticed that in the last week or so I have started having very clear "memories" of things that happened in past, usually many years ago, but these do not have the quality of a memory, but instead feel like they are also the present moment, or that time is irrelevant or non-existent as such, and that I could almost make a conscious choice to "swap" my chain of consciousness from this present to that one.  Or "jump" from this "universe" to that one if that makes more sense.  These almost always happen "off the cushion" and they are never particularly good or bad, but just a super high fidelty recollection of some past moment.  I have not read about anything like this experience, so I was wondering if anyone had experienced anythingn similar.  I am following Daniel's advice in MCTB to "just keep going", but just curious. 

Thanks for your suggestions,
Mark Nelson 
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 8:36 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 8:36 AM

RE: Memories that seem to be also the present (Answer)

I had a no time insight at a retreat a while back. I was standing in a courtyard, had a funny feeling that I had forgotten something important and then quickly realized that there was nothing to do and that I was simply where I was "right now" and had always been. There was nowhere to go. It was temporarily destabilizing but I moved through it quickly.

There have also been experiences more similar to what you are describing. Heavy concentration plays a lot of tricks on the memory. Meditation has brought forth memories that I haven't remembered in 20+ years. All very normal. Consider it progress! Keep going and enjoy! 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 12:37 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/10/18 12:36 PM

RE: Memories that seem to be also the present (Answer)

Mark, you're having an experience that can be a helpful and powerful insight: memories ARE in the present moment, always. What do you think the implications of that fact might be?
Mark Edward Nelson, modified 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 8:18 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 8:18 AM

RE: Memories that seem to be also the present

Thank you Nick and Chris.  I will meditate on this!
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 6 Years ago at 4/12/18 5:13 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 4/11/18 12:15 PM

RE: Memories that seem to be also the present

Chris Marti:
...memories ARE in the present moment, always. What do you think the implications of that fact might be?

Yes! Can we experience awareness in the past or future? Great stuff Chris!

Breadcrumb