meat

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/20/09 10:51 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/20/09 10:51 AM

meat

Author: yadidb
Forum: The Big Issues

I was wondering how everyone here feel about eating meat (any animal)..

I used to be a very strict vegetarian and recently I have eaten meat several times, and at the moment I also started working for a restaurant which sells meat, and they also sell meat (the same people who own this place have farms and a meat factory also.. quite expensive meat).

Though I've only started recently (I worked there only twice so far), I have very strong feelings which tell me I shouldn't be working there, or eating meat.. but I feel sometimes that my body does need meat since I am very thin.

Anywho, lots of doubts there.

Would love to hear what you have to say about your own attitude towards eating animals.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/20/09 11:13 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/20/09 11:13 AM

RE: meat

Author: suzumi

What you eat is entirely up to you. AFAIK, no one really needs meat. Meat is protein, with varying amounts of fat. You can get the same level of protein, especially if you combine two kinds of vegetable sources of protein. For example: beans + rice, or peanut butter+ bread, etc. Some people of very high attainment, including Shakyamuni Buddha, eat/ate meat, many Buddhists don't. I am a meat eater currently. We should be grateful for our food, whatever it is. We should use it as a means and inspiration to keep practicing.

Just my two yen
J