Jhana teachers in Sri Lanka

Ka Boutertje, modified 5 Years ago at 1/28/19 11:32 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 1/28/19 11:28 AM

Jhana teachers in Sri Lanka

Hi everyone,

I've practiced the so-called "light" or "sutta" jhanas for a number of years now according according to the instructions given by Bhante Vimalaramsi and then later on by Leigh Brasington.

I'm going to Sri Lanka later this year and am interested in doing a retreat there. Does anyone know of any teachers / meditation centers / monasteries that teach the jhanas in a similar style to lay followers? From all of the research I've done, and I've done a lot, they all see too be in one of two camps: 1. Mahasi or 2. Pa Auk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Keshin lu, modified 5 Years ago at 1/29/19 7:25 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 1/29/19 7:25 PM

RE: Jhana teachers in Sri Lanka

Leigh Brasington is the disciple of Ayya Khema. Her main establishment is in Sri Lanka. Google Ayya khema 
Paul, modified 5 Years ago at 1/30/19 5:45 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 1/30/19 5:45 PM

RE: Jhana teachers in Sri Lanka

Hi OP

Check out the website/blog featured here on DhO that lists details and shows photos of lots of meditation centres in Sri Lanka:

https://placestomeditate.wordpress.com/ (copy and paste if not a link)

There are very few (read almost none) genuine Mahasi centres in SL, and Pa Auk does seem to be the default. But what SL abounds in is centres and monasteries where you can get food and accom, and the freedom to develop your own practice. If you know what you want to do, this can be very helpful. 

Breadcrumb