Looking for a teacher

thumbnail
Steve Katona, modified 13 Years ago at 11/15/10 9:50 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/15/10 9:50 AM

Looking for a teacher

I live in Albuquerque, NM. I have 3-10 day courses and 2-7 day sesshins and lots of daily practice as a background. Just returned from IMC-USA in Maryland. Just found MCTB a couple of weeks ago. My enthusiasm is strong as is daily practice commitment. I would like to find a teacher somewhere near. The Mahasi tradition calls most loudly. The local group--Albuquerque Vipassana Sangha--is friendly but casual. They don't have anything remotely like a guiding teacher. I'm willing to travel regularly but would hope to find someone within a day's drive (or less). Thanks in advance. More info by request and if more appropriate off this site. My email: srtraveler@gmail.com
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 12/24/10 3:42 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/24/10 3:42 AM

RE: Looking for a teacher

Sorry I am so late replying, got behind on the DhO with my work schedule.

There is a guy in Silver City, NM who Kenneth Folk at kennethfolkdharma would know about: could try him. That's my best suggestion for that area, probably better than nothing. You could do what many here do and develop a skype/email/chat relationship with someone who knows this stuff: probably just have to find someone you like and ask.

Daniel
thumbnail
S Pro, modified 13 Years ago at 12/24/10 7:13 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/24/10 7:13 AM

Hi Steve,

I also suggest to contact Kenneth Folk. He does offer to work via Skype.

Sven
thumbnail
Steve Katona, modified 13 Years ago at 12/28/10 9:21 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/24/10 8:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the Silver City reference. Perhaps I am wrong but I am put off by the $70/hr fee that Kenneth Folk charges. I noticed that you mentioned in MCTB that teaching the dhamma freely has worked well for 2500 years.

I am following your advice on noting and feel I have made significant progress. This is after many years of zazen, 3 Goenka retreats, and a recent Mother Sayamagyi course of 10 days in Maryland. I have talked to someone at Tathagata in San Jose and sent an application to attend an 11 day retreat with Sayadaw Khippapanno Feb 24-Mar 6th.

Your book has been and is a bright light in my practice. Deepest appreciation. I bought a new copy and also downloaded the pdf so that I can search it quickly and surgically. BTW, I found your teaching listening to Buddhist Geeks.

Breadcrumb