Semester off to meditate

Adam Bieber, modified 13 Years ago at 11/18/10 12:54 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/18/10 12:54 AM

Semester off to meditate

Hello DHO,

After reading Daniel's incredible book over the past summer and following this great community, I was able to cross the A&P in three weeks and ofcourse, made the fatal error of thinking I was enlightened. I think this is a big problem of the spiritual journey and this pitfall should be engrained into the minds of all seekers. I will be taking a leave of absence next semester and was wondering how I should meditate in order to make fast progress. I will be living home and working but my main concentration will be insight meditation and hopefully attain both first and second path. What is the best way/daily schedule to go about my meditation in this period to get the fastest progress without overwhelming myself or going insane?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 11/18/10 2:09 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/18/10 2:09 AM

RE: Semester off to meditate

I am glad you are finding this all to be of some value.

The A&P is well known for fooling people in that way.

As to how to mediate, where is also a question, and with whom, as all these are important.

Most importantly: you want the support of someone who knows how to get to stream entry and second path and can communicate this to you in language you understand.

As to going mad: mental illness history? Genuine concern or just a random fear?

What resources do you have? Where are you located? How far would you be willing to travel? Can you follow instructions and keep a lid on your stuff? How serious about stream entry are you?

Daniel
Adam Bieber, modified 13 Years ago at 11/19/10 12:29 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/18/10 11:20 AM

Hi Daniel.

Thank you for the quick reply. My plan pretty much was to go home, work a few hours/day, and meditate like all the time. During the summer, I meditated outside, a lone, in the grass, but because its winter, I will have to find some place quiet and inside. So I will be mostly meditating by myself at some inside location wherever that may be. I just don’t think I know anyone outside the community who could guide me to stream entry. I would pretty much rely on myself, your book, and the community. The same goes with second path. I plan to just relaxingly note like crazy. As far as going mad, I have a history with depressions but my main concern is just being a lone for long extended periods of time and then trying to re adapt into the social world. I doubt this will be a problem though. Right now, I go to school in Nashville. I will be going home to Long Island at the end of the semester. My resources are sparse although I think I only need myself. I can follow instructions extremely diligently, have, and have made great progress from this, which is why I am confident in my ability to make rapid progress. I can definitely keep a lid on my stuff. As far as seriousness about stream entry, it is currently the only thing in my life I truly care about and want (besides family and friends). Also, what type of diet is best to keep as well as sexual habits?
J Adam G, modified 13 Years ago at 11/23/10 4:56 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/23/10 4:56 PM

Easiest question to answer first: Diet should optimally include frequent (every 3-4 hours) small amounts of healthy things, with plenty of protein and some amount of complex carbs. Specifically, try to get eggs (both the white and the yolk) frequently, like every day. Soy protein and whey protein (from dairy-based protein shakes) are also good.

Why protein? The buzzy, intense, effortful style of meditation beloved on this forum produces wonderfully quick progress, but can cause directed attention fatigue in people who aren't used to meditating so frequently and intensely. Protein contains amino acids that help the brain avoid and recover from attention fatigue more quickly.

Why carbs? Because it's very difficult for the brain to burn fats and proteins as fuel; it's designed to run on carbs. I'm certainly not saying to gorge yourself on chocolate and soft drinks! A bit of fruit several times a day would be great.

Depression warning: Many of the symptoms of the dark night somewhat resemble depression, but depression and the dark night are not the same thing! This is further confused by the fact that being in the dark night can trigger depression in some people, especially those with a past history of depression. The basic difference is that depression, in general, responds wonderfully to psychotherapy with a good therapist, especially when a well-chosen antidepressant is combined with the therapy. (Being on an antidepressant without good talk therapy is usually not very helpful.) On the other hand, the dark night will NOT respond to psychotherapy, or to antidepressants. It only responds to meditating until you've gotten the path you're working on.

So if you start struggling with depression during the dark night, please take care of it with a good therapist and, if the situation merits it, perhaps an antidepressant. The dark night itself sucks enough without being combined with depression.

I'll let more experienced people give advice about how to meditate during this self-retreat, since I botched the last one I did.
Crazy Wisdom, modified 13 Years ago at 11/25/10 5:24 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/25/10 5:24 AM

As to staying sane and not going mad. Do a small amount of standing meditation. This will keep you grounded. The primary reason people go borderline crazy or just suffer a lot with wacky energy problems and being spacey etc. is because too much energy goes to the brain. Standing meditation keeps it down. It will also keep you healthy and vital. Google zhan zhuang and do postures from there. The basic starting posture is wuji and you can rely on that solely or do another one you like after some time. Zhan Zhuang can be learnt on ones own with help of books and video because the postures are largely self corective, meaning that if you stand and meditative in them you will gradually find yourself compelled to stand slightly different, relax a bit here and then there, straighten up a bit etc. and this is all part of a process of the body naturally seeking the correct posture. If you just let go it works like that. do a minimum of 10 minutes but preferably aim for 20 minutes as you will be doing many hours of Vipassana. Some people stand for hours a day.

Second point. Open the microcosmic orbit. This is also in order to avoid excessive energy in the head but also helps you balance yin and yang in the body, avoid stagnant energy (not uncommon with lots of sitting meditation) and generally keep all your chakras fairly balanced. You don`t have to do it a lot. Just get it basicly opened and energy will run in it automaticly when you do other meditation.

Both the inner smile and secret smile ar good at smothing things out and keeping you balanced. They, especially the secret smile, also help your depth of meditation a lot. Six healing sounds is also a nice way to keep balanced. You could do one of them or all of tehm. Once you master teh inner and secret smile it is very easy to get into state. So in teh begining you spend perhaps 10-15 minutes on teh secret smile while afetr a while you can get the same effect in 2-3 minutes. So it is a rational way to spend your time as long temr you get a lot of effect for little time spent. You can find instructions for the secret smile if you search for it at thetaobums.com or in glenn morris` tapes. Michael Winn has good inner smile instructions. Chunyi Lin has a meditation Cd to help you open the orbit taht is considered effective and safe. I think he calls it small heavenly orbit though. You can find the cd on springforestqigong.

Do something to jkeep in shape and get in contact with your body. Anything will do but stuff such as yoga, tai chi, pilates, intuflow are better than spinning classes etc. for the most part as they give you more controll of your body, are better for alignment and also have energetic effects that aid your meditation project.

All of this is so that you can avoid suffering like BRuno, I and many others have with getting the energy under controll after it has gone crazy. If it goes crazy than it is much, much, mcuh harder to get it under controll. THen one might find that any meditation, even standing meditation adn the orbit is too aggravating to the energy and you might ahve to take the looong route of grounding through walks in nature, physical exercise etc. Once you have opened the orbit fairly well and built some earth chi and earth connection with standing meditation is very easy to ground back down should you space out temporarily. Also your vipassana practice will like be more pleasurable. Teh energy will feel better, your posture will be very good, less pains etc.

Best of luck
Adam Bieber, modified 13 Years ago at 11/25/10 11:33 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/25/10 11:33 PM

Thank you both for your responses. The diet sounds like a good idea because I have been fasting a lot lately and wasn't sure the correct amount to eat. I will definitely need the stamina to meditate for a long period of time.
As far as energy, reading Daniel's book I didn't think I would run into energy problems unless disoriented in dark night but this would be solved by persistent noting. From what I have heard, the inner smile and opening the microcosmic orbit will help to initiate a Kundalini awakening, which I do not want to do until I reach at least stream entry (I think it would be too chaotic). Do you really think doing these two exercises will make for a much easier meditative experience or should I stick to strict noting?

Best,

Adam
J Adam G, modified 13 Years ago at 12/5/10 10:34 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/5/10 10:34 PM

Doing practices like microcosmic orbit and inner smile can certainly help make the journey easier. They don't move you along the insight stages, and from an orthodox Theravada perspective they would be considered concentration practices. Concentration is, in fact, very helpful during the dark night. That, and many people have reported a decrease (though not an elimination) of dark night symptoms by doing those practices, or other practices like yoga, qi gong, or the "five tibetan rites."
Crazy Wisdom, modified 13 Years ago at 12/8/10 5:48 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/8/10 5:48 AM

Doing the orbit, secret smile and belly breathing and over time learning to do all simultaniously is what is supposed to open kundalini. As I understand it it is the fusion of the practices into one that raises kundalini but it seems plausible that doing them seperately will also have that effect. By belly breathing I mean concious deep belly breathing not just watching the breath do whatever it likes as in shamatha by the way. Once kundalini is activated orbit, secret smile and belly breathing are mongst those practices that helps smooth things out also. The secret smile I think helps in large part by keeping you in a very good emotional state.

In order to reduce the ods of kundalini you are probably right in that avoiding the secret smile would be best just in case. But the inner smile which is an entirely different practice but with some similarities is not supposed to be more helpfull in raising kundalini than other practices. Any practice for the most part will do something to lay the ground for kundalini being raised so anything you deceide to do might bring it on. However, the orbit is so key in keeping balanced both with and without kundalini that including it during a period of intense meditation is, as far as I can see, a very good idea. I would still keep the orbit, inner smile and standing meditation.

Breadcrumb