Does anyone know how to start a Dzogchen practice?

Matthew McLoughlin, modified 4 Years ago at 4/4/19 10:34 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 4/4/19 10:34 AM

Does anyone know how to start a Dzogchen practice?

Hey.
I'm looking for a starting point and resources on how to do Dzogchen.  

If anyone has any tips, technique information, or resources, they would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias!
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 4 Years ago at 4/4/19 4:51 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 4/4/19 4:51 PM

RE: Does anyone know how to start a Dzogchen practice?

thumbnail
Jehanne S Peacock, modified 4 Years ago at 4/5/19 4:31 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 4/5/19 4:30 AM

Hi Matthew,
I've found the instructions of my teacher Kim Katami to be very clear. There are plenty of his guided sessions on the Open Heart youtube page. For example this playlist starts wih Basics of Dzogchen Practise parts 1 to 5 which might be a good place to start.

One of the more recent sources that I myself have just recently listened to and that I would warmly recommend are the following "workshops" that were aired on the OH public facebook page. They are directed to the general public so there is no background infromation necessary, anyone can easly follow though these guided sessions:

Knowing Awareness and Three Basic Characteristics + Tips

Following the Breath with Knowing Awareness

Knowing Awareness and Mind in Movement

Also continuing with the same basic Dzogchen awareness, but focusing on Boddhicitta that I've found many people have a lot of questions about, I'd higly recomment these two (the series will continue next Tuesday)

Boddhicitta 1: A BA HU MANI PEME HUM HRI

Boddhicitta 2: Understanding Bodhicitta Through Experience

For me the clearest benefit from this sort of practise has been the increasing ability to recognize the natural state. I've gone through many of these sessions and also sat at home daily, doing the Dzogchen ati yoga. I can remember the three pointers to the natural state by heart and can open my experience to be able to sense them. And suddenly all effort drops away and I rest effortlessly in mind's nature. It is very beautiful emoticon

If you have any questions or comments, ask away!
shargrol, modified 4 Years ago at 4/5/19 6:54 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 4/5/19 6:52 AM

Matthew McLoughlin:
Hey.
I'm looking for a starting point and resources on how to do Dzogchen.  

If anyone has any tips, technique information, or resources, they would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias!

It sort of depends on what you have read and done so far. If you can kinda focus on the teachings themselves, rather than the cultural aspects of this group, I think that there is really good stuff on http://arointroduction.org/ and you can't go wrong with doing their online/email introduction: http://arobuddhism.org/content/view/446/47/ 

Technically Dzogchen is a very advanced practice, but the interesting thing is that it sorta "works" at whatever level you are at. (Aro has a way of talking about it along the lines of "Dzogchen at the sutta level" "Dzogchen at the tantric level" and "Dzogchen at the Dzogchen level" which has a good internal logic to it.)

I used a lot of dzogchen frames when I was first starting meditation, especially the idea of mind nature and self-liberation. This is a particular way of looking at experience that recognizes the inherently vivid nature of anything percieved as fundamentally being an expression of mind nature --- and therefore something very inimate and personal while beyond the limited sense of yourself -- and the recognition that very litte effort is needed to meditate because all solid states naturally evolve and transform into another state, so all you have to do is sit and watch/notice. This self-liberating aspect of mind nature (which you could call imperminance, too) allows practice to simply involve sitting down, looking at your actual experience, and watching it change (which you could also call doing nothing, too) and simply being interested in it. So it can be a great way to approach practice.

There will be a lot of people who will point out "oh, that's not real dzogchen theory, not real dzogchen practice" etc etc  but the important thing is to find a framework that empowers your personal practice. By asking about a tibetian practices you enter the world of all sorts of sectarian and philosophical debates... but don't let that throw you off track. Find the thing that attracted you to ask about dzogchen practices and work on THAT. This first step leads to the next step which leads to the next step.

Best wishes!

Breadcrumb