Message Boards Message Boards

Insight and Wisdom

Short periods of walking meditation throughout the day

Toggle
Can anyone point me towards some effective instructions for walking meditation? The majority of my practice so far has been sitting, laying down, and yoga but nowadays I work from home and have been using the opportunity to do a short amount of walking meditation at the end of each hour.

I walk back and forth along the hallway in my apartment (about 10 to 15 steps) and use the sensations in my feet and legs as the main object. I try to remain mindul and note when attention drifts into daydreaming/mind and return it to the sensations in my body. It seems like most of the time my awareness shifts to something in the visual field, then I note that and return to the sensations in my feet.

Also I tend to split my sitting/laying down meditation into either concentration or insight, is it possible to use walking meditation as a concentraition practice?

RE: Short periods of walking meditation throughout the day
Answer
5/17/19 1:37 PM as a reply to rik.
 I think for me walking is more of a concentration practice. Like you said I focus on the sensations of the feet and legs also full body focusing when I am turning and the I stop and do breath practice focusing on the breath sound and sensations at the back of the nasal cavity. Most of it is momentary concentration but once I am in concentration it’s pretty solid. The stopping and breath focus really helps my get prepared to Star noting once I lay down for practice. 

Answer
5/21/19 10:05 PM as a reply to rik.
I forgot to leave these directions on the last post. This article explains walking meditation instructions and benefits. One benefit being concentration.

https://www.sirimangalo.org/text/how-to-meditate/chapter-three-walking-meditation/

Answer
5/22/19 9:13 AM as a reply to rik.
Some of this might be useful for you:

http://kennethfolkdharma.com/2018/01/walking-meditation/