Dream like visions

Kalle Spolander, modified 4 Years ago at 5/21/19 11:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/21/19 11:28 AM

Dream like visions

Hello all knowledgeable people!! This is my second post because I posted in in the wrong place. 

I’m intermittently experiencing weird things while meditating. I’ve meditated daily for about 6 months and I do about an hour a day. Sometimes when I try to concentrate I get weird “visions”. They’re not really visions but they are dreamlike in nature and are incredibly crazy. They are random like a dream but I know I’m not sleeping because I can realize during these “visions” that they’re crazy and return to the breath. At first I thought it was some sort of micro sleep but I’ve experienced the same thing while being fully rested and highly caffeinated. 

What are they? Should I do something to get rid of it or should I just note it like I note everything else?
shargrol, modified 4 Years ago at 5/21/19 7:00 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/21/19 7:00 PM

RE: Dream like visions

For what it's worth, I sometimes got something similar... but when I was on longer retreats. During afternoon and evening sits, I would see dream like imagery, not slow dreams but rather fast flashes of images and geometric patterns. It felt almost like half of my mind was dreaming and half was awake and I could switch between the two --- for all I know, that might be what was happening, but I have no idea what they are. I didn't get rid of it, but rather kind of watched it and played with going in and out of the dream state and back into normal awareness of the room or my breath.

>shrug< 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 5/22/19 12:21 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/22/19 12:21 AM

I get something like that too. Noting them seems to work.
Kalle Spolander, modified 4 Years ago at 5/22/19 1:37 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/22/19 1:37 PM

Thank you guys! At least I know I’m not alone or crazy. I mean in a way it doesn’t matter. Just another thing to note. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 12:55 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 12:55 AM

I’m not entirely sure I’m not crazy, but yeah, it feels good not to be alone. If I’m crazy, then at least I’m in good company. emoticon
thumbnail
Jehanne S Peacock, modified 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 8:21 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 8:15 AM

Hi!
I remember reading in MCTB that during EQ there might occur some reverie, which I think means something like a vision or a daydream. I didn't originally really notice that being mentioned in the book, but then I remember one DhO member specifically bring that up as a sign of EQ or something. Perhaps it was this thread.

I've also experienced during sleep these episodes where I am basically sleeping but "awareness is awake". This is accompanied with a geometric vision. The details of that have been changing during the years and I wonder if it's something that indicates progress, or completely irrelevant. It seems to be consistent though... Started out as pretty basic checkboard-like black and white images, mostly static but maybe slightly moving rows. The details have been increasing and the coloring has become more close to different shades of gray and movement is increasing. The last one, just last night, consisted of a Escher-type buildings that were constantly morphing and rotating, very subtle gray soft coloring and huge amounts of detail.

I occasionally experience auditory hallucinations too, like hearing a balloon explode or someone calling my name. Never considered them as a sign of going crazy!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 10:50 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 10:50 AM

I also tend to ”meditate in sleep” in certain phases; that’s actually also EQ but later than the dreamlike visions during meditation. I see grey scale patterns as well, usually different varieties of ”The flower of life”, including a version that sounds pretty much like Escher-type images. It rotated and morphed as well.
Bianca, modified 4 Years ago at 5/25/19 3:47 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/25/19 3:47 AM

It's likely a type of siddhi called clairvoyance -- intuition by images, especially as compared to another clair such as clairaudience (Intuition by sound). There are three types of clairs. Precognition -- predicting the future, present cognition -- you know that, and retrocognition -- being able to tell parts of the past not yet discovered. Most, if not all, people start with present cognition if you're wondering, and it's likely those images are clues to give insight to your present personal development situation. Think about it. Look up the blog Intuitive Souls for more.

Congratulations on these visions. It means you're getting into more advanced levels of the practice.