investigating emotion

Nik J, modified 13 Years ago at 1/1/11 1:39 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/1/11 1:39 PM

investigating emotion

Hello everybody,

I have recently become very interested in actual freedom and after several days of almost constant reading, I came upon this guide: http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/actualism/path2.htm

It struck me as a very "step by step" overview of a method of achieving AF.

However, in the subheading Investigating Emotions, is the following sentence: "In order to investigate anger it is important to look at my beliefs, morals and ethical values about the emotion so that I am able to stop the automatic reaction of denying and repressing the emotion."

Do any of you have advice or experience on how to "look at my beliefs... to stop the automatic reaction of denying and repressing the emotion"?

Thank you.

Nika
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 1/1/11 3:02 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/1/11 3:02 PM

RE: investigating emotion

Hello & welcome to the DhO,

Nika Japaridze:
Do any of you have advice or experience on how to "look at my beliefs... to stop the automatic reaction of denying and repressing the emotion"?

Here is a good place to start: http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/richard/articles/thismomentofbeingalive.htm

After having read that, dig around the site looking for terms mentioned in that passage (so that you may then understand more clearly the words expressed on that page and thus the method itself); those terms such as: naivete, apperception, etc.

There are many specific examples of investigating the nitty-gritty behind beliefs in the sections written by Vineeto and Peter. One such page that 'I' found quite useful: http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/actualism/vineeto/selected-correspondence/corr-love.htm

If the method is then still unclear-- having read through all of that and the related passages-- please post again.

Trent
Nik J, modified 13 Years ago at 1/7/11 12:28 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/7/11 12:28 PM

Hello Trent,

Thank you for the welcome and the links.

I have read the "This Moment of Being Alive" article several times, and although I am sure I haven't understood all aspects of it, allow me to check if my understanding of the beginning steps is correct:

I should keep my attention focused on the experience of this (and every) moment of being alive as a flesh and blood body.
I should look at my feelings and if not feeling good, investigate the reasons for the bad feeling, and the silliness of allowing these reasons to make me feel.

Would this be how I get started? Anything to add or take away?

Also, would you recommend continuing yoga and meditation? How about physical training?

Thanks again.

Nika
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 1/7/11 4:26 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/7/11 4:26 PM

Nika Japaridze:

However, in the subheading Investigating Emotions, is the following sentence: "In order to investigate anger it is important to look at my beliefs, morals and ethical values about the emotion so that I am able to stop the automatic reaction of denying and repressing the emotion."

It seems pretty straightforward to me. Identify beliefs, observe them, question them. Compare beliefs with the facts. Is there a specific reason you ask the question?
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 1/9/11 10:35 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/9/11 10:34 AM

RE: investigating emotion (Answer)

Hi,

Nika Japaridze:
Would this be how I get started? Anything to add or take away?

You may start by applying that method, but you may also consider: re-reading that specific page every single day until you think you can reproduce it from memory (then re-read it only once a week or so). While also applying the method the best you can, read the AFtrust site front to back with a focus on understanding the vocabulary / concepts (the puzzle pieces) and all that is implied (how those pieces fit together). Reading through past DhO posts will also provide that kind of information. When you understand the terms well-- those such as "naivete" and "pure intent"-- your application of the method will gain the appropriate context needed to maximize its effectiveness.

Try approaching it like a new subject in school, or a new project at work; one which only you can accomplish, and only with minimal assistance from others. The test of your understanding reoccurs every moment you are alive..."Am I suffering?"

Nika Japaridze:
Also, would you recommend continuing yoga and meditation? How about physical training?

I recommend maintaining a healthy degree of physical fitness (by whatever means is least stressful). Whether I would recommend meditation depends on where you are with it currently.

Trent
Nik J, modified 13 Years ago at 1/11/11 4:27 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/11/11 4:27 PM

Trent, Daniel,

Thank you for your answers. I can see how I should proceed based on your advice. I will put it to practice and see what happens.

thanks again.

PS Trent, regarding meditation, I have done mantra meditation as per www.aypsite.org, about 30-40 minutes a day a few weeks at a time. If i had to classify myself, I would say I am a complete beginner.
Nik J, modified 13 Years ago at 1/11/11 4:32 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/11/11 4:32 PM

Daniel Johnson:
Nika Japaridze:

It seems pretty straightforward to me. Identify beliefs, observe them, question them. Compare beliefs with the facts. Is there a specific reason you ask the question?

I asked the question initially because I didn't understand the phrase "look at my beliefs" as "Identify beliefs, observe them, question them. Compare beliefs with the facts."
Thanks again.
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 1/11/11 9:57 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/11/11 9:57 PM

Hi,

Nika Japaridze:
Trent, Daniel,

Thank you for your answers. I can see how I should proceed based on your advice. I will put it to practice and see what happens.

thanks again.

PS Trent, regarding meditation, I have done mantra meditation as per www.aypsite.org, about 30-40 minutes a day a few weeks at a time. If i had to classify myself, I would say I am a complete beginner.

No problem. Based on the information provided in the PS, I would recommend using your own judgment. A smooth transition from one practice to another may be preferred (or not), for instance.

Check back often, and freely post when you have questions.

Trent