Choosing a path

Salvijus, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 4:05 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 4:05 AM

Choosing a path

Hello people

I struggle to choose a path. And I wonder if there's something wrong in following 3 gurus at the same time? Something inside me says It's not okey but i can't figure out why exacly.
My problem is that I love them all. I love all traditions and all techniques. Right now I do Mooji self-inquiry advaita vedanta, sadhguru yoga and S. N. Goenka vipassana. And I feel like I should chose one of them but the moment I chose something I get the withdrawal simptoms. It feels like I'm missing out on so many other benefits that other practices has to offer. And I just want all of these benefits to myself. But at the same time I feel troubled that I'm not one pointed. It feels like I should just chose a single path and involve myself into it completly. I wonder if doing differerent techniques from different traditions is beneficial or actually It's some kind of avoidence maybe. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Of course I know that some techniques are not complient but these things that I do work well. It feels like they actually even support each other. But still my mind can't find peace with this situation. 

I would greatly appreciate some wisdom or insight. Thank you 
thumbnail
Jordi, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 4:54 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 4:53 AM

RE: Choosing a path

Hi, quick answer, do one in the morning and other in the afternoon.

Techniques are  techniques,  traditions are traditions, dont worry to much about it, just work on have a solid daily practice whetever you pick.

Some people do meditation and also do yoga an this is not a problem. Or is like someone like to paint and paint with acyrlics and watercolor at the end is painting. So, just meditate! In the end meditation is a very creative process, you can achive the same result with diferent ways, if you want you can create your own technique emoticon. What is important is some dedication and really learn to observe ( if you are doing no-dual ).

For me is more interesting to explore what you said you are expirencing, observing the doubt, the indecision, the withdrawal, there is the where the gold is it. Sometimes just doing a technique can be very "numb". What is happening to you right now is "real expirence", things are showing up to you, I dont know if you understand what Im trying to say emoticon.

Good luck!

Salvijus, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 5:53 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 5:14 AM

[quote=For me is more interesting to explore what you said you are expirencing, observing the doubt, the indecision, the withdrawal, there is the where the gold is it. Sometimes just doing a technique can be very "numb". What is happening to you right now is "real expirence", things are showing up to you, I dont know if you understand what Im trying to say emoticon.
]
Good luck!

Thank you for your reply emoticon 

Yes I understand. This would be like adding one more practice to my life emoticon but yes I do that also. I try to stay aware of the present moment all the time during the day. Naturally i become aware of my inner world. 

When you say it doesn't matter or that you can create your own practices. This is the very thing that I'm trying to question. Why no one ever encourages to do practices from different traditions.. Sometimes they are too polite to say it but you can feel that it is frowned upon. I wonder what is the reason behind it. I doubt it is a dogmatic reason. I think it has something to do with inner integrity. People who commit to one path have a differerent strenght and presence. (just my observation) 

I saw one explanation between the lines in this video. Sadhguru says that it disturbs the life within if you keep changing your practice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tj5pIP1Pag

"every time you choose or un-choose, you distort your course of destiny. A determined mind is the mind whose choice is permanent. Once you make a permanent choice, you become choiceless. Such a mind will allow destiny to flow the way you have chosen." #sadhguru 

It's like the practice is not only a practice. It is also a lifestyle. It's a buddhist way of living. Yogic way of living or christian way of living. You can't live a double life. Morning a monk, evening something else emoticon Life inside will lose It's integrity and you'll won't go far without very strong integrity. 

That's my current view I guess. I'm organizing my thoughts as I write these posts. I think it helps emoticon again Thank you for your reply emoticon 
thumbnail
Jordi, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 6:23 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 6:23 AM

Hey!,yes if you can focus on one techinque is better, all the energy goes in one practice.

But is the same in theravada some people struggle if do pure vipassana or do some jhanas, at the end you do both naturally and one complements the other. Is not bad to try diferent things, but its true that commintment and focusing one something you can get best solid and fast results. 

About what the gurus says I prefer to check on myself and fail before just trust blind even if he had the good point, I try to very cautious about the guru thing. I listen them that I listen anyone else, they just share an opinion or point of view, thats it. I dont put it more value becouse they or others declare gurus. Anyways listening videos/audios and reading books/forums from diferent people (also gurus ) I got a lot of wisdom that help me a lot!

And lifestyles...yeah, If you like the style, the culture, the set pracitces go on!  Atleast for me, maybe Im more pragmatic I dont like to add more labels and layers on myself, I have enough work being Jordi, I dont really want/need to add monk, yogic, christian or whatever emoticon 

At the end we all are diferents, and we choose diferent paths, there is not rigth or wrong, just expirence, so choose the path you feel more comfortable and make seens to you and walk it! As we say here in Europe "All roads leads to rome".
thumbnail
Rich Lee, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 7:11 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 7:11 AM

The usual answer to this question that describes a man digging a well to find water. He digs 5ft deep, not finding water, so moves along and digs another, also 5ft deep. No water.. And so on. The result is he digs lots of shallow holes but never finds water.

Having said that, I've certainly mixed dissimilar techniques, feeling that I get some benefit from e.g. purifications from Taoist cultivation as well as from Vipassana and Shamatha practice (which do go well together). But it may be relevant that I've been sitting for decades and I'm not claiming to be an arhat.

Oh, and for practical reasons - you risk really messing up your energy system - it's best to avoid multiple energetic techniques, say Tummo and Microcosmic circulation, or different QiGong practices. There are relatively few people who have the healing skills, or even the understanding, to help you out when you do. Personal experience there.
Salvijus, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 7:42 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 7:42 AM

Thank you for your imput. Jordi emoticon

Thank you Rick Lee also emoticon