AF = Right Resolve + Right Mindfulness

thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 2/24/11 9:04 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/24/11 8:35 PM

AF = Right Resolve + Right Mindfulness

Warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I admit I have only briefly tried to understand AF practice, it seems simple enough. You just constantly ask HAIETMOBA and try to make your experience better? right?

I mean isn't this just the two factors of the eightfold path right resolve + right mindfulness? The fourth foundation of mindfulness is being aware of the five hindrances and seven factors of awakening (along with sixfold sense media and 5 clinging aggregates) in terms of the four noble truths. This means abandoning those things which are causes of suffering (5 hindrances) and developing those things which are factors for awakening and also happiness (seven factors of awakening). Developing/maintaining wholesome qualities and abandoning/avoiding unwholesome qualities (right resolve) seems just like AF. Maybe the difference is in what is considered "wholesome" and "unwholesome."

The rest of the eightfold path is basically being nice to people and meditating (and having the insights you gain from that meditation), maybe Buddhism and AF aren't so different. AF is kinda the fourth foundation of mindfulness along with right resolve. Is what I'm saying at all true AFsters? help me out here, thanks.

also, going along with the little metaphor what is 'skillful' and what is 'unskillful' unskillful would be fear, aggression, nurture, desire, what would skillful be? awareness, naivete, pure intent... what else? causes of happiness..?
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 13 Years ago at 2/24/11 11:59 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/24/11 11:59 PM

RE: AF = Right Resolve + Right Mindfulness

Too many cooks spoil the broth. Seriously. Think about this.
adam gregory greene:
Warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

You're right. You don't know what you're talking about.

You might do better to just leave AF alone for now and to concentrate on gaining a better understanding of the Dhamma and its practice. Jumping from one discipline to another when you are inexperienced and ignorant in both is only going to lead to confusion.

Just one opinion, but it comes from experience.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 2/25/11 3:28 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/25/11 3:28 AM

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but the major difference in the two practices as I have practiced them, is that in actualism I actively work towards being happy, towards enjoying this moment --- rather than just trying to "see things as they are" and hope that eventually leads to enjoyment.
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 2/25/11 9:08 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/25/11 9:08 PM

Sincerely, thanks Ian for trying to help me, but I've kinda realized that AF is um... the shit. And I can't imagine anyone sincerely attempting it and coming to a different conclusion - I will just stick with one discipline AF. Who needs equanimity when your in heaven? Who needs heaven when your already there?