Does this state have a name?

thumbnail
bill of the wandering mind, modified 13 Years ago at 4/19/11 5:13 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/19/11 5:13 PM

Does this state have a name?

This has happened twice to me in the last month, each time for about 30-60 minutes or so....

The first time it happened I was looking for 'now' over and over - the second time it happened I had been feeling a painful energetic sensation working its way up to my head and neck, very difficult and having repeated aversion from the mind. I decided to fully accept the sensations and once again hit this state. These are both in daily life off of the cushion.

let me describe the experience.

Its as if I am way more here than usual, everything is crisp and clear, vivid, beautiful in a non-exciting way, but there isnt any effort at all required to maintain this - like some aspect of second jhana. The mind exists but is not 'on top', and in both cases there was *zero* suffering. Instead of joy or bliss there was this deep, serene quality of existence, a sense of space into the surroundings but there was still a sense of self. The one quality of these two experiences was that each time they happened I felt like 'hey I rememebr feeling this way when I was a kid' - Instead of feeling contrived in some way they felt entirely natural, like normal life but without suffering and without past/future. The ability to look at something and hold attention on it clearly also felt normal, natural, but not necessary, or something to be desired, just they way things are.

ideas? PCE lite? lite 4th jhana since the predominant feeling was peace or rather lack of any stirring emotions?

Thanks.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 4/19/11 5:53 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/19/11 5:53 PM

RE: Does this state have a name?

Hey Bill,

What's your practice like right now? What sort of stuff have you done in the past?

It's kinda hard to get a handle on this until we know what you're doing, and what sort of practice you've done 'cause, based on what you've said and with no details of what you're doing, this could be a lot of stuff although it certainly sounds like a PCE.

I get the impression form your other posts that you've been doing this for a while, so what's your story? It's always nice to know what you've been up to and how you got here.

Mudita,
- Tommy
thumbnail
bill of the wandering mind, modified 13 Years ago at 4/19/11 6:09 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/19/11 6:07 PM

ahh - sitting on and off for ~19 yrs, most of which didnt count because I couldnt keep it consistent, mostly only did a half hour in a day and did no retreats. Just 'tried to be here'
5 years ago started sitting every day rain or shine, have slowly ramped up, average is now 1-2 hours over the last year and now 2hrs per day in the last month, hoping to keep it that way. Have done about 40 total days of retreat over the last 5 years, but in small chunks, like 3 days here or there. Now doing 3 days every 2 months.
Have done alot of breath following, open awareness type practices, with some noting of mind level stuff thrown in, until finding KFD and DHO recently. Have had a difficult time with the noting but have now settled on the noting as my main practice, even using it as a shamatha technique now sometimes when I feel I need to stabilize before I note all over the place. In the last year my ability to concentrate has gone from ten breaths max to a whole hour without missing a breath although I still lack the continuity to attain jhana - which is OK. I have crossed A&P(more times than I can remember, sometimes spontaneously and in pretty wild ways) and I *think* I am in reobservation, now with more noting popping into low EQ and then falling back down starting another cycle - I get this contraction/energy that starts in the hara and works its way up to the crown, causing all sorts of crazy emotions and mental stuff, which thankfully I have been noting and becoming more and more OK with (slowly). The cycle seems to be speeding up but to what end I dont know. I'm becoming more OK with the idea that I suffer through it and learn something because of what seems to be on the other side. I'm not sure if I am in real low EQ or just some sort of equaniminous phase before another cycle of reob - its happened a number of times now (maybe 5-10?) since I started noting a month or so ago. The highs and lows are a bit nuts but I'm starting to see that just noting them and not pushing or pulling is the way to go.
thumbnail
bill of the wandering mind, modified 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 10:50 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 4/20/11 10:50 AM

Sounds like a PCE? Hmm. Thanks.