Message Boards Message Boards

Books and Websites

A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org

Toggle
A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 3/8/20 6:07 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 3/8/20 4:52 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Chris Marti 3/8/20 6:21 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org shargrol 3/8/20 6:26 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Chris Marti 3/9/20 6:58 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Hibiscus Kid 3/8/20 6:50 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Not two, not one 3/8/20 7:31 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Zachary 3/8/20 7:53 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org tamaha 3/8/20 10:14 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Noah D 3/9/20 1:06 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Buddhamma 3/9/20 2:57 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Conscio - - 3/9/20 3:34 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org atrahhdis 6/5/20 5:56 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 3/9/20 7:51 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 3/9/20 8:08 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Ben V. 3/9/20 11:03 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Niels Lyngsø 3/9/20 5:05 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Matthew 3/9/20 3:54 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 3/9/20 6:06 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Nicolas G. 3/9/20 7:34 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 3/9/20 8:27 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Zero 3/12/20 2:37 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Hac Phi^2 Vita 3/9/20 8:28 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Monsoon Frog 3/12/20 1:26 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org atrahhdis 3/13/20 3:01 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 3/13/20 8:20 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Brandon Dayton 3/13/20 9:13 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Tim Farrington 4/28/20 1:59 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org shargrol 4/28/20 5:38 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 4/28/20 7:47 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Chris Marti 4/28/20 7:57 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 4/28/20 6:07 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Chris Marti 4/29/20 6:25 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Tim Farrington 4/29/20 6:31 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Chris Marti 4/29/20 6:35 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Tim Farrington 4/29/20 6:39 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Tim Farrington 4/9/20 10:24 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 6/4/20 7:20 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Chris Marti 6/5/20 6:33 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org mrdust 6/5/20 10:01 AM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 6/5/20 12:37 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org mrdust 6/5/20 1:37 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Pepe 6/5/20 2:41 PM
RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org Sam Gentile 6/5/20 11:17 AM
Hi everyone,

Through the years, many of us have enjoyed Shargrol's thoughtful, elaborate and inspiring posts, which cover a broad spectrum of topics: concentration, vipassana, teacher & student relationship, and navigating through the Theravada insight maps.

With Shargrol's ok, I have prepared a blog with a compilation of his (131!) posts that I appreciate most, in order to make them more accessible for all fellow DhO members. As it is a single really long post (over 43,000 words), I provided jump links to each topic and also links to the original DhO threads, so as to provide better context.

Link: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org

Hope you enjoy!

RE: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOverground.org
Answer
3/8/20 4:52 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Wow, great initiative! Thanks! 

Answer
3/8/20 6:21 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Wow, nice work!

And my guess is shargrol didn't have to lift a finger  emoticon

Answer
3/8/20 6:26 PM as a reply to Chris Marti.
A big thanks to Pepe for putting this together!

(well Chris, I did have to type it all in the first time emoticon )

Answer
3/8/20 6:50 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Wow Pepe, this is really awesome! Can't wait to explore it and see which of shargrol's posts may have flown under my radar emoticon 

Maybe you can do Chris Marti next emoticon

Answer
3/8/20 7:31 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Fantastic!

Answer
3/8/20 7:53 PM as a reply to Pepe.
This is great, thanks so much! 

Answer
3/8/20 10:14 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Thanks!  Would also love to see Daniel Ingram's posts compilation too. I'm sure there are plenty of his posts, topics of which are not discussed in MCTB.

Answer
3/9/20 2:57 AM as a reply to Pepe.
I wasn't really sure what I expected when I clicked the link. But what a great post this is. Very neatly organized too. Lots great things to look through. Thanks for this post. Metta!

Answer
3/9/20 3:34 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Brilliant. Thank you so much.

Answer
6/5/20 5:56 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Many thanks for that!

BTW, I decided to make an ebook in order to read it on my kindle.

You can get epub/azw3/mobi files from this location:

https://github.com/atrahhdis/shargrol

In order to make these e-books I did the following:

html --> docx (in order to create H1 and H2 headers) using pandoc
docx --> epub using pandoc
epub --> azw3 and mobi using calibre

The azw3 file includes additional soft hyphenation using Hyphenate This! calibre plugin.

Edit:

I also added a zip attachment on this post.

Answer
3/9/20 6:58 AM as a reply to shargrol.
(well Chris, I did have to type it all in the first time emoticon )

Ya got me! Zapped!

Answer
3/9/20 7:51 AM as a reply to atrahhdis.
The e-book made it even more accessible. Amazing! Great job, all three of you!

I've got to say that I really admire organization skills in people. For me that's the kind of thing that costs me too much, energy-wise, due to deficits in executive functioning. When people generously share their organization skills, that's a blessing. Good karma! 

Answer
3/9/20 8:08 AM as a reply to Pepe.
I have a compilation of curious's advice on my wish list, but it may be the case that the best of them are too situational to be made justice out of context, as timing and situatedness is a big part of it. 

Answer
3/9/20 11:03 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Awesome. Thanks for doing that!

Answer
3/9/20 1:06 PM as a reply to tamaha.
Added this blog to the best of DHO wiki - https://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/Best+of+the+DhO
Thanks!  Would also love to see Daniel Ingram's posts compilation too. I'm sure there are plenty of his posts, topics of which are not discussed in MCTB.

+ 1 on a blog for compiled / best of of Daniel being helpful, in which case that could also go on the best of wiki.

Answer
3/9/20 5:05 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Excellent! Thank you so much! Shargrol's posts have been immensely helpful to me, especially the ones dealing with what happens from A&P until SE, since that's the territory I seem to be navigating currently. emoticon 

Answer
3/9/20 3:54 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Thank you Pepe! Really awesome - appreciate the block-level links a ton.

A personal highlight of the highlights:
At a certain point the obstacle 'is about not recognizing it, or seeing it and not appreciating it, ESPECIALLY denying it as too simple to be the answer, and rejecting it because it seems too easy. "One integrated field with all the sense modalities and thoughts and the rest all together in one fluxing 3D shifting self-illuminating space" is the sensation of wiping your butt with scratchy toilet paper. Simple. Exact. Gone as quick as it appears. Ordinary is already non-dual -- how do we overlook something so obvious?'

Or, as the Zen folks say:
What is Buddha?
Shit stick.

Answer
3/9/20 6:06 PM as a reply to Matthew.
Matthew:
Thank you Pepe! Really awesome - appreciate the block-level links a ton.

A personal highlight of the highlights:
At a certain point the obstacle 'is about not recognizing it, or seeing it and not appreciating it, ESPECIALLY denying it as too simple to be the answer, and rejecting it because it seems too easy. "One integrated field with all the sense modalities and thoughts and the rest all together in one fluxing 3D shifting self-illuminating space" is the sensation of wiping your butt with scratchy toilet paper. Simple. Exact. Gone as quick as it appears. Ordinary is already non-dual -- how do we overlook something so obvious?'

Or, as the Zen folks say:
What is Buddha?
Shit stick.

Ha! That was exactly what I was trying to explain in my log (don't remember which one of them) recently when I was misunderstood over and over again. I obviously don't have Shargrol's wording skills. 

Answer
3/9/20 7:34 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Thanks Pepe and Shargrol! This is excellent!

Answer
3/9/20 8:27 PM as a reply to Pepe.
I'm happy you liked Shargrol's post compilation! Individually, each of his posts stands out in the threads, but seeing them grouped by themes or stages of the insight process gives a better idea of ​​his take in the subject. It's really nice to read them one after another. I hope some day he would write a book, developing, expanding and rounding out his ideas.

I would happily sign up to compile Daniel Ingram's posts. 

I already posted in January a summary of a part of his texts. Buried in the MCTB2 I found a complete vipassana-samatha system, with his personal arrangement of The Seven Factors of Awakening, where he provides a very clear road map, mentioning specific practices, citing practices of other authors as complementary references, plus placing (and incorporating) in his framework other models widely discussed in DhO, such as Actualism and the variants of 'Let it be / Let it go'. In MCTB2, Daniel mentions that he would love this system to be used as a self-assessment of personal practices and as a frame for teacher-student dialogue. So it seemed to me that it was a necessity to rescue this from the book and put it in a format accessible to all.

Later, I added summaries of his texts on The Three Characteristics, with his practical instructions and tips. In the case of Anatta, I included not only the texts of MCTB1 and MCTB2, but also some of their posts in DhO, to make a better connection between inicial practices and the particular big insights of 3rd and 4th Path.

Please bear with me, because it's going to take a while to make this other compilation. Daniel has made more than 3000 posts !!

Answer
3/9/20 8:28 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Thank you so much for putting this together!

So well organized and easy to navigate. Also, based on the few posts I read now, seems like there are unbelievable amounts of pure gold in there.

Answer
3/12/20 1:26 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Thank you Pepe!
It's cool to see your version of 'Shargrol's greatest hits'.
Shargrol is one of my favorite contributors and a gifted teacher. 

Answer
3/12/20 2:37 PM as a reply to Pepe.
You're a bonafide legend for this. I'm entirely grateful to you, Shargol, and the DhO!

Answer
3/13/20 3:01 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Hi all,

further to my previous post regarding the e-book, I made some changes so here it goes:

I created a github repository and put the files there:

From this location you can download the latest epub/azw3/mobi files.

On tha same location you may also find markdowwn version of this text, which gives us a lot of additional options (github hosted website, use with hugo/jekyll, easy convertions in other formats etc.) for future use of this text.

Pepe/Shargrol, if you have any problem with the github material, please let me know. I only created it in order to allow further processing by the community.

Answer
3/13/20 8:20 AM as a reply to atrahhdis.
Hi Vladimir,

It's not my content, so it's not my call. Better PM Shargrol IMO. 

Answer
3/13/20 9:13 AM as a reply to Pepe.
I'm just starting to learn to appreciate Shargol's POV. Been enjoying reading through the compilation.

Answer
4/9/20 10:24 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Thank you, Pepe, for this awesome gift to us all.

Answer
4/28/20 1:59 AM as a reply to atrahhdis.
Vladimir Zetko:
Hi all,

further to my previous post regarding the e-book, I made some changes so here it goes:

I created a github repository and put the files there:

From this location you can download the latest epub/azw3/mobi files.

On tha same location you may also find markdowwn version of this text, which gives us a lot of additional options (github hosted website, use with hugo/jekyll, easy convertions in other formats etc.) for future use of this text.

Pepe/Shargrol, if you have any problem with the github material, please let me know. I only created it in order to allow further processing by the community.

Answer
4/28/20 5:38 AM as a reply to Tim Farrington.
I just looked again and saw the additional "new" pieces. Thanks for adding the additional material Pepe!

Answer
4/28/20 7:47 AM as a reply to shargrol.
Your welcome Shargrol! I've noticed that I missed quite a few thoughtful posts, so I'm trying to place them somewhere without disrupting the flow of the text. 

As probably many fellow DhOers will enter the blog now, the next inserts ('new') won't be in highlighted in yellow, but in light-blue, just to make easier to find the new ones. Hopefully, I'll finish the revision in a couple of weeks.

Answer
4/28/20 7:57 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Pepe, I'm so happy that you're doing this. Thank you, again. Thank you.

Answer
4/28/20 6:07 PM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Your welcome Chris! DhO is now over a decade old, there is so many gold buried in its almost 10.000 threads. Compiling Daniel's and Shargrol's posts is something sooner or later would occur. Perhaps a needed task to be addressed, given the cyclic renovation of members. We all benefit from these compilations, and that probably include moderators and old posters as well, it's handy when answering recurring questions, doubts, ask for advice. 

Best wishes!

Answer
4/29/20 6:25 AM as a reply to Pepe.
I'm both an old poster and an old moderator. (Age, you know.)

Answer
4/29/20 6:31 AM as a reply to Chris Marti.
You're the hottest freshest poster boy for old monitors!

Answer
4/29/20 6:35 AM as a reply to Tim Farrington.
Monitors:

Answer
4/29/20 6:39 AM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Chris Marti:
Monitors:

you badass Komodo motherfucker, you.

Answer
6/4/20 7:20 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Fellow members,

The compilation is now completed. It ended up being twice the original size. In case you entered before, there are signs in each entry ('new') with two colors, as the compilation was done in three rounds, so you can easily check which entries you haven't read yet.  

Shargrol kindly added an introduction to the blog plus a very interesting list of books for further reading. So check it out!

Here's the link to the blog, in case you miss it: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOveground 

Hope you enjoy!

Answer
6/5/20 6:33 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Great work!

I'm really happy to see my friend get his due. About time!

Answer
6/5/20 10:01 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Thanks much to both Shargrol and Pepe, I've found this compilation both interesting and useful in my practice.

I do have a request @Pepe - is there any way to make the root domain have some way of navigating to the content? At the moment it's empty, so a link to the blog page is required, since there's no obvious way to navigate to the content from the raw URL:  https://shargrolpostscompilation.blogspot.com

Answer
6/5/20 11:17 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Pepe:
Fellow members,

The compilation is now completed. It ended up being twice the original size. In case you entered before, there are signs in each entry ('new') with two colors, as the compilation was done in three rounds, so you can easily check which entries you haven't read yet.  

Shargrol kindly added an introduction to the blog plus a very interesting list of books for further reading. So check it out!

Here's the link to the blog, in case you miss it: A compilation of Shargrol's posts at DharmaOveground 

Hope you enjoy!
Let me allow myself to add to the chorus of voices of thanks for doing such a valuable thing! I have refered to shargol's posts on noting already

Answer
6/5/20 12:37 PM as a reply to mrdust.
Thanks Todust. I got absolutely no technical skills, so I don't know how to do that from where it is now. I made the blog in just one (extremely long) page (I guess that subdomains would be created if there were a page for each section) in order to facilitate de use of  "control + F" to search for a specific subject. Plus, below the Introduction you got the Table of Contents with jumps links to the entries. Isn't that enough to locate the texts? 

Answer
6/5/20 1:37 PM as a reply to Pepe.
Pepe:
Thanks Todust. I got absolutely no technical skills, so I don't know how to do that from where it is now. I made the blog in just one (extremely long) page (I guess that subdomains would be created if there were a page for each section) in order to facilitate de use of  "control + F" to search for a specific subject. Plus, below the Introduction you got the Table of Contents with jumps links to the entries. Isn't that enough to locate the texts? 

I think the layout is perfectly fine, no need to change anything there. What I'm referring to is if you type in or click on the main URL of the blog (without the /p/blog-page.html part):

https://shargrolpostscompilation.blogspot.com

That's the "home page" of the blog, and it says "no content here". I can't find a way to even click around and get to https://shargrolpostscompilation.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html with all the content.

Apparently the way to fix that on Blogger is to set up a redirect. This article (assuming it's up to date) explains how in step #2: https://helplogger.blogspot.com/2016/10/how-to-create-static-home-page-in-blogger.html

So in Blogger Settings you would create a custom redirect that redirects from 
/  
to   
/p/blog-page.html

This shouldn't change anything about the existing page or content. It would just make is so if somebody visits the blog home page they are automatically taken to the content page with all the juicy parts. It's not critical since people can still find their way there, it's just good search engine / webpage hygiene that makes it easier for people to arrive at the intended destination. (Happy to help via direct message if you wish, but feel free to ignore this all as pedantry if it's all a bit much.)

Either way I'm very glad this compilation exists as it's already helped me discover a lot of useful material I otherwise wouldn't have emoticon

Answer
6/5/20 2:41 PM as a reply to mrdust.
Great! Done the correction, thanks! That thing bugged me, but I didn't know how to correct it. Yep, Shargrol has some posts in reddit/streamentry so if people google him, it would be nice that the links actually work emoticon . Thanks again!