Satsang with Bird

thumbnail
Lorey L Hobbs, modified 12 Years ago at 7/21/11 2:57 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/21/11 2:57 PM

Satsang with Bird

I have had the privilege of witnessing a Robin build a nest in the umbrella on the deck off my studio. What incredible focus and relentless dedication as she built her nest: hour after hour gathering and arranging her creation, and I have spent hours watching.

My deck has been my favored place for meditation. Surrounded by trees, but with a very clear view of the sky: spaciousness, clouds passing, noticing the changes as the sun sets and then waiting for stars to appear and then the great expansiveness of the universe. Using a single star or planet is a great substitute for a candle. Ok, so you get the picture and obvious references.

Back to the Robin

Once this Robin has completed her nest, she sits for hours upon hours without moving but completely aware. I have attempted to make her feel comfortable with me so not to disturb her, and I would not want her to abandon her nest, etc. Taking her food, filling up the bird bath with fresh water, and talking very gently to her. She seems to trust me now and I can get quite close.

I am thinking, this Robin sitting is like a meditation, one-pointed concentration, absorption perhaps? Yes, she is unaware that she is conscious, but how much closer to what we are trying to attain. I decide to sit with her. A kind of competition.

She kicks my ass every time.

One of my recent goals has been to sit for longer periods of time. This Robin has been a great teacher for me. "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." Perhaps the student just notices. . .
This Good Self, modified 12 Years ago at 7/22/11 12:23 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/22/11 12:17 AM

RE: Satsang with Bird

I agree nature is a good teacher. It doesn't lie or try to deceive itself, and that puts it well ahead of a lot of human teachers.

I like the way animals provide immediate and accurate feedback to your vibe. Dogs particularly, but also birds and horses. If you approach them, or just sit with a certain vibe, they will follow along or just sit close by. If you're 'off center', they go a bit crazy. People also respond this way, but not quite so consistently because they have rules about how they should behave, although babies and toddlers are different.

There's a reason why campaigning politicians are asked to kiss babies. Watch the baby, watch the reaction. The baby won't be capable of a fake reaction.
thumbnail
Lorey L Hobbs, modified 12 Years ago at 7/22/11 3:22 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/22/11 3:22 PM

What I was sensing is that the states of concentration and absorption exist as forms. We as humans must assess and cultivate these states via beginnings of lifting the conditionings, which have covered them up. Like Plato's paradox of knowledge.

Anamnesis - a remembering.
Stian Gudmundsen Høiland, modified 12 Years ago at 9/12/11 5:34 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/12/11 5:33 PM

Lovely post. Thank you!

Breadcrumb