Some A&P events

Stian Gudmundsen Høiland, modified 12 Years ago at 8/21/11 9:37 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 8/21/11 9:21 AM

Some A&P events

VISUAL STROBING
I was lying in bed, falling asleep, entertaining a few thoughts that I do not specifically remember, but I do know that they were making me feel good and that these thoughts were of a certain kind that I have had many times when I was younger. Something like the preparation for flying dreams that Daniel describes. As my body-consciousness gently fades, my attention is suddenly, but not abruptly, brought to the visual field - which at this point didn't contain much other than the dimmed colors and lights barely perceivable at the back of my eyelids. And this (the visual field) - being my whole experience in that moment - strobes in and out three times. When it goes out there is nothing, when it comes back it is just those dimmed colors and lights. I immediately and calmly recognize it as an A&P event. I fade off into sleep with some very pleasant energies moving in my softly squirming body.

TWO PIANO NOTES
I had a period of days where I would listen to the song Crazy by Patsy Cline on repeat. One of those days I was driving in the car on my way home. That day I had probably listened to the song 50-60 times already and just as I exited a tunnel on the highway the song was about to start again. If you listen to the song you'll notice that the first sounds in the song are a few lonely piano notes, and it happened just then, with the first two notes of the piano playing. My whole universe centered around these two piano notes, in a spontaneous exclusion of everything else in attention, seeing only those two notes with magnificent clarity, beauty and distinction. The rest of that ride home I sang with all my might together with Patsy Cline and I was very happy.

While it was a very nicely experienced event, it didn't cross my mind that it could be an A&P event until the day after when I was telling this story to someone else. Then it dawned on me that this was another A&P event.

BIRD TWEET OUTSIDE
This is a note that I wrote down on my phone immediately following this little event:

A single tweet from a bird and...

There was a split second with soft calmness. It was utterly peaceful. And after that...

Thoughts feel impure, even toxic. Joy feels distracting, even irritating.

I had been inside for two days straight and was going out for a walk to the store to buy some milk. As I closed the door to the house a wall of smell hit me - the smell of outside, as opposed to the two-day-old smell of inside. It was soft, sweet and fresh. The sun was shining and it was very beautiful outside. I walked a few steps and suddenly my whole universe centered around a few simple sounds of a bird tweeting. These few sounds were perceived, once again, with magnificent clarity, beauty and distinction.

As you can see from the note it didn't last long, and what seems to be Dark Night-related stuff happened very shortly thereafter (note: if it was Dark Night, then it was a very, very mild Dark Night).

GRAND SPACE
I was sitting in the passenger seat of a car with a friend driving. It was nighttime and we were listening to electronic music on his expensive speakers. I close my eyes and notice that I for some reason feel very safe and secure. As we cruise along the road in high speed, my favorite song of all times comes on the stereo. It is a very spacious song with echoes and reverberation and it feels like outer space. I imagine the sounds of the song being emitted from my body in outer space, ricocheting off celestial bodies and I try to grasp the spaciousness around this imaginary body in outer space. There is no clearly perceived event, but I feel so relaxed and have several waves of bliss ripple over my body and feel very intimate with my friend.

VIOLIN AT MUSICAL
I was at a musical and during one of the scores my attention locks onto a pattern of notes coming from a lonely violin. My eyes automatically close and the sounds of the violin is perceived with magnificent clarity, beauty and distinction. Waves of cool bliss ripple over my body for almost the full duration of the musical.

At the time I thought this was jhana and I even posted about it here.

----

These are a few of the A&P events that I've had recently. I don't know why it seems that I have them so often. They are seldom very grand or spectacular, but I can still vividly recall the sound of those two piano notes, the bird tweet and the violin.

What about you?