DhO Upgrade happening now! Stop posting until complete.

General

Dear All, The remarkable Manish is about to backup and upgrade Liferay to Liferay 7. This is the fundamental platform on which the DhO runs. As such, anything posted from about now (January 23, Saturday, at around noon Central Time) will likely be lost until the upgrade is complete. Thus, stop posting anything you wish to last now until this is done! Thanks! -Daniel, Owner of the DhO

Message Boards Message Boards

Insight and Wisdom

Dealing with physical suffering

Toggle
Dealing with physical suffering
Answer
12/18/20 8:34 AM
I'm trying to recover from a near-complete nervous breakdown.

When I awoke this morning I had mild anxious burning pains in my arms and a tense emotional knot in my stomach. I started by paying attention to the mild pain in my arms - really concentrating on it and feeling it flicker about. I was glad that it began to dissipate within about a minute.

I then set about the knot in my stomach gradually as the day progressed. I kept returning to the unpleasant sensations - really focussing on them and noticing them churn about. By lunchtime these too had essentially disappaeared! emoticon

I'm now just left with a subtle feeling of dis-ease/dukkha in my stomach....

Is this Vipassana?

RE: Dealing with physical suffering
Answer
12/19/20 11:41 PM as a reply to Robin Woods.
"Vipassana" means "clear seeing" or "special seeing", i.e., higher wisdom. 

Its only vipassana if you clearly see the cause & effect relationship of how equinimity of mind causes the dissipation of the stress. 

As for the dissipation of the stress itself, this is called "samatha" ("tranquility"). 

Kind regards & good work emoticon

RE: Dealing with physical suffering
Answer
12/22/20 5:11 AM as a reply to Robin Woods.
Robin Woods:
I'm trying to recover from a near-complete nervous breakdown.

When I awoke this morning I had mild anxious burning pains in my arms and a tense emotional knot in my stomach. I started by paying attention to the mild pain in my arms - really concentrating on it and feeling it flicker about. I was glad that it began to dissipate within about a minute.

I then set about the knot in my stomach gradually as the day progressed. I kept returning to the unpleasant sensations - really focussing on them and noticing them churn about. By lunchtime these too had essentially disappaeared! emoticon

I'm now just left with a subtle feeling of dis-ease/dukkha in my stomach....

Is this Vipassana?

hell yes, it's vipassana, and excellent practice to boot.

on the larger scale, I can imagine (as a veteran of multiple nervous breakdowns myself), that you're also simply feeling your way back into a relationship of trust with your body and mind and emotions: reopening, little by little, to the full experience of this incarnation, and now on terms that are somewhat up-for-grabs and yet to be discovered. Your working bodily self is a whole new country and you are exploring it. In a way, it's like you went through the bardos and took rebirth here, as this gestalt, and you're discovering what this gestalt is, body and mind, heart and soul. It's a very auspicious rebirth, lol: in a human body, and immersed in the dharma, and committed to grokking it. There have been turtles surfacing for uncounted ages, trying to hit a single ring in the ocean of samsara, to get you to this specific situation. So nice job; so far so good, lol.

God bless you, my friend.

Announcements Announcements