DhO Upgrade Thread

thumbnail
J W, modified 11 Days ago.

DhO Upgrade Thread

DhO patching to fix the following items is in progress.  Starting a new thread here so that our developer Manish can provide direct updates.

PS - the list of items was compiled from the other thread (https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/22747215
If you have any additional items please check that thread first and then post on the Issues To Fix - that way we can keep this thread focused to direct updates from the developers and any questions for them about progress on the current list of items.

The goal is to fix all of the below, Manish will update here if some may not be fixable:

1) Users do not always stay logged in

2) Messaging and Logo Portlet not downloaded/working

3) Email notifications of thread posts not being sent

4) Some Categories say they are temporarily unavailable

5) Theme needs to be changed back to tan, not blue.

6) Posts not always publish correctly

7) Option to toggle between tree view (current) and flat chronological view (previously). If toggle not possible, then revert to previous format (otherwise replies to older posts may not be seen)

8) Bring back Preview button in editor.

9) Bring back Save as Draft button in editor. This will enable people to avoid losing the whole post if the publish fails. Currently you can only save a draft after you've already published an initial version!

10) Investigation into post performance (and overall performance) - posts usually take many many seconds to publish, sometimes up to a minute (which might be a cause of lost posts?)

11) You used to be able to see the creator of a thread in the Recent Posts lists, which was helpful, while now it just shows the author of the last reply.

12) Editor no longer has an emojis button, nor does it have font and font size options.

13) Could we include "partial quote" option (if such exists)

14) A way to mark all threads as read   
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 11 Days ago.

RE: DhO Upgrade Thread

I edited JW's post in html to increase the font sizes.

- ​​​​​​​Chris
thumbnail

JW, I would argue for a priority designation on each change. The ones I mentioned in the other thread are the most important for moderation purposes:

1. Restore the messaging function - this will re-open the channel of communication between members and the moderators

2. Eliminate or dramatically increase the message posting limits for each topic

​​​​​​​3. Restore the choice between flat, tree, and combined views of each topic

10) Investigation into post performance (and overall performance) - posts usually take many many seconds to publish, sometimes up to a minute (which might be a cause of lost posts?)

The length of time it takes to post messages: this is likely not a programming/code issue but a database issue. I have asked that it be fixed in the past and Simon Ekstrand was always able to reindex, which fixed the problem for some time.
thumbnail

5) Theme needs to be changed back to tan, not blue.

​​​​The background color is a message board configuration setting called "Look & Feel". I changed it from stark white to light blue many months ago so that there would be some contrast on the message board pages. I just reset the background color to something that looks more like tan. There are only so many choices.
thumbnail

9) Bring back Save as Draft button in editor.

This has already been done - try it out and see for yourself. There now three choices available when posting;

- Publish
- Save as Draft
​​​​​​​- Cancel
thumbnail

Hey Chris, yes those three items are the highest priority, along with post performance.  Manish is aware of that, and I believe he is currently working on #3 but I'm not totally sure.

It would make sense that the performance is database related. If reindexing fixed it, it definitely is on the DB side.  We might look into setting up an automatic rebuild index task to help with that issue. 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 11 Days ago.

I have a suggestion:

Since there are a lot of issues, and it can take quite a while to fix them, I think it would be better to apply the fixes in a few iterations. I don't know how long it takes each time for the server to stop and start, but I guess it should not be long. And if we have fixes for some of the main issues currently or in the near future, why not apply them before working on the rest of the issues? I think users will appreciate it. Thanks.
​​​​​​​
(I should apologize to the community here, one reason that these issues are not fixed yet, is because I volunteered to fix them, and it was going well for a few days, but then my emotional situation and my problem with working became worse and worse, and I couldn't continue to work. I told Daniel that I'll work on them, but I failed, so Daniel had to create that thread about posting issues on UpWork. Sorry about that.) 
thumbnail

Siavash, you are far too hard on yourself. It's okay! You're okay! Everything is basically okay!

Yours,

- Chris
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 11 Days ago.

Thanks Chris.
thumbnail

Good idea Siavash.  Don't feel bad, I think this is all just part of what happens when we have a website that is volunteer based. I'm thankful that you put in some time to try to help fix this stuff and please stay tuned here in case Manish has some questions, you might have some insight based on the work you did.

By the way, I don't know how Daniel came into contact with Manish, but I don't think it was through UpWork. I initially signed on to help with compiling a list of items and posting that to UpWork, but to my knowledge that listing was never posted.
thumbnail
manish yadav, modified 4 Days ago.

Hi Waldo,

Liferay 2 days back released Liferay 7.4 GA2 version. After many failed attempts ,finally I have  upgraded DHO to Literary 7.4 version and seems its working fine with Liferay 7.4 GA2

URL : https://vmi240110.contaboserver.net/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/recent-posts

UserName/Password : dho/dho$3210

You may verify the message board  portlet whether it's similar to the old version or they have upgraded and have some fix of issues.

If its working fine we may take as base and will start fixing issues in Liferay 7.4 GA2

As server setup is ready and dho running on latest Liferay 7.4 so you may share Theme/design requirement . Liferay theme developer is available and he can start working parallely on theme development
​​​​​​​
Regards,
Manish Yadav
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Days ago.

Hi Manish,

I did a quick test on your Liferay 7.4 installation.
I didn't see any noticeable difference on viewing the posts and threads.

I added a few comments, this was the behavior for all of them:
First I got a timeout error, then there was this error:
"Error:There was an unexpected error. Please refresh the current page.", and after some seconds passed, it didn't add the comment, so I canceled editing, and the new comment was not added. But after refreshing the page, I saw that the comment is added at the end, and some seconds later I got the success popup for adding the comment. This is a problematic behavior for this function, but it can be because of different causes I guess.

The other issue I noticed was that the overflow button on the right corner of each post doesn't work. The button with 3 dots icon that opens "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" menu items. It doesn't display the menu.

Some profile images are not displayed correctly, when opening the profile image itself, it gets "The requested resource could not be found" error. I think the backup that you have, should include the images for these accounts.

Thanks.​​​​​​​ 
thumbnail
J W, modified 4 Days ago.

Hey Siavash - FYI I dont think Manish has gotten into fixing issues yet, first thing was to upgrade to Liferay 7.4 (which is probably good for other reasons), and then use that as the base which we will fix issues on.  We have a list of prioritized items (above) and I believe Messaging is already fixed but Manish will be working on those items first.  
Some of the items you listed above I think fall under 'Performance', which is one of the prioritized items. I have a feeling it may be one of the tougher ones though, so any thoughts you have on it appreciated.  I think the non posting/duplicate posting might be related to performance as well. 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Days ago.

Hi JW,

The issues that I posted above, do not exist in the current stable version that we have on Liferay 7.3. That means they are either because of Liferay 7.4 itself, or because of the process of porting DhO on Liferay 7.4. They are related to functionality, not performance : ) .
Though it's up to you and Manish to decide what to do. I just did a test and reported it back, feel free to ignore all of it. emoticon

Cheers.  
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Days ago.

Hey Siavash,  I have noticed the first issue (posts appearing to not post, but then appearing successfully after refreshing the page, sometimes being posted twice) on the current 7.3 version.  At least I think it's the same issue.

Re: missing profile pics, my guess is this is due to the DB copy that was made to install 7.4...

It's not up to me to decide what to do is it?? I hope not emoticon
​​​​​​​All I did was make a list based on all items from the other thread.

By the way thanks for all your help. If you are noticing some push back its because I just want to keep this thread uncluttered from additional items for now, let's let Manish have a shot at fixing the initial priority items first and then we can see where we are at emoticon ​​​​​​​

Breadcrumb