Has anyone trained with Daniel P.Brown?

Artem Zen, modified 2 Months ago.

Has anyone trained with Daniel P.Brown?

Has anyone trained with Daniel P. Brown in his pointing out the great way teachings? Have you taken any of his online retreats or seen significant progress working with him? 
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Months ago.

RE: Has anyone trained with Daniel P.Brown?

I'd love to, he's the real thing but cannot afford his high prices.

Yea the prices are high. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Months ago.

Yes, that's why it's out of the question for me. I have a hard time affording my rent nowadays. I haven't heard of any full scholarships either. A dharma friend will attend an upcoming retreat and it sounds truly awesome. I have looked into some of the free material on the website and bought his book on nonduality. I have only started reading the book, but already in the introduction I can tell that it's the kind of nuanced discussions that I need. I'm hoping that there will also be detailed phenomenology. It's very promising. 

For those who have the opportunity, financially and otherwise, to train with him, I'd say go for it now. His health is deteriorating so soon it might be too late. 

Sad to hear that his health is deteriorating. Seems like so many great meditation teachers get sick and die so early. Hope that won't be the case with him. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Months ago.

I haven't but my teacher Michael Taft has and he recommends him warmly. 
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 2 Months ago.

I have taken 2 POW retreats.  I found them to be life changing. 

Hmmmm...reallly? Please say more
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Months ago.

>Noah: I have taken 2 POW retreats.  I found them to be life changing. 

​​​​​​​
IIRC, Noah did those retreats when he was ( MCTB ) 3rd Path or above, so your eventual POW retreat experience wouldn't necessarily match his. Check this 2018 thread. Maybe Noah could explain a little more about the topic
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 2 Months ago.

Thanks Pepe!  I don't want to claim anything (I've tried to move away from that) but I have anecdotal evidence (from maybe 7 friends + myself, as well as counter examples) that if one has gone through the progress of insight at least 2 times then the POW retreats have a much more lasting effect than otherwise.  

I will defer to what I wrote previously in that thread that Pepe linked for more details as to what effect it had on me, as well as my journal entries from around that time, which are also linked in the thread.  
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Months ago.

Thanks Noah, good pointer! 

Added: description and schedule of retreats
Stephen, modified 2 Months ago.

I attended the Level 1 retreat in February. It was incredible instruction and attention to detail. A lot of time devoted to answering questions, which I find really lacking in other retreats I've attended. That allows the instructions to get really granular and individualized, if necessary. It was the best retreat experience I've had in my 10+ years of experience and it was over Zoom. I imagine in person would be even better, but they've worked out a good system for online retreat. They also provide an opportunity to work with a teacher 1-on-1 after and I've taken advantage of that and found it very helpful.

I'm pretty sure if anyone cannot afford the high fees they would provide a discounted rate. They don't advertise this option and I'm not sure why, perhaps because the retreats are always quite full and the funds are used to help out the lineage in Tibet. But if interested I wouldn't let the price discourage. 

I'll echo what Linda said. Dan's health has been getting worse as his vocal chords have atrophied due to Parkinson's. This year might be the last he's able to give the retreats. 
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Months ago.

Sorry for the late notice but Dan is having a big 2 hour event tonight called Living Meditation. The first hour is questions and teachings and the second hour is all meditation. I am a member so it woulld be free but there is some screup with my membership so I paid the well-worth $15

A quick reminder that Dan will be teaching Living Meditation tomorrow, Wednesday, August 11, at 7:30pm ET.

Click Here to Register for Living Meditation on August 11

POGW Website Members: Please carefully follow the instructions on the registration page to register for the Wednesday night classes for free.

If you cannot attend the class live but would like to receive a link to the (unedited) recording you must pre-register.

Dan refers to this as 'meditation improv' in that there is no set agenda for the evening. The first hour is spent on questions, comments, and discussion about meditation practice and spirituality in everyday life, informed by Eastern and Western philosophy. The second hour is then a guided meditation based on the discussion.

This ongoing class and practice community offers the opportunity to explore the path and meditations to understand and awaken to the True Nature of the Mind. This realization frees awareness from obstruction and reactivity and allows awareness to be natural, unbounded and free. This freedom allows for the flowering of the positive qualities of mind and behavior that lead to a life of joyful service in the world - living meditation.

It has been our experience that the transformation to living meditation does not take time, just sincere practice and motivation. We welcome you to come journey with us.

Breadcrumb