RE: Stefan's Log #3: Mara Delenda Est Stefan Stefan 12/8/21 8:36 PM
RE: Stefan's Log #3: Mara Delenda Est Papa Che Dusko 12/9/21 12:51 AM
RE: Stefan's Log #3: Mara Delenda Est Stefan Stefan 12/9/21 5:25 AM
RE: Stefan's Log #3: Mara Delenda Est Papa Che Dusko 12/9/21 1:08 PM
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 7:02 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 3:52 AM

Stefan's Log #3: Mara Delenda Est

Welcome, my friends, to the third log of the journey. 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 4:10 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 4:10 AM

RE: Stefan's Log #3: Mara Delenda Est

Today's sit revealed some interesting tidbits. 
  • Restlessness really dialled up. Just hurrying but to nowhere in particular. Like a plane trying to find a tarmac on a really foggy night. What's the destination here, hm?
  • Self-referentiality, the illusion of self really presenting itself on subtler and deeper levels. A spontaneous image arose of a line drawing itself, and trying to draw a circle around itself. Impossible -- seems like an appropriate metaphor for what's going on here. So many ideas of what "me" is supposed to me, either in tangible terms (this body, this sense, that sense) or as an idea (abstraction)
  • Subtle bits of dullness showing themselves again, but from a deeper level than before, I'm sure of that. 
  • Lots of thoughts about what "I" am, but more like the concept, me the meditator, me the person sitting here, me the thought having a thought about a thought, etc... Just the line trying to circle itself. 
Today I felt such a great sense of ease, peace, and just joy. Everything coming and going. Still, some slightly weird perceptual stuff, like everything was sinking into itself for about 1 minute, but it passed. 

My mind is on turbo right now too, it's just spotting this subtle identification stuff so quickly, at least that how it seems. Surely stuff is getting past it, but I'm sure in time all the stuff will synchronise with itself eventually, with good quality consistent work over time emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 9:37 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 9:37 AM

"   I'm sure ...   "

Im not sure of anything anymore emoticon Good luck with your newly started log-journey. May it be of benefit to many!
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 6:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 6:41 PM

Papa Che Dusko "   I'm sure ...   " Im not sure of anything anymore emoticon Good luck with your newly started log-journey. May it be of benefit to many!

Are you sure of this? emoticon

Thank you, I've read a lot of your logs and they've definitely helped me. Be well, my friend.
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 5:36 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 5:36 AM

I'm churning out logs because stuff is coming so quick and fast, the whole thing is really presenting itself really quickly at me. 

Two themes today
1. The seeming distinctness between each of the senses
  • ​​​​​​​Took a while, but those illusory barriers came down
  • It was a matter of just letting each sense in, like a sponge absorbing water, fully soaked through. Complete saturation. Where did the sound end, the thought start, the feeling begins, etc..? No way to tell. Woosh, gone. I just burst out laughing, it was such a big piece of tension lurking there that I had never really realised!
  • Sensations intermingle, criss-cross, and are fluxing textures, there's no distinctness to each one, no barrier from one to the other

2. The desire to merge with the essences or ideas or abstractions of things
  • The seeking is one idea, the sought is another
  • But they are distinct, they will never, could never touch
  • They get pretty close though! Good try! Everyone wants to "be" "happy", but it overshadows the experience itself
  • Not sure if this one is gone, but when I saw it, I laughed so hard when it felt like it "dropped". I laughed really hard when I saw this, it was such a relief!
  • It was so nice to understand this very niggly subtle thing -- so good!
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/18/21 7:55 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/18/21 7:55 PM

Goldilocks Syndrome
​​​​​​​
  • This sensation feels right = rest here
  • This sensation feels wrong = subtly avoid 
  • This sensation feels manageable, it is liked
  • This sensation feels unmanageable, it is avoided
Now you combine them, and you see what a deadly duo conceit and restlessness are. Restlessness wants things to be right or wrong to find a restful place. We only become restless in anticipation of something at the end of it all -- like when you really need to go to the toilet and you get all jittery and do the "toilet dance" to keep it in. The mind is just nonstop doing the toilet dance as it waits for it. In another way, this sid wants to find rest in an imagined "that side". 

Conceit wants things to be manageable. Am I good enough to deal with this experience? Is this experience worthy of some co-occurring idea of me? Or in another way, how I feel it; "Do I feel taller than this sensation?" if yes, nice, good, it's liked. If no, then subtly avoid.

​​​​​​​There's a ghost in the machine!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 12:29 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 12:29 AM

Have you tried Tonglen? Could be a good tool in this situation to soften the "this is happening to me" sense and broaden it to "all beings". I like shargrol's take on Tonglen. Tell me if you are interested so to paste it here.

All the best S
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 4:21 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 4:21 AM

I dabble with Tonglen, I do it "off-campus" -- so to speak -- when I'm out and about. I like the instructions given by Chogyam Trungpa in "Training the Mind". My absolute favourite of the mantras or teachings is "drive all blames into one", meaning that all faults and misunderstandings we have about reality are caused by our own ignorance. There is absolutely nothing else to do. 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 7:49 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 7:48 PM

• Try to stop trying
  • What are your thoughts of a mind free from thought?
  • Where do you start when trying to realise the mind without a reference point?
  • Try to rise above rising above
  • Try to do nothing
  • Try to surrender
  • Let go of letting go
  • Attempt to control the impulse to control
  • Try to observe the observation 
  • Try desiring to end all desires
  • Try clinging to non-clinging
  • Try avoiding avoidance 
  • Try ignoring your ignorance

The illusion is empty or solid; impermanent or permanent; satisfying or unsatisfying.

It is not an illusion.

It is neither permanent nor impermanent. It is neither empty nor solid. It is neither satisfying nor unsatisfying.

I understand it; neither born nor dead. Beyond birth or death. Never born, undying. The Dhamma. Tao. Zen. Nibbana. Whatever you wanna call it.

Just there. Peace.
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 9:15 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/19/21 9:13 PM

I had a strong glimpse of it on the toilet about an hour ago. And just now the sides seemed to flip over as I was walking down the stairs and looking at the garden. I just burst out laughing. 

Everything is just simple, there, with no disagreements about how it should or shouldn't be. Another way to think of it is like every part taking responsibility for being "here" or "there". One infinitely regressing side, into itself from within itself.

Like how the shading on a 2D drawing makes it appear 3D. Put your finger on the shading and the illusion is gone. Now get an eraser... Maybe my finger is on it, and it seems erased. Let's see how long it lasts emoticon
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 7:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 7:10 PM

After about a day and a half of having a strong and stable glimpse of it all, I woke up and there were little mental itches and tangles.

Working on a few things:
  • Trying to be too good for arrogance
  • Trying to be too pathetic for insecurity
  • What's the trying? There's no trying. But I'm gonna indulge this more and more to really see how it goes. Really get caught up in the silliness and messiness of it all. 
  • These little tricks are about noticing the mind trying to feel better than or worse than. The truth is usually paradoxically, and unflatteringly, right in the middle (but beyond both).
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/22/21 1:12 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/22/21 1:12 PM

I will pop some pop-corn now emoticon I find you latest loggings to be rather interesting! ... (popping popcorn ... staring at the screen ... ) 

Best wishes mate! emoticon (break a leg) emoticon 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 7:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 7:20 AM

Hvala Dusko emoticon

Averaging about 6-7 hours per day last week (hooray no uni or work obligations!)

Honestly, just vibing. Kinda seeing the entire charade for what it is. Some childhood trauma stuff surfaced and I had some deeply purifying sits. And the rest was mostly just doing the thing over and over. I dunno, spirituality has lost a lot of its appeal to me, especially talking about it. I think working on concentration now makes a lot of sense, as that's the more practical application of the whole thing -- developing your power after insight. Okay, I have a good idea of how all the pieces fit together, time to navigate the whole thing!

I'm finally learning how to navigate concentration and what it is. The magic in intentions is very real! The magic of awareness is very real. There's no picking out an object and following it. It's more like this: "attention" probably shares etymology with "attend". Attend, definition: "to be present for". We're simply being present for sensations as they arise. "Me" becomes present to the sensation and vice versa (there's no real distinction other than the felt sense of duality), so the attending becomes sweeter and sweeter. In the past, I was thinking concentration is about blocking out the distractions and just grinding up on the object. But no, the more open we are to distraction, the less possible they are. Once we are fully open, distractions are impossible -- how can one be wilfully distracted? Now I see it very clearly, the immediacy of each sensation clearly. Emptiness and non-duality do really facilitate the whole thing. Impermanence too, in the fleetingness of the sense of attention itself, the sense of the sensation. Suffering too, in the unsatisfactory nature of trying to make a "good" or a "bad" out of the process. Or maybe I'm getting it wrong, I don't know -- it's a current working hypothesis nonetheless. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 12:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 12:56 PM

"Hvala "

Ha! emoticon Another Balkans boy on DhO?
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 3:02 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 3:02 AM

Ima nas svugdje ;-)

​​​​​​​Why am I feeling so cynical about everything now? Where's this come from? Hmm
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 7:49 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 7:48 AM

Neka ima druze Stefane emoticon neka si ti meni ziv i zdrav! Da si mi ti ovdje sad bi ja pred tebe i kafu i rakiju, i cvaraka, i pite krompiruse emoticon
That cynical feel you can wrap into Tonglen and see what comes on the other side emoticon

​​​​​​​Best wishes! 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 10/15/21 9:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/15/21 9:21 PM

The cynicism was great, actually. A lot was learned. I think it's a symptom of maturing out of the strictures of a spiritual path, as such, and moving towards more and more profound deeper, and yet subtler liberation. The cynicism presented itself as an abandonment of lofty ideals, abandonment of hope for a better future other than the one being built now. Abandonment of something tangibly central realising emptiness other than the emptiness itself. Abandonment of a finishing point. Abandonment of a structure to frame experience at all. 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th fetters. Mara, I see you.

Spirituality can be a real dead end in itself. 

There's no way but the middle way -- which was already happening. 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 1:50 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 1:50 AM

After a near-death experience and absolutely no suffering arising in conjunction with events before, during or after, I'm very confident in how this path has unfolded. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 2:28 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 2:28 AM

Glad you made it! Best wishes S!
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/6/21 11:59 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/6/21 11:59 PM

Sitting in the past 8-10 weeks have been a breeze. I've cut back on the time drastically. 

I can simply call up goodwill and it's there -- I then simply direct it to now. And let it go. Nothing else is required. 

Cessations no longer interest me. They're not what this is about. Jhanas are no longer fascinating. There is something far more mundane, yet so obvious about the path that gets lost so easily. And nobody seems to talk about it. We move away from dissatisfaction and into satisfaction with every moment. 

We learn impermanence -- everything changes, everything can change, including how we relate to situations. We learn emptiness -- we are not the sensations we're experiencing, we are but a kaleidoscope of sensations all in flux. Combine these together and you have a powerful set of insights with which to drastically re-condition the mind to be deeply satisfied with the present moment whatever it is. Now, with unwholesomeness gone, we replace it with deeply wholesome activity, metta, goodwill, compassion, generosity, love, zest, friendship, easygoingness, determination, and create a noble mind.

That is all. I really have nothing more to say. That is the path, that's all we have.
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 12:43 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 12:43 PM

"There is something far more mundane, yet so obvious about the path that gets lost so easily. And nobody seems to talk about it."

Pardon me, hope this isn't in bad taste, I just had the funny association here.

"Top 10 obvious facts about the path that get lost so easily: NO ONE is talking about #7"

Pardon my terrible humor emoticon Just been returning to the DHO and found your logs which have been fascinating to read through. Interesting to see how people's experiences along the path differ and how they write about them. All the best and happy trails!
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 3:08 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 3:08 PM

True and accurate.

Now I can teach you this one simple trick that Buddhists and prag dharma people hate. Just click the link.

But for real, let's not just aim for insight -- let's use them. Let's get wholesome. Prag dharma is so obsessed with staring at the microscope without doing anything about it. Let's get alchemical with the insights, and turn lead into gold!

Glad you've enjoyed the logs
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 3:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 3:10 PM

Ahaha nice emoticon

"But for real, let's not just aim for insight -- let's use them. Let's get wholesome."

​​​​​​​I'm down. What did ya have in mind?
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 3:28 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 3:28 PM

"Prag dharma is so obsessed with staring at the microscope without doing anything about it. Let's get alchemical with the insights, and turn lead into gold!"

Also, on a still jestful yet more curious and inquisitive note- as a prag dharma entity, my bad and apologies! What does "doing something about it" look like in practice? Many people around these parts do the work and get the insight and focus on that here, yet go on with increased passion and motivation to be a positive influence in the world, which often doesn't get talked about, probably because these communities and the discussions are focused on simply doing the work to gain insight and such. I myself teach music, dedicate a lot of time to just trying to do good in my community, making the lives of others better, making intentions to live more kindly and be a better friend and family member, etc... many go on to patiently try to spread their insights and make what is often is susceptible to gatekeeping and secrecy, a public and accessible affair. This sort of effort is what allowed me to get in the game and make progress and I feel a lot of gratitude for those who put in the time to make things more visible and pull them out of the darkness of secrecy and inaccessibility. Maybe that isn't the kind of thing you're getting at, and I'm genuinely curious to know what in particular you mean in this claim.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:28 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:28 PM

Let's be wholesome! 

Today got hugely annoyed with my eldest son and we got rather upset with one another. He is soon to be 6 and is just trying to do the opposite to what I ask of him. In this case we were dressing up to leave to the kindergarten. 

Later on had a huge verbal fight with my partner. We both seem unhappy with one another for some time now. 

I mean we can go on and on about how awakening will fix things emoticon emoticon 

We are way too invested in our own familie! It just triggers so easily all sorts of reactions. 

I could imagine myself as a single lad just being totally zen at work, or with my neighbours, other folks, in life or internet, spreading the 4 immeasurable so to speak emoticon 
Im not much invested in all those folks "out there". 

But in the dynamic family environment things seems to show where metal meets meat! 

Fuck wholesomeness! It's yet another impermanent experience! emoticon emoticon 

p.s. don't take me seriously. I don't. Unless in the family environment. 

​​​​​​​Wholesomness ... ness ... ness ... ness-ness ... 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:34 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:34 PM

Sure, that's great. You're helping. That sounds good. Can you turn that good work into more practice? 

Get wholesome = practising the Brahma Viharas in our meditation. What I'm talking more about is the general emphasis on generating insight and the lack of talk about using that insight. The emphasis is just seeing no-self like that'll solve problems. It doesn't change a lot unless it gets used. You can learn a lot about a lot of things, but if you don't apply it, what was it good for?

Like, okay, now you see that you're a victim of Samsara. You're suffering a lot because of how the mind thirsts for conditions. What are you gonna do about it? How are you going to turn Samsara into Nirvana? Samsara is not some spooky god-like metaphysical entity, it is the conditions of our circumstances if we let it be; the 12 links of dependent origination tell us how we stay strapped into Samsara unknowingly. The 12 links of transcendent origination tells us how we learn to escape Samsara and turn it into liberation, joy, compassion, generosity, and wisdom.  

Make of this what you will
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:56 PM

"Like, okay, now you see that you're a victim of Samsara. You're suffering a lot because of how the mind thirsts for conditions."
"Samsara is not some spooky god-like metaphysical entity, it is the conditions of our circumstances if we let it be; the 12 links of dependent origination tell us how we stay strapped into Samsara unknowingly. The 12 links of transcendent origination tells us how we learn to escape Samsara and turn it into liberation, joy, compassion, generosity, and wisdom. "

I agree with the source material, no qualms here.

"Can you turn that good work into more practice? 
Get wholesome = practising the Brahma Viharas in our meditation"

But hey, I do that stuff! Sometimes in jhana, but in general, just striving to live in that way and aspire to those qualities. Others in prag dharma and outside of it practice in that way, and even people who aren't into meditation at all often work to cultivate those qualities even if they aren't familiar with the source material. They aren't exclusive to dharma, prag-dharma, or meditators. That's just the stuff life is made of. 

Again, I'm not trying to be dismissive, just actually curious to get to the heart of what your critique and call to do something about it mean. People are doing this stuff you mention, in the prag-dharm community and outside of it, on and off the cushion.
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:02 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:02 PM

"I mean we can go on and on about how awakening will fix things emoticon emoticon "

Agree, definitely always a danger of spiritual bypassing. A quote that comes to mind in light of how attainments might fall short of expectations of what changes-
"What did you expect, pumpkin juice?" emoticon

"Today got hugely annoyed with my eldest son and we got rather upset with one another. He is soon to be 6 and is just trying to do the opposite to what I ask of him. In this case we were dressing up to leave to the kindergarten. "

I propose a 5th immeasurable- the patience of those endowed with the stewardship of our beloved young emoticon
You sound like a good parent, and I do wish you and your whole family well! I'm not a parent, but I certainly have my karma coming for me in terms of the grief I may have caused my parents. Certainly didn't stop when I grew up, or at the point of my super-illustrious and grandiose attainments... still waiting for that attainment to materialize... hah.
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:10 PM

in prag dharma we don't have the same emphasis on developing wholesomeness and that is to the detriment of the rest of the teachings, it's really something endemic to the entire Vissdhimagga lineage. Not that I dislike the detailed phenomenology stuff. It is a means to an end is all I am saying, not an end in itself. 

But hey, I do that stuff!

Great, keep doing it. 
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:21 PM

"in prag dharma we don't have the same emphasis on developing wholesomeness"
I am a piece of the prag dharma pie, and I say we do! emoticon

"Great, keep doing it. "
Thank you for the encouraging admonishment, I certainly will, as many of "us" are emoticon
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 7:35 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 7:35 AM

Life with kids = samsara on steroids ><
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 1:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 1:21 PM

Wonder what would Buddha do in case he had kids? Hm ... ? Lemme see ... 

emoticon Like, Run Forest Run!!! emoticon 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 4:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 4:56 PM

Sorry to hear Dusko, I hope you find a way to bring happiness back into the situation
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 5:03 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 4:58 PM

Yeah start a cult and get the groupies to take care of your family. Easy street emoticon 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 8:36 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/8/21 8:36 PM

I think that "meditation" is very complicated. 
We can learn to simply be in love with the present moment without exception. We can achieve this via breathing. And then everything melts away. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 12:51 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 12:51 AM

'Look how it's ...' is a very good practice technique. Need not to be treated as a "technique" but rather as curious inquiry. 

Look how it's very certain. Look how it thinks it cracked the code. Look how it thinks it's without expectations. Look how it's ... etc 

Best wishes S! 

Excuse my rambling if it's out of place! emoticon 
thumbnail
Stefan Stefan, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 5:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 5:09 AM

Keep lookin' and then start lovin'

Your choice!

Certainty and confidence come only from diligent practice, which isn't just inquiry. Investigation is only 1 of 7 factors of awakening. If all you do is investigate, you're only going to know the problem, which is part of the battle. There is more to do (mindfulness, energy, joy, tranquility, concentration, equanimity) We're aiming for comprehensive destruction of suffering. Not just inspecting. Not just relaxing. Not just getting happy. Not just being in the present moment. Not just having careful attention, and not just remembering to do what is meant to be done.

Make of that what you will. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 1:08 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 1:08 PM

Ok boss emoticon 

Breadcrumb