Looking for Jhana/Samatha/Concentration Teacher

Alex, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 2:01 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 2:01 AM

Looking for Jhana/Samatha/Concentration Teacher

Hi,

I am looking for a meditation teacher who wants to teach Jhanas/Samatha/Concentration over Zoom.

The teacher should have mastery of the Jhanas, practice them daily and have a practical approach to teaching them. It does not have to be an "official teacher", just someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

I would also be greatful for reading suggestions on the topic. So far I have read:

- MCTB
- Focused and Fearless
- Wisdom Wide and Deep
- Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond
- Path of Serenity and Insight
- Right Concentration
- Practicing the Jhanas
- The Mind Illuminated
- Meditation ohne Geheimnisse (Ayya Khema)
- Beyond Mindfulness in plain English

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,

Alex
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 5:47 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 3:54 PM

RE: Looking for Jhana/Samatha/Concentration Teacher

You can contact Dhammarato through this link:
https://opensanghacollective.org/teachers/dhammarato/
Dhammarato is a lineaged teacher who studied under Bhikku Buddhadasa and Achan Pho at Wat Suan Mokh in Southen Thailand as a Bhikkhu for 20 or so years. He is now a tirelessly joyful lay teacher in that tradition. His preferred method of teaching is offering instruction via Skype, and providing select, recorded lessons on his youtube channel as well. However, he is happy to have you come stay on his porch in Southern Thailand and learn Dhamma with him in person too.

In conversation with Dhammarato it becomes clear that happiness is a skill that can be learned and practiced.

Dhammarato does not accept financial donations but asks that we practice generosity by supporting Open Sangha Collective so we can support students and teachers access and share a Dharma with out barriers.

Watch the below video for a reminder from Dhammarato on how our practice can help us approach illness and death.
His youtube channel is here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DhammaratoDhamma/videos
thumbnail
Zero, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 10:03 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 10:02 PM

Santtu: https://collaborativedharma.com/santtu/
or Adivader on Reddit may be of assistance: https://www.reddit.com/user/adivader/
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 12/10/21 4:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/10/21 4:38 AM

Alex
I am looking for a meditation teacher who wants to teach Jhanas/Samatha/Concentration over Zoom.

Wants to teach? be warry of anyone who "wants" to teach
The teacher should have mastery of the Jhanas

What jhanas are you trying to master? all 8? So you require a teacher to have all 8 or just the ability to get you past where ever you are stuck?
practice them daily

Seriously? you require this in a teacher? Daily? do you even know what you are asking about? Perhaps you could define YOUR goal a bit better.
 and have a practical approach to teaching them.

This is a good question but poorly phrased. Perhaps you want a teacher who has a track record of successfully accomplishing whatever your goals might be.
It does not have to be an "official teacher", just someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

Nicely put, that opens the door for me to maybe spend my time with you and you can judge my officiousness and whether I know anything.
Interested? say yes or no and I'll post again.
~D
T DC, modified 2 Years ago at 12/10/21 12:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/10/21 12:20 PM

Dream Walker
Alex

Wants to teach? be warry of anyone who "wants" to teach

People who want to teach:  Experienced meditators who would like to give back and help other people be successful.  Also DW apparently?

Not an attack, just some light ribbing.  ;)  I agree with what I think is your premise, that along with the desire to teach can also come a certain (natural if unhealthy) desire to have the pupil conform to your specific beliefs. 

​​​​​​​Actually something I've wrestled with a bit myself.  Ultimately I think that unless you're teaching something largely neutral and divorced from personal experience, such as math, some degree of personal bias is inevitable.  The real test is being willing to let go of expectations for what your students do with the knowledge and information you impart.
Adi Vader, modified 2 Years ago at 12/12/21 8:45 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/12/21 8:45 PM

Teaching I feel is like co-creating a robust practice with and for the student.

But with someone inexperienced it has to take on the flavor of ... 'please just do this, because I know it works'.
I think the bias is regarding the conceptual framing and associated language. I think it inevitable.

Breadcrumb