Intermediate to advanced writings?

thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 2 Years ago at 12/14/21 11:32 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/14/21 11:18 PM

Intermediate to advanced writings?

I am looking for written resources on meditation and Buddhist practice available on the internet for the intermediate to advanced student.

I recently read Budhadasa's book on anapanasati and I thought it was very good (I like his vibe, his view of the dharma, etc, although I don't practice exactly as he describes) but I would like to read something more advanced (if there is more to the practice).

To put my situation in terms of Buddhadsa's book, I understand the part about preparing the mind to do work, what I am looking for is what to do next. What does one do with a prepared mind? (I have my own opinions, what I am looking for is what various teachers have to say on the subject).

(I am aware of MTCB2's chapter on "revised 4 path model" which I like, and I've taken the unified mindfulness free online course and I have Shinzen's 5 ways book and I had SoE out from the library a couple of times. I am aware of the existence TMI, haven't read it and don't know what level it is at.)

I am interested primarily in written material available on the internet because I can sort through it most easily, but if anyone wants to share intermediate to advanced teachings in other formats I don't mind. If people want to post their own suggestions on practices, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance.
shargrol, modified 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 7:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 7:28 AM

RE: Intermediate to advanced writings?

The most advanced writings are also the most basic... with a prepared mind you:
Cultivate jhanas
Notice and let go of subtle greed, aversion, and ignorance
Sit without manipulation and notice and let go of subtle restlessness

If you are looking for lots of more specific intermediate practices, then Ken McLeod's "Wake Up To Your Life" is very good and appropriate. It is the curriculum of a traditional tibetian three year retreat, described in mostly jargon-free english.

​​​​​​​Hope this helps!
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 7:57 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 7:57 AM

I agree with Shargrol, but if you want to see what ADVANCED looks like then check out Knowing and Seeing by Pau Auk Sayadaw:

https://sites.google.com/pamc.org.sg/ebookpaauksayadaw
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 8:46 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 8:46 AM

Have you checked Tarthang Tulku - Knowledge of Time and Space ?

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 12/17/21 6:35 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/17/21 6:35 AM

Jim Smith
I am looking for written resources on meditation and Buddhist practice available on the internet for the intermediate to advanced student.
I am interested primarily in written material available on the internet because I can sort through it most easily, but if anyone wants to share intermediate to advanced teachings in other formats I don't mind. If people want to post their own suggestions on practices, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance.
'Seeing That Frees'  by Rob Burbea

Here is my crap-

https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/5800908

good Luck,
~D
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 6:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 6:39 AM

A big thank you for this thread.  I'd ignored WUTYL so far as it sounded like new agey BS but i've obtained a copy and in the first couple of chapters he says all the right things (Oh! the arrogance of the ignorant such as myself: how can I even know?) and that pdf  by pau auk sayadaw looks interesting. Will get round to the rest in time...
​​​​​​​

Breadcrumb