MRI study of meditation at Vanderbilt: experienced participants wanted!

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 1/12/22 2:38 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/12/22 2:38 PM

MRI study of meditation at Vanderbilt: experienced participants wanted!

This from my friend Dave Vago, long-time meditation neuroscientist and practitioner:

Dear friends and colleagues,
Joyous New Year!
I am writing today to ask for your help. I am involved in an exciting research study at Vanderbilt University Medical Center that is studying the effects of concentration meditation on glymphatic flow in the brain. This is THE most exciting study I have been involved in and will be sure to have a great impact on the field of contemplative science, meditation research, and neuropsychiatry. Glymphatic flow is an indirect measure of inflammation and the efficiency of the brain to eliminate waste. Decreased flow has been associated with many chronic neurodegenerative diseases. Sleep has been found to increase such flow and if meditation proves to do so similarly, it will be prescribed by all neurologists as a first-line treatment for diseases such as MS, Parkinson’s disease, head trauma, and Alzheimer’s.

We are seeking practitioners who are more advanced in their training to come to Vanderbilt for a 1-hr scan in the MRI where we will measure structure and function. If you or your students/teachers may be interested, we can discuss how to facilitate the trip to Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN.

A more detailed description of the study is linked above and attached along with a flyer.

We are seeking advanced yogi/meditators from across traditions
• If you are age 18-45 years, healthy, and frequently practice concentration meditation then you may qualify
• Participants are required to complete two magnetic resonance imaging
(MRI) scans: one during sleep and one during concentration meditation
• Participants will be compensated up to $250

If interested contact maria garza @maria.e.garza@vumc.org or
David.vago@vanderbilt.edu . Please also fill out our meditation experiences
survey: https://redcap.link/meditate
​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Brandon Dayton, modified 2 Years ago at 1/12/22 9:13 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/12/22 9:09 PM

RE: MRI study of meditation at Vanderbilt: experienced participants wanted!

From the eligibility criteria:

Study Population
Population is a healthy group of "adept meditators" (based on minimum meditation lifetime experience of >1000 hours and a self reported proficiency score of >3 out of 5)

​​​​​​​You don't have to be an arahant to qualify.
thumbnail
This very moment, modified 2 Years ago at 1/13/22 7:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/13/22 7:29 PM

I don't live too far, but they don't want old fogies like me ( 53).  HA.  
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 2 Years ago at 1/19/22 12:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/19/22 12:17 PM

Damn. If it wasn't so far. This seems like a lot of fun. Perhaps someday it will be possible to partner with other research center to do this kind of studies.

Breadcrumb