Pragmatically oriented teachers in ex Yugoslavia

thumbnail
Griffin, modified 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 1:04 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 1:04 PM

Pragmatically oriented teachers in ex Yugoslavia

Do you know of any good meditation teachers in Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia or Montenegro? Does anybody have experience with Hokai Sobol from Croatia?
thumbnail
Branko N, modified 1 Year ago at 10/6/22 11:54 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/6/22 11:54 AM

RE: Pragmatically oriented teachers in ex Yugoslavia

Don't know anything about Hokai Sobol, never heard of it. I've had experience with Žarko Andričević Chan teacher from Zagreb Croatia (https://chan.hr/). He is very skillful and open. He teaches silent illumination in the chan tradition of Ven. Sheng Yen.
Here where I live in Serbia we have a great Theravada community Middle way (https://srednjiput.rs/). There is a monastery near Novi Sad. That monastery is affiliated with Oxford buddha vihara. Every summer there are usually 7 days retreats held in June, Jule, and August. Ven. Khammai Dhammasami held a couple of retreats in Serbia, and many others. You can check the schedule on the web or come and visit the monastery.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 10/6/22 12:21 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/6/22 11:58 AM

Griffin, if shargrol doesn't reply to this topic soon you should PM him. Hokai was his mentor for a while, so he can provide some info for you.
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 10/6/22 4:59 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/6/22 4:54 PM

https://hokaisobol.com

Hokai is solid. He's not classically "pragmatic" like Ken Folk, but is very much pragmatically oriented. He expects mature students who are already self-motivated, so he's not a "beginner" teacher. I would say that if you are already motivated to practice daily and go on retreats, but feel plateaued or in a blindspot, then he's the kind of teacher you want. 

Not sure if you have any specific questions about him, but I'll try to answer if you ask. 

He tends to have a long wait list, so if there is any interest in working with him I would recommend reaching out as soon as possible. As a heads up: he doesn't just agree to be a teacher, he interviews student to ensure that there is a good match and that the teaching relationship is likely to be beneficial.
thumbnail
Griffin, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 1:48 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 1:48 PM

Thanks everybody emoticon

Shargrol, I wanted to ask whether he only teaches practices specific to vajrayana (visualisations of deities etc.) or he also teaches old school tech (anapanasati etc.) if a students wants to follow that kind of path?
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 5:40 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 5:38 PM

I guess I should say that I worked with him from Spring 2013 through Fall 2014. So my experience is already quite dated...

Hokai's teaching method (for remote students) is very similar to the techniques in Wake Up To Your Life. I get the sense that his friendship/conversations with Ken McLeod gave him new frameworks for teaching the stuff he had originally learned through Shingon. In general, for practice there was a foundation of open-awareness(-ish) sitting, using various techniques/frameworks as support, combined with gentle inquiry when very centered (~45 mins into an hour sit). One thing I really got from Hokai was the power of having structure to a sit, but also keeping it very open for breakthroughs to occur. Sometimes "just sitting" or "just paying attention to the breath" hits a plateau and a little bit of investigation/uncovering is helpful.

He mentioned to me that he only teaches vajrayana in person, but I don't know if that is still true. 

He was truly interested in my practice and my moving beyond my current limits. I had full confidence that he had what I wanted, so working with him gave me a lot of confidence/motivation. I had the sense that he truly was focused on the whole of me and he really provided perfect guidance. Again, I'll say that I was a very dedicated meditator, daily practice and several retreats a year, and his teaching matched where I was at. I have the sense that someone who has "insight disease" will do well with Hokai. If that is you, I would highly highly highly recommend him as a teacher. I suspect, but don't know, that someone who lacked motivation or discipline wouldn't "match" Hokai that well.

​​​​​​​Hope this helps!

Breadcrumb