Noting in Daily life in the EQ nana?

George Melon, modified 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 2:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 2:57 AM

Noting in Daily life in the EQ nana?

When I get up from EQ sits, I don't feel especially mindful, there's a little bit of awarenss of thoughts mixed with more of being embedded in them, but also a nice sense of flow and ease. Do others find it difficult to maintain open mindfulness in daily activities when in the EQ nana?

Also, the minutes after arising, my eyes tend to have this spacing/zoning out effect yet there is awareness of it. I mainly do 2nd gear (self inquiry) and third gear (pure surrender) in EQ. Anyone else have this experience?

Do y'all do noting moving through daily life to keep momentum when in the EQ nana, or just let things flow a bit more and not worry so much?
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 5:26 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 5:26 AM

RE: Noting in Daily life in the EQ nana?

The secret is to make sure you are intimate with the >sensations< of daily life. How your body feels, how walking on the floor feels, how typing feels, how your clothes feel on your body. Sensations are always in the present moment and are rarely distracting/confusing. Stay with the direct, clear, intimate, experience of sensations.

Your ego might not like it, it might want to "think about things". It's actually a healthy challenge to focus mostly on sensations.

Think of yourself as a craftsman that needs to feel the grain of the wood being carved. The grain can change inside a piece of wood, so it isn't a matter of looking at it or thinking about it... it is a matter of feeling the slightest movement of the chisel that signals "the grain has changed and if you keep going the wood will split". In the same way, feel all the sensations of daily life and try to sense "is this movement/behavior peaceful and joyful in the body? how do I need to adjust to be relaxed and intimate with what I'm doing?" Do this at the level of body/sensations, not by thinking about it. 

Basically it's like being on the walking and yogi-job part of being on retreat. Keep it simple, pay attention, enjoy being mindful of what you are doing, become intimate with the experience of doing what you are doing.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 11:07 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 11:07 PM

Noting during the day is good because it will help you get into eq more consistently in formal practice . And it will also help you go higher into eq.

there's a few approaches that can work .

-if your in low eq, noting relaxing or pleasing things will help avoid back slide to reobs
- if your dull in mid eq, regular persistent noting will help keep things going & not back slide .
-if your in high eq, try following your intuition. Magick & prayer can be just as good to make it across 
George Melon, modified 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 1:14 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 1:14 AM

Thanks Noah and shargrol, helpful insights. Noting helps me to stay with experience rather than the thought stories. I shall continue and try to find more relaxation and ease with it. 
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 5:27 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 5:27 AM

Sounds good. 

And remember, you don't need to fight or get rid of those thought stories --- you can note those too. emoticon  Noting thoughts as thoughts is a very EQ kind of thing to do.

Breadcrumb