RE: Another thread on planning for Stream on a Goenka 10-day

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 5:40 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 5:40 AM

Regarding craving vs striving, there are some suttas (131-134) in the MN that contain a poem called "One Fortunate Attachment", reproduced here off of Access to Insight based on Ñanamoli's translation:

"Let one not trace back the past
Or yearn for the future-yet-to-come.
That which is past is left behind
Unattained is the "yet-to-come."
But that which is present he discerns —
With insight as and when it comes.
The Immovable — the-non-irritable.
In that state should the wise one grow
Today itself should one bestir
Tomorrow death may come — who knows?
For no bargain can we strike
With Death who has his mighty hosts.
But one who dwells thus ardently
By day, by night, untiringly
Him the Tranquil Sage has called
The Ideal Lover of Solitude."

In short, if your practice is to discern the present, that is very different from striving which is based on future, or on remembering, which is based on the past, but if you keep your practice about what is happening now, comprehending things now, then any effort you put into that is right effort and conducive to insight. This balanced with the other 7 factors: mindfulness, investigation, effort, rapture, tranquility, concentration and equanimity, leads to wisdom.

In short, don't be afraid to practice correctly, meaning comprehend the true nature of sensations as they arise.

Good luck on your retreat. Habitually increase the quality of the stream of present information: this will serve you well.

Daniel
Bob Myrick, modified 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 7:18 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 7:11 AM

Thanks Daniel, this is nice stuff.

Somehow my first post, to which Daniel has responded, got lost for me on my browser, so I repeated it but with slightly different content, only to later find that the first attempt made it on to the forum also.

Apologies.

Perhaps a moderator can delete this first, but get Daniels response into the other thread. The second attempt is probably slightly better, having been edited by me a bit more. Plus it included my "plan"

If this thread stays up, I suggest interested readers to move to the other one.

Thanks

Breadcrumb