Leveraging Fire Kasina as support for stabilizing Dzogchen practices

Bodhi Svaha, modified 10 Months ago at 6/26/23 5:02 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/26/23 5:02 PM

Leveraging Fire Kasina as support for stabilizing Dzogchen practices

Hi,

My main practice is the Nature of Mind practices which would include mostly progressing through the maps of accessing the natural state, stabilizing it, then integrating it into daily activities (i.e. mixing). My challenge is the stabilization part where most of my teachers have always recommended some sort of shamatha practice to keep staying in the view. In my experience, TMI or other forms of using the breath as an object for me takes a long time and would prefer a bit more expedited path.

This is where the Fire Kasina practice comes in where the appeal is the immediate feedback of how the concentration power is progressing through a visual feedback that can act like a progress bar. It goes through a somewhat predictable sequence that can help me track how far along I am getting with the practice.

Here is probably where I would need some advice: is there a specific phase where I can be "content" with the level of concentration that I would gain from the fire kasina practice? I am not particularly interested at this point in time with the "light show" or "powers" that would be brought by higher doses of the practice, but more of the level of concentration that I can use to support my Dzogchen/Mahamudra practice. 

My current analysis of my practices:
Dzogchen = relatively easy access to the boundless, changeless, centerless aspect of rigpa but sustaining the duration is challenging especially off the cushion
Fire Kasina = seeing the red dot for longer periods of time but no moving colors within the red dots yet.

​​​​​​​Thank you so much!
thumbnail
Aeon , modified 10 Months ago at 6/26/23 6:08 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/26/23 6:05 PM

RE: Leveraging Fire Kasina as support for stabilizing Dzogchen practices

I did tratak/fire kasina  for 30mins daily a while back. Result was flow state at will in day to day life, stronger concentration, no "murk", light-show, screens or powers at that dose.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Months ago at 6/30/23 5:08 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/30/23 5:08 PM

RE: Leveraging Fire Kasina as support for stabilizing Dzogchen practices

Bodhi Svaha
Hi,
heya!

My main practice is the Nature of Mind practices which would include mostly progressing through the maps of accessing the natural state, stabilizing it, then integrating it into daily activities (i.e. mixing).
1) maps of accessing the natural state? What might that be?

My challenge is the stabilization part where most of my teachers have always recommended some sort of shamatha practice to keep staying in the view.
2)So you have multiple teachers? Did you follow their instructions?

In my experience, TMI or other forms of using the breath as an object for me takes a long time and would prefer a bit more expedited path.
3) Ahh, you want a short cut.....

This is where the Fire Kasina practice comes in where the appeal is the immediate feedback of how the concentration power is progressing through a visual feedback that can act like a progress bar. It goes through a somewhat predictable sequence that can help me track how far along I am getting with the practice.
4) Progress bar? For concentration? Please explain this. Did you get this from your teachers?

Here is probably where I would need some advice: is there a specific phase where I can be "content" with the level of concentration that I would gain from the fire kasina practice? I am not particularly interested at this point in time with the "light show" or "powers" that would be brought by higher doses of the practice, but more of the level of concentration that I can use to support my Dzogchen/Mahamudra practice. 
5) Dzogchen/Mahamudra? how are you practicing that?

My current analysis of my practices:
Dzogchen = relatively easy access to the boundless, changeless, centerless aspect of rigpa but sustaining the duration is challenging especially off the cushion
6) rigpa? How would you describe that? What duration?
​​​​​​​
Thank you so much!
you bet!
~D

Breadcrumb