Can kasina cause you to be cross-eyed?

Michal, modified 9 Months ago at 7/22/23 2:07 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/22/23 2:07 PM

Can kasina cause you to be cross-eyed?

Hi,
I might just be paranoid or OCD or something but I think that my left eye (which has been stronger since birth) is now looking more to the left.

Kasina has been my main technique for almost a year. I have also done a retreat.

Could it be that because I am looking mainly with my left eye (because the weaker - right eye - does not work as much) the visuals get developed in a crooked way?

I also feel it physically. 

Might be mental, because if I look at other peoples eyes they are assymetrical too.

But if something has gone wrong it could be dangerous...

Any thoughts?

I might have to contact an eye doctor, I dont know how I would explain how it happened to him emoticon.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 9 Months ago at 7/22/23 2:44 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/22/23 2:44 PM

RE: Can kasina cause you to be cross-eyed?

Hi,
Your concern is valid.

Probably the most important factor is your age, and the current health situation of your eyes.
I am crossed-eyes, and I have done lots of kasina practice, so I understand what you are saying. What I've noticed, is that for an adult, it takes a long time to have actual effect in the muscles. For instance, I've tried to do certain exercises with my eye muscles to improve my eyes condition, and normally if I do it for several weeks, and hours each day, then I could expect that it would have some effect, but I should keep doing it to maintain the effect, but in young people, the damage could take much shorter time, and also the improvement. I am 40 now, and what takes 4 weeks currently for me with eye exercises, would take a week or shorter, 10 years ago.

I think with kasina, the main factor is that the eyes and eye muscles, face and neck muscles should be relaxed, and you should not be "trying" to center the gaze. You just rest the attention in the center of the visual field, and relax, and when it goes to another object, you just place it their and rest.
Also, although eyes play a part in the practice, but it's actually centering of the attention in the visual field that is important, not centering the gaze, or forcing the eyes to look at the center. I mean, the objects, like red dot or black dot, are mind-generated, and it should work without much participation from the eyes. Eyes are used to just initially light the fire, but it should continue by the mind itself afterward.
With that, it should not cause problem to your eyes if your are not putting too much force in it. But it's wise to check with a doctor that is specialized in strabismus.

Michal, modified 9 Months ago at 7/22/23 4:49 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/22/23 4:49 PM

RE: Can kasina cause you to be cross-eyed?

Siavash '
 Hi,
Your concern is valid.

Probably the most important factor is your age, and the current health situation of your eyes.
I am crossed-eyes, and I have done lots of kasina practice, so I understand what you are saying. What I've noticed, is that for an adult, it takes a long time to have actual effect in the muscles. For instance, I've tried to do certain exercises with my eye muscles to improve my eyes condition, and normally if I do it for several weeks, and hours each day, then I could expect that it would have some effect, but I should keep doing it to maintain the effect, but in young people, the damage could take much shorter time, and also the improvement. I am 40 now, and what takes 4 weeks currently for me with eye exercises, would take a week or shorter, 10 years ago.

I think with kasina, the main factor is that the eyes and eye muscles, face and neck muscles should be relaxed, and you should not be "trying" to center the gaze. You just rest the attention in the center of the visual field, and relax, and when it goes to another object, you just place it their and rest.
Also, although eyes play a part in the practice, but it's actually centering of the attention in the visual field that is important, not centering the gaze, or forcing the eyes to look at the center. I mean, the objects, like red dot or black dot, are mind-generated, and it should work without much participation from the eyes. Eyes are used to just initially light the fire, but it should continue by the mind itself afterward.
With that, it should not cause problem to your eyes if your are not putting too much force in it. But it's wise to check with a doctor that is specialized in strabismus.

​​​​​​​Thanks for the comment! Very helpful.

Breadcrumb